Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak says white iPhone 4 shipping soon

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak said in an interview that the white iPhone 4 will ship soon, while also confirming camera issues with do-it-yourself white iPhone 4s modified using leaked Foxconn parts.

Wozniak told Engadget in an interview Sunday that the manufacturing issue with the white iPhone had been fixed and that the handset should be released in the near future.

Last month, Wozniak revealed that he had a white iPhone 4, which he had modified from a black iPhone 4 using a kit ordered from a website. At the time, Wozniak admitted that the kit had a few defects.

During Sunday's interview, Wozniak expounded upon the defects, explaining that photos taken with the modded white iPhone 4 using the flash look as if "taken through cellophane" because of light leaking through the white-painted glass.

AppleInsider reported last week that Apple has partnered with a Japanese company to craft a new paint material that will work for the white iPhone 4. According to the report, the Cupertino, Calif., company struggled with earlier painting methods, which resulted in a "huge" number of defective handsets.

Inventory listings from Best Buy and AT&T suggest that the white iPhone 4 could debut on Feb. 27.

The iPhone maker has announced several delays to the white model of its popular smartphone. In July of last year, Apple CEO Steve Jobs said the white iPhone 4 was on track to ship by the end of the month, only to be contradicted the following week when the company announced that the product would not be available until later that year, a deadline which has, of course, come and gone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iPhone maker has announced several embarrassing delays to the white model of its popular smartphone.

Embarrassing? Embarrassing was when an Apple employee was caught receiving kick backs and leaked product information. This not.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    who needs LTE, NFC, or a partridge in a pear tree?

this year White is the major upgrade!
  • Reply 3 of 35
    IS WOZ GETTING ACCESS TO SENSITIVE COMPANY INFO? WILL HE COME BACK TO APPLE? Someone with real info please enlighten us
  • Reply 4 of 35
    What my wife would really like to know is if Verizon will also get the white iPhone on the 27th or will it just be AT&T.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

I am curious to see if Apple kinda has to introduce more colors in the future...

A white iPhone would make possible hardshell cases in different colors.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heb1228 View Post

What my wife would really like to know is if Verizon will also get the white iPhone on the 27th or will it just be AT&T.

My guess would be that it is being timed to the Verizon rollout. If this was AT&T only, what would be the point this close to their iPhone 4.5 or 5 or whatever it's going to be.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    If there is a problem with White, why not just come out with a different color. Gray, Sliver, Navy, Blue, whatever. This is silly.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

A white iPhone would make possible hardshell cases in different colors.

Agreed. Since most people have always used cases (I believe that stat is true), cases are the best color-customization method. Keep the manufacturing simple!

But having a white phone to start with is kind of cool too. I originally wanted a white iPhone 4 myself (partly to avoid heat from sunlight on my dash-mount). But in the end I do like the simplicity that all the sensors are hidden on the black version. They show up as clutter on the white version?s face. Also, I think the plastic guard around the glass edges looks worse (and probably wears worse over time) on the white version. That plastic is practically unnoticeable on the black version.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marktrek View Post

If there is a problem with White, why not just come out with a different color. Gray, Sliver, Navy, Blue, whatever. This is silly.

There is no longer a problem with white, and there is demand.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    Why is this information coming from Woz?
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Embarrassing? Embarrassing was when an Apple employee was caught receiving kick backs and leaked product information. This not.

At last, someone with a sense of perspective.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by -cj- View Post

Because Woz is Wise?
  • Reply 11 of 35
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -cj- View Post

He's still a large shareholder, is he not?
  • Reply 12 of 35
    oo63oo63 Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

During Sunday's interview, Wozniak expounded upon the defects, explaining that photos taken with the modded white iPhone 4 using the flash look as if "taken through cellophane" because of light leaking through the white-painted glass.

It's leaking light because Woz didn't replace the crappy plastic lens that came with the white panel with the high quality part from the original black panel.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Agreed. Since most people have always used cases (I believe that stat is true), cases are the best color-customization method. Keep the manufacturing simple!

I think the iPhone 4 is an attractive phone. I prefer to keep cases off and I'm certainly not alone. However, I don't think we are enough of a market to justify diversified colors beyond the black and now the white.

That being said, if given a choice of another color to have for my caseless phone I would choose red. Even if attached to the project red campaign with a slight premium I'd likely go with that color over black.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Apple should've used the Google product approach: Release the defective product anyway, slap a Beta sticker on the outside of the box, then fix it (hopefully) in the revision (or three).

Free user feedback!
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

IS WOZ GETTING ACCESS TO SENSITIVE COMPANY INFO? WILL HE COME BACK TO APPLE? Someone with real info please enlighten us

Woz still gets a paycheck from Apple. He's officially a consultant.

He changed his iPhone to white and has probably been told by someone who knows for sure that a real one is around the corner.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Apple should've used the Google product approach: Release the defective product anyway, slap a Beta sticker on the outside of the box, then fix it (hopefully) in the revision (or three).

Free user feedback!

Apple should have used the iPhone 4 roll out approach: release a defective product, mask the defect by offering everyone a silicone case that "fixes" the problem.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    bring it on!

I'm waiting for the white iP4 since last summer...
  • Reply 18 of 35
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Why is it that no one has mentioned that the previous white phones showed scratches very easily, when compared to the black phone (I owned both a black 3G and a white 3GS), and the white 3GS looked like crap when I sold mine on ebay to upgrade to the iPhone 4. I wonder what the "new" white paint job will look like once the normal wear-and-tear scratches start to show?
  • Reply 19 of 35
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    The real lead is, Woz admits to being a counterfeiter.

Why is he still allowed to go out and do interviews without a handler? At this point, Woz has marginalized himself to the point of no return.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

Apple should have used the iPhone 4 roll out approach: release a defective product, mask the defect by offering everyone a silicone case that "fixes" the problem.

Didn't stop you from buying one, evidently.