Improved paint mix eases Apple's white iPhone 4 woes - sources

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has partnered with a Japanese company to develop a new material that could allow it to finally release the long-delayed white iPhone 4, AppleInsider has been told.

People close to Apple's Far Eastern partners said this week that a unnamed Japanese company has crafted a new paint material at the iPhone maker's request that allows for greater control and precision when it comes to the thickness of the paint layer being applied to the handsets. With this material, Apple has apparently been able to successfully manufacture white iPhone 4 that meet its high level of standards.

Using earlier painting methods, Apple's attempts to manufacture the white iPhone 4 were said to have resulted in a "huge" number of defective handsets. The percentage was said to be so high that Apple simply could not proceed with manufacturing of the white iPhone 4 until a solution was produced.

Though the yield rate of the new process for building the white iPhone 4 is said to be improved, those same people said it was uncertain just how much. Because of this, it remains unclear whether the white iPhone 4 is in fact on track for a spring release, though those privy to details surrounding the matter say the advent of the new paint technology saved Apple from having to abandon plans for the model.

Regardless, the message is clear that Apple has not given up hope on manufacturing a white version of the iPhone 4, even as an anticipated launch of a fifth-generation iPhone in June looms.

Internal stock listings from AT&T and Best Buy have only recently suggested that Apple is finally gearing up for a launch of the white iPhone 4 in earnest, with the latter listing an in-stock date of Feb. 27. But it's unknown whether those listings are based on actual information, or are simply placeholders derived from Apple's statement that the white iPhone 4 would launch in Spring 2011.

That most recent delay was announced by Apple in October, when the company again confirmed that it continues to experience issues in manufacturing the white iPhone 4. Spring does not officially start until March 20, 2011 -- 9 months after the iPhone 4 went on sale.

Even without options for a color other than black, the iPhone 4 has been Apple's best selling handset yet, reaching 16.2 million units last quarter alone. Executives from the Cupertino, Calif., company revealed last week that they would have sold many more handsets if they had been able to keep up with overwhelming demand.

"We continue to have a sizable backlog, and believe we could have sold even more iPhones if we had been able to supply them," Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer said in his company's quarterly earnings conference call.

Though the white iPhone 4 is not officially available for sale, some have been custom built with parts allegedly leaked from Apple's overseas supply chain. Among those who own a custom white iPhone 4 is Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Just don't paint it that way.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Just cancel the damn thing for the iPhone 4. Begin anew in generation 5.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Yup, those workers will have to say goodbye to their lunar new year vacation for another year.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Does someone really still want a white one? And if so, why? I know they would be different...for about a week until there are millions of them everywhere, then it loses its supposed charm. Don't most people just buy a case anyway? How about a white case people? If I were Steve I would have canned this white iphone business a long time ago.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I imagine its just a matter of pride and stubbornness now, they certainly don't need to make a white one, and it won't net them a huge number of sales; they're just pissed that the damn paint has caused them so much of a problem, so they will beat it.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Does someone really still want a white one? .

My friend in Austria says that the black iPhones absorb too much heat when exposed to direct sunlight.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:

Does someone really still want a white one? And if so, why? I know they would be different...for about a week until there are millions of them everywhere, then it loses its supposed charm. Don't most people just buy a case anyway? How about a white case people? If I were Steve I would have canned this white iphone business a long time ago.

I do. I got a black iPhone 4 because the white wasn't available. I won't be getting one until my contract expires next year. I don't use a case on my phone, I use a clear protector. As per why someone would want a white one? I can only speak for myself and my reason is nostalgia for the original iPod. Is that a good reason? Who cares! I just want one.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

I'm getting a white iP5 for the mrs.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaweston View Post

My friend in Austria says that the black iPhones absorb too much heat when exposed to direct sunlight.

Hmm... I think anything exposed to direct sunlight will get hot(ter) regardless.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

I do. I got a black iPhone 4 because the white wasn't available. I won't be getting one until my contract expires next year. I don't use a case on my phone, I use a clear protector. As per why someone would want a white one? I can only speak for myself and my reason is nostalgia for the original iPod. Is that a good reason? Who cares! I just want one.

I care...and no that isn't a good reason. I'm kidding, do what you want. It's just surprising that anyone still has the desire given all the delays. It would have broken my will a long time ago if i were in the white iPhone camp. I hope you enjoy it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

I'm getting a white iP5 for the mrs.

Hmmm, well not to mess with your plan, but I am hoping that the rumor of a redesign is true and they go with something other than glass on the back. Of course I suppose they could still offer a white front glass, so we could both get what we want. Is it June yet? Dammit
  • Reply 11 of 23
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I agree- embarassing- who cares about a white iPhone 4 anymore?

Lesson learned- never make promises that you can't keep.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

You want one NOW?? Like an Oompa- Loompa?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaweston View Post

Here in the Pacific Northwest, we've only read about this thing called "Direct Sunlight". The black iPhones work fine for us!
  • Reply 14 of 23
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

People close to Apple's Far Eastern partners said this week that a unnamed Japanese company has crafted a new paint material at the iPhone maker's request that allows for greater control and precision when it comes to the thickness of the paint layer being applied to the handsets. With this material, Apple has apparently been able to successfully manufacture white iPhone 4 that meet its high level of standards.

I find it strange how Apple put so much effort into certain areas with technical problems and not others. Like finding ways to reduce glare in the glass in everything they sell including the iPhone so that the devices are more usable in daylight. That's way more important than making a white model.

The problem with the camera could surely have been solved by just isolating the lens from the white surrounds. It seems like overkill to delay it by months and source new paint manufacturers.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    [QUOTE=DJinTX;1793829]I care...and no that isn't a good reason. I'm kidding, do what you want. It's just surprising that anyone still has the desire given all the delays. It would have broken my will a long time ago if i were in the white iPhone camp. I hope you enjoy it.

It did break my will. That's why I'm waiting until my contract ends next year. \
  • Reply 16 of 23
    the whole White iPhone Debacle seems like a hoax, intended to spin up even more press about unquenched demand for phones. just 5 months before releasing 4's successor, they're revving up the rumor mill about the wayward great white hope? seems silly they would devote resource to actually making & distributing this phone now - but clever to keep the rumors flying, which costs nothing. Whatevs.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

That brings up an interesting point, back during the antenna gate discussions, there was a survey that said ~70 percent have cases anyway(reciting from my poor memory so forgive please if not correct). Seems like a lot a trouble to just be 'aesthetic'.

For me personally, I don't use a case, so I would like more color options.

Nice midnight blue please.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

That brings up an interesting point, back during the antenna gate discussions, there was a survey that said ~70 percent have cases anyway(reciting from my poor memory so forgive please if not correct). Seems like a lot a trouble to just be 'aesthetic'.

For me personally, I don't use a case, so I would like more color options.

Nice midnight blue please.

I agree...I love midnight blue. Most dark colors i think would look good, but white just reminds me of this old samsung slider phone that my wife had forever. It was so cheap and plastic-y.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    The incremental costs for Apple to bring a white iPhone to market -- manufacturing, logistics, distribution, marketing -- are so low that it would be silly of them not to do it if it's good to go.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    I asked this before but did not see any replies: Are there any markets where a white iPhone might be preferred to black.

I know in audio some years back, several manufacturers offered brushed gold (Marantz) or brushed silver (Denon) in Europe & Asia even though they only offered black in the US. There was apparently demand for these colors in these markets. Is it possibly the same with the iPhone?