Pixelmator reports $1 million haul from Mac App Store in just 20 days

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Less than three weeks after listing Pixelmator on Apple's new Mac App Store, its developers report grossing a million dollars from the title, while Microsoft and some other big Mac developers have yet to engage the new online market.

Pixelmator's co-developer Saulius Dailide wrote in the company's blog that he was "ecstatic" to be able to report the news, and noted the apps high ratings in the US, UK and German App Stores.

"Such an amazing success feels fantastic. Thank you so much for your enthusiastic support."

Pixelmator is currently the fourth highest grossing title in the Mac App Store, behind Apple's own Aperture, iPhoto, and Pages (non of which are new versions; Aperture is significantly reduced in price however.)

The rest of the top grossing list includes the $5 Angry Birds game at fifth place, the $50 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare at seventh, $30 Civilization IV Colonization at number ten, and filled in by Apple's iMovie, Keynote and Numbers at sixth, eighth and ninth, respectively.

This indicates Apple itself is making additional millions from its current versions of iLife and iWork titles. While iLife was updated last fall, iWork apps haven't seen a major new reference release since the beginning of 2009.

Betting big on the Mac App Store

Pixelmator's developers decided to bank on the success of the new Mac App Store from the start, announcing plans to exclusively distribute its app online via the new store, phasing out direct sales.

The company also slashed the price of Pixelmator from $59.99 to a limited time offer of $29.99, in part as a concession to existing users who will need to repurchase the app to get downloads through the App Store.

The limited time offer is available to everyone however, and includes a free upgrade to the upcoming 2.0 release.

A report by Wall Street Journal blogger John Paczkowski cited Pixelmator co-founder Aidas Dailide as saying that the company sold about 33,000 copies of the software at $29.99 to gross $1 million, noting that ?the jump in sales was dramatic.?

The report also stated that Pixelmator's developers had no problem with Apple taking a cut to merchandize and promote their work, with Dailide saying, ?the 30 percent cut is definitely worth it. The increase in sales and exposure is worth much more than that. Especially in our case.?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    Quote:

not being able to install background processes, needing to be self contained, and being unable to use undocumented, private APIs.

Really? Had no idea. Does this break a lot current apps, or is it easy for devs to work around?

Isn't "self contained" and "no background processes" redundant?
  • Reply 2 of 52
    My biggest problem with the mac app store so far is that I cant trust the reviews, everything I have looked at has gotten very good ratings. Leading me to think the early adopters are excited about the process and that's clouding their judgement or there's something shady happening.

My point: I have been looking at purchasing Pixelmator but wanted a review I could trust. I'd love to hear peoples opinion of it.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    This show just how good the APple is at running an App Store.

What Apple needs to do ASAP is open the Windows App Store - APPLE STYLE !

This would totally rock and would finally give the Windows platform the one-click app install sorely needed. Apple needs to bring Windows into the fold and give all those desperate Windows users the true "Apple ecosystem experience", it would totally be a game changer for the worlds most popular desktop platform.

These stores are gold mines for Cupertino and they need to expand them as rapidly as possible because everybody seems to be copying Apple's every move these days. No time to waste here. Lets get this done ASAP !

Also, absolutely no reason Apple could not create a much superior Android App Store than the horrendous Market that the Google haphazardly slapped together. It is totally ironic that the search king makes it almost impossible to find (aka search) apps on the Android platform.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

really? Had no idea. Does this break a lot current apps, or is it easy for devs to work around?

I think self contained means that it is all in one package of files and not spread all over the system.

Background processes probably means no "calling home" invisible apps and no autoupdate app.

• Reply 5 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youda Farmer View Post

This would totally rock and would finally give the Windows platform the one-click app install sorely needed. Apple needs to bring Windows into the fold and give all those desperate Windows users the true "Apple ecosystem experience", it would totally be a game changer for the worlds most popular desktop platform.

These stores are gold mines for Cupertino and they need to expand them as rapidly as possible because everybody seems to be copying Apple's every move these days. No time to waste here. Lets get this done ASAP !

Also, absolutely no reason Apple could not create a much superior Android App Store than the horrendous Market that the Google haphazardly slapped together. It is totally ironic that the search king makes it almost impossible to find (aka search) apps on the Android platform.

You are kidding, yes, or do you totally miss the point of an app store and what it is really for? =\\
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

My biggest problem with the mac app store so far is that I cant trust the reviews, everything I have looked at has gotten very good ratings. Leading me to think the early adopters are excited about the process and that's clouding their judgement or there's something shady happening.

My point: I have been looking at purchasing Pixelmator but wanted a review I could trust. I'd love to hear peoples opinion of it.

Don't waste time trying to find something to "TRUST". If you want someone to trust I would invite you to get a DOG (man's most loyal and trustworthy companion).

Seriously, just purchase Pixelmator, if you don't like you simply purchase another app, this is the beauty of the App Store, it makes it so simple to purchase/test apps like never before. The App Store puts you in the driver's seat, be your own reviewer, it simple, just purchase and review. Most of these Apps are so cheap its a no-brainer to get them. Seriously Dude. Just Do It.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Microsoft and Adobe Products will never reach the App Store IMO. Adobe and Microsoft have been using License Keys with their products for years, something which the App Store does not permit in their software. This I believe is the biggest factor holding them back from editing their Applications for the Mac App Store.

In it's current state the Mac App Store is achieving it's goal: To promote small-timer applications such as Pixelmator etc. Big companies will continue to provide Trials and Downloads directly from their Websites, as Microsoft and Adobe have proven.

Although, not even Adobe Reader? Seriously Adobe/Apple?

Quote:

Really? Had no idea. Does this break a lot current apps, or is it easy for devs to work around?

Self-Contained means it can't install any Library Kexts etc. The only thing it can do is install <Insert Name Here>.app in your Applications Folder, no other files. Its quite stupid, considering that one of Apple's own Softwares is in violation of this, FInal Cut Pro contains User Documents directly in the Boot Drive, and even MSN Messenger has User Data Folders.

Possibly other Applications as well that I'm not aware of.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Less than three weeks after listing Pixelmator on Apple's new Mac App Store, its developers report grossing a million dollars from the title ...

Maybe with all the new customers they will finally give us the option of using a standard UI instead of that icky black junk.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,855member
    So, which serial troll was recently banned and has come back as Youda Farmer?
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Looks like MS and Adobe have missed the boat. Again! Bumblin' stumblin'
  • Reply 11 of 52
    oskiooskio Posts: 60member
    I can't tell you how awesome it is to have all these apps available in one spot and so easy to download and maintain. The app store is great but in the end the customer loses. We lose the creativity of the developers to include abilities that we would enjoy but would deprive Apple of income or security. Apple is greedy....but to be honest, if I was in their shoes I would probably make the same decisions. Does that make me greedy?
  • Reply 12 of 52
    Quote:

Don't waste time trying to find something to "TRUST". If you want someone to trust I would invite you to get a DOG (man's most loyal and trustworthy companion).

Seriously, just purchase Pixelmator, if you don't like you simply purchase another app, this is the beauty of the App Store, it makes it so simple to purchase/test apps like never before. The App Store puts you in the driver's seat, be your own reviewer, it simple, just purchase and review. Most of these Apps are so cheap its a no-brainer to get them. Seriously Dude. Just Do It.

BTW, I am currently training my Beagle to sniff out bad apps. So far he nose his business. And yes, his name is Steve in honor of the Apple CEO, of course.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Quote:

I think Youda is thinking outside the box here....what he suggests is along the lines of Safari for Windows and also iTunes for Windows....Having said that, I don't think Apple really wants to take on dealing with the logistics with Windows crap OS. Too many headaches...but Apple did do it with iTunes. Good thinking Youda!
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

I can't tell you how awesome it is to have all these apps available in one spot and so easy to download and maintain. The app store is great but in the end the customer loses. We lose the creativity of the developers to include abilities that we would enjoy but would deprive Apple of income or security. Apple is greedy....but to be honest, if I was in their shoes I would probably make the same decisions. Does that make me greedy?

How can Apple be GREEDY ? They only take 30 PERCENT !

If you wanna see greed I would invite you to visit Wall $treet, Investment Bankers, Insurance Companies, etc.

IMO Apple is anything BUT Greedy. Also it is very good to have someone that monitors the quality and integrity of apps for you, this saves people huge amounts of time and resources to be sure. Do you really think you can do better job than the second largest company in the world with all their vast resources and $60 BILLION IN CASH and absolutely no debts.

I THINK NOT FRIENDO !

Best to leave App Management in the hands of the Professionals in Cupertino, thank you very much.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Quote:

What are you?
  • Reply 16 of 52
    This is really great to hear. I am pleased that indy developers can get rewarded for their work. It should inspire a new generation of programmers as well.

Specifically regarding Pixelmator...it isn't bad. The UI takes some getting used to. I think Acorn is better and more like Photoshop. If you're a long time Photoshop user, both of these programs have their plusses and minuses.

I bet Adobe is scrambling to figure out how to compete in this new marketplace.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:

How can Apple be GREEDY ? They only take 30 PERCENT !

If you wanna see greed I would invite you to visit Wall $treet, Investment Bankers, Insurance Companies, etc.

IMO Apple is anything BUT Greedy. Also it is very good to have someone that monitors the quality and integrity of apps for you, this saves people huge amounts of time and resources to be sure. Do you really think you can do better job than the second largest company in the world with all their vast resources and $60 BILLION IN CASH and absolutely no debts.

I THINK NOT FRIENDO !

Best to leave App Management in the hands of the Professionals in Cupertino, thank you very much.

Oh Apple is greedy. If not greedy at the very least Control-Freaks.

Custom Screws on all their Products, overpriced Desktops (For the 3000$ it costs to buy a High-End Quad-Core iMac I can buy a Machine with double the power. USB 3.0 included), no ability to upgrade Hardware minus RAM, sometimes Hard Drives. The MBA is almost entirely soldered for example.

Yeah, not greedy, they just adore overpricing all of their products.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Less than three weeks after listing Pixelmator on Apple's new Mac App Store, its developers report grossing a million dollars from the title, while Microsoft and some other big Mac developers have yet to engage the new online market.

Pixelmator's co-developer Saulius Dailide wrote in the company's blog that he was "ecstatic" to be able to report the news, and noted the apps high ratings in the US, UK and German App Stores.

That's pretty impressive earnings for a couple of developers. Pixelmator is a nice app for the price. Most of the UI is really nice - I'm not a fan of the dangling line on dialogs but it has developed into a neat image editor with some useful filters. It could use batch operations (not Automator based though) and some other PS tools but overall great for the bulk of photo editing.

There are over 50 million Mac users out there now and image editing is an essential task so these sales are something developers can expect if they have good products. Hopefully we will see more software ported, especially games. Now that MW1 is making some money, perhaps Activision can find the time to spend some of it recompiling a native port of MW2 and Black Ops even if $1m is pocket change compared to the $1b they make off each title already.

A cheaper Office Suite would be good to see in the Store. Office 2011 is a decent package but is priced a bit high.

The thing I really like about online stores is how KT Tunstall put it in relation to the music store: they make legal purchases somehow feel more worthwhile. When there is so much software available to download easily without paying, when you buy a physical disc, you almost feel stupid for spending lots of money to wait on a disc being sent to you when you could get it within minutes and pay nothing. With stores, they at least offer features, fast access and the knowledge that you are supporting the developers.

One issue I see when it comes to games though is that I'd rather use Steam as they offer Steamplay on titles. If Apple could somehow link the two up so that Steam gets more marketing traffic and consumers get the same benefits, that would be great. Even just some referral scheme where Apple take a small fee for referring games hosted on Steam. They don't even have to host the download.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    Go Pixelmator! This is great news.

Finally an image manipulation app that isn't retarded in the UI department (PhotoPlop).
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, which serial troll was recently banned and has come back as Youda Farmer?

No Troll. Youda happens to be one of the top engineers at Apple.

[please show some respect and keep your labels to yourself]