Verizon offering 3 a.m. Eastern Feb. 3 iPhone preorder to all existing customers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With less than a week to go before preorders for Apple's iPhone 4 on Verizon commence, the carrier has launched a new teaser countdown page for existing customers, telling them to come back at 3 a.m. Eastern on Feb. 3.

Though Verizon sent out emails to business customers earlier this week notifying them of the 3 a.m. start, the new page is the first time that all existing customers were informed of the time. Verizon customers will, of course, still need to check with the carrier to verify that they are eligible for an iPhone upgrade.

Verizon's iPhone frequently asked questions page still states that preorders will begin "on or around February 3rd 2011" and will be sold on a "first come, first serve" basis.

While a 3 a.m. Eastern time may seem an odd time for Verizon to begin taking iPhone 4 preorders, it's the earliest time where all contiguous states will have reached Feb. 3.

The 16GB iPhone 4 model will cost $199, while the 32GB model will cost $299, each with a 2-year contract. A leak on the Apple website Wednesday revealed that Verizon's voice plans for the iPhone 4 will start at $39.99 per month, with unlimited data for $29.99, and the option of 2GB of data tethering for an additional $20. According to one Verizon executive, the company's unlimited data plan will only be available for a limited time before being phased out for a tiered pricing structure.

After years of speculation and rumors, Apple's successful smartphone officially goes on sale through Verizon on Feb. 10.

In preparation for the launch, Verizon has also begun carrying cases for the CDMA iPhone 4 on its website. Apple recently began offering a universal bumper case that fits both the GSM and CDMA models of the iPhone 4, since the new CDMA iPhone has a new antenna design that necessitated moving the mute switch slightly.

Verizon Chief Financial Officer Francis Shammo told investors Tuesday that the carrier has invested significant resources into the long-awaited launch of the iPhone. "We are not going to have any flaws on the execution of the iPhone launch," he said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Any predictions on the number of pre-order sales, how fast they’ll sell out*, and if they will experience any AT&Troubles with their pre-order system?

* I can’t imagine they won’t sell out, but I am still reading several people swearing up and down that no one will buy an iPhone 4 halfway through the standard release cycle despite excessive evidence to the contrary.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Meanwhile, back at AT&T, management isn't worried about customers switching from them to Verizon. Not because their customers are happy with their service, but because they have them under long-term contract, with insanely high contract termination fees.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Any predictions on the number of pre-order sales, how fast they?ll sell out*, and if they will experience any AT&Troubles with their pre-order system?

* I can?t imagine they won?t sell out, but I am still reading several people swearing up and down that no one will buy an iPhone 4 halfway through the standard release cycle despite excessive evidence to the contrary.

I'll bet at least 1.5 million (through Feb 10 - not just Feb 3). Same as AT&T last summer. I'll be one of them.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

Meanwhile, back at AT&T, management isn't worried about customers switching from them to Verizon. Not because their customers are happy with their service, but because they have them under long-term contract, with insanely high contract termination fees.

Wonder how long before we have "Dueling Banjos" speed comparisons between iPhone 4's from the two carriers - side-by-side at the same spot....wait - we are right next to a (ATT or Verizon) cellphone tower, so the competitor's phone looks much slower, and we get youTube videos ad nauseum with these comparisons, until the lame Consumer Reports gets to put their drivel in the news again. (I can hear it now - "We can't recommend EITHER phone, even though both are the best of breed, because of blah, blah, blah.") \
  • Reply 5 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

I'll bet at least 1.5 million (through Feb 10 - not just Feb 3). Same as AT&T last summer. I'll be one of them.

Last year AT&T and Apple for AT&T took 600k pre-orders. On the opening weekend, Thursday through Sunday, they sold 1.7M units, but that number includes 5 countries, which I think includes several more carriers for those 4 non-US countries.

I think Verizon can easily do 600k pre-orders. Getting 1.7M sales open weekend, Thursday, Feb 10th through Sunday, Feb 13th, seems too far to reach. I have doubts they’ll have more than 1M units on hand for Verizon’s opening weekend.

If they beat AT&T’s opening for the iPhone 4 I’ll laugh at the naysayers. If they beat all iPhone 4 opening sales for 5 countries and all associated carriers I don’t know what I’ll do… maybe buy more stock.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Quote:

Last year AT&T and Apple for AT&T took 600k pre-orders. On the opening weekend, Thursday through Sunday, they sold 1.7M units, but that number includes 5 countries, which I think includes several more carriers for those 4 non-US countries.

I think Verizon can easily do 600k pre-orders. Getting 1.7M sales open weekend, Thursday, Feb 10th through Sunday, Feb 13th, seems too far to reach. I have doubts they?ll have more than 1M units on hand for Verizon?s opening weekend.

If they beat AT&T?s opening for the iPhone 4 I?ll laugh at the naysayers. If they beat all iPhone 4 opening sales for 5 countries and all associated carriers I don?t know what I?ll do? maybe buy more stock.

You should probably buy more stock anyway. If you can afford it when the price keeps rising.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    At least a million probably more, considering that Foxconn will be working through the lunar New Year. Anticipate long lines and high demand.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Of course if you want to actually see the countdown, you'll need a device capable of running Adobe Flash.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    My upgrade isn't until April 1st should I just wait 2 months for the newer iPhone? And this is assuming it will come out for both carriers, or all...
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPad999 View Post

My upgrade isn't until April 1st should I just wait 2 months for the newer iPhone? And this is assuming it will come out for both carriers, or all...

Yes it will come out for the two carriers at the same time.

Apple is good with their execution, and that's the right thing to do.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:

The only time people worry about early termination fees is when they get laid off. I know they're just covering for the subsidized phone, but really... I could see this if I had a Droid or iPhone. Why do I get whacked if I have what is called a 'feature phone'?
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

The only time people worry about early termination fees is when they get laid off. I know they're just covering for the subsidized phone, but really... I could see this if I had a Droid or iPhone. Why do I get whacked if I have what is called a 'feature phone'?

Verizon has a trade-in program that will likely cover pretty much everyone’s ETF for undamaged.
    edit: Probably can make more selling it on eBay or Craig’s List, but the trade-in is always an option for those desperate to switch but don’t want the hassle of selling.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PGSeattle View Post

Of course if you want to actually see the countdown, you'll need a device capable of running Adobe Flash.

I'm not that 'tech' minded, but did we really need flash to see apple's app store countdown?
  • Reply 14 of 60
    Quote:

Verizon has a trade-in program that will likely cover pretty much everyone?s ETF, expect maybe 3GS phones that were bought after the iPhone 4 was announced, but I can?t people who would get an old model iPhone wanting to get get the iPhone 4 immediately now and pay a hefty ETF to do it. It?s just not a consistent pattern to be a common maneuver.

I love Solipsism, but I don't know what that means... I would be starting a 'new' contract, whether it's with AT&T or Verizon.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    Quote:

I'm not that 'tech' minded, but did we really need flash to see apple's app store countdown?

He?s referring to Verizon?s counter. It uses Adobe Flash. Apple?s countdown timers are all done in modern webcode.

I didn?t check out the most recent clock for 10B App Store purchases, but the previous counter for 1B apps less than a year ago is described and shown here.
    This next link is the ?filnstrip? PNG Apple used for the counter. It?s basically a single image used for each digit and 5 other images between showing a transition between each number. They run this image from top to bottom, staying on an area for a set amount of time based on the vertical pixel position and the window for the visual part of the image to be shown.
    Google also uses this for their clever animations in their google.com logo for notable days.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    recrec Posts: 217member
    There are alot of people out there walking the Earth (in this country) who aren't under any contract. They're on ATT, sprint, Tmobile or Verizon and they want iPhones. Many Verizon customers get a cheap non-contract or short-contract Android phone just waiting and biding their time for this release.

Hell I was contractless for a while after my 2 years were up with the original iPhone. I waited for a significant upgrade which turned out to be an iPhone 4. I really don't know why everyone assumes that just because you have a cell phone you also have some kind of draconian contract. I'm sure many don't and will jump ship at the right time for the right product... ie, this one.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    Quote:

My contract ends in July - I would not buy iPhone4 anyway - waiting for iPhone5. The signal is great in my area, never had significant problems so I'll stay with ATT later on as well.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:

We're not talking about Apple's countdowns, and no, Apple does NOT use Flash for them.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I'll be going back to Verizon, of for no other reason then coverage. My Sprint service, well it comes close to Sucking here (in Maine). I was a nice Dad, and did it because my son wanted a - hell I don't even know what phone he got, HGC 4 or some damn thing.

In any case, we (all 6 of us, get poor reception, but he's got his damn ?).

I travel a fiar amount, my son-in-law is a tanker driver, who drives New England (and some way the f%$#k, out of the way places in NH, and VT, and he doesn't get service in 40% of his driving area. So when the time comes (although Sprit says they are adding towers to Maine), we'll be switching back, unless of course they in-fact do add more towers and reception is no longer an issue.

Skip

PS. We'll likely end up with 4 maybe 5 iPhones if we switch.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Quote:

Well, the ETF isn't a bad deal. I always hear the common gripe about signing 2-year contracts, but they are far the best deal. I shake my head when I see someone paying full retail price to avoid a contract. The point is-- no matter what, one has to pay for monthly service regardless whether contract or no commitment (month to month).

AT&T iPhone = $600 no contract /$200 contact. EFT= $325 & decreases $10 each month in contract. So, after 12 months, ETF is $205. Total cost to cancel after a year would be $405, almost $200 cheaper than without a contract.

Similarly, Verizon iPhone= $650 / $200 2yr / $350 ETF.

And the deal can even get better.... AT&T offers me a upgrade after 1 year in conjunction with resigning another 2yr. Thus, I have been able to get new iPhone every year, as I have had all 4. I know friends that have sold their 1 year old iPhones for $300, buying new for $200, netting $100 extra. Without a contract, the last 3 iPhones would have cost $1800 total, whereby a 2-year contract $600 total. I guess the bottom line is that you have to pay for monthly service no matter what for the phone to be of any use, and a two agreement offers significant discounts. If one has a change of heart, the most it will cost is 325, least 85, and considering the resale value of the iPhone, it may actually not result in any monetary loss to switch providers.