Apple's iOS reaches 2% worldwide Web browser market share

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iOS, which powers the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, cracked 2 percent of all Web browsing in January, with a share north of 5 percent in both the U.K. and Australia to start 2011.

Net Applications on Tuesday published the results of its latest worldwide browser market share findings. The numbers show that in the month of January, Apple's iOS mobile operating system and the Mobile Safari browser cracked the 2 percent barrier for the first time.

iOS, which runs on the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, represented 2.06 percent of all global browsing in January. The analytics firm noted that growth of iOS market share accelerated over the holidays, a typical pattern for Apple as the company's products are given as gifts.

Apple has the greatest market share presence in Singapore, where iOS devices represented 9.98 percent of all Web browsing traffic. Also noteworthy was Australia, where 5.6 percent of browser traffic came from iOS devices.

The U.K. also had a strong showing, with 5.1 percent of total Web traffic originating from iOS users. In the U.S., 3.4 percent of all browser traffic is represented by Apple's mobile operating system.

Last month, Apple revealed that it has sold more than 160 million iOS devices since the iPhone first launched in 2007. Growth of the iOS platform accelerated considerably in 2010 with the debut of the iPad and the launch of the iPhone 4.

In fact, just days after the iPad launched, the Web browsing presence of the device already rivaled both the Google Android and Research in Motion BlackBerry platforms. The iPad quickly surpassed Android in browser share by July of 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Since iPad is designed to be used for browsing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iOS, which powers the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, cracked 2 percent of all Web browsing in January, with a share north of 5 percent in both the U.K. and Australia to start 2011.

Net Applications on Tuesday published the results of its latest worldwide browser market share findings. The numbers show that in the month of January, Apple's iOS mobile operating system and the Mobile Safari browser cracked the 2 percent barrier for the first time.

iOS, which runs on the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, represented 2.06 percent of all global browsing in January. The analytics firm noted that growth of iOS market share accelerated over the holidays, a typical pattern for Apple as the company's products are given as gifts.

Apple has the greatest market share presence in Singapore, where iOS devices represented 9.98 percent of all Web browsing traffic. Also noteworthy was australia, where 5.6 percent of browser traffic came from iOS devices.

The U.K. also had a strong showing, with 5.1 percent of total Web traffic originating from iOS users. In the U.S., 3.4 percent of all browser traffic is represented by Apple's mobile operating system.

Last month, Apple revealed that it has sold more than 160 million iOS devices since the iPhone first launched in 2007. Growth of the iOS platform accelerated considerably in 2010 with the debut of the iPad and the launch of the iPhone 4.

In fact, just days after the iPad launched, the Web browsing presence of the device already rivaled both the Google Android and Research in Motion BlackBerry platforms. The iPad quickly surpassed Android in browser share by July of 2010.

• Reply 2 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LeCorsaire View Post

How many Internet-connected computers are there? 3.5 billion?

Apple would have to sell 1.25 billion iOS devices, provided the entire market otherwise stagnates. Not happening.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    What share of web browsing does Android have?
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Or MS Windows Phone 7, with it's leaky Yahoo email service?
  • Reply 5 of 32
    I surprised the title of this wasn't LESS than 2% instead of More than 2%. I know for me personally that number is disappointing. I am a web developer for a living and there is no way I would target something with a 2% market share specifically unless that 2% happened to correlate to the particular projects demographic. I think the numbers for mobile browsing in general, including Android and Blackberry are way more influential in web dev than this is.

Having said that there are 2 iPads and 2 iPhones in my house and I know we do the majority of our web browsing on them, and because they support most standards the experience is pretty good.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    (no message)
  • Reply 7 of 32
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 8 of 32
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alkrantz View Post

I am a web developer for a living and there is no way I would target something with a 2% market share specifically unless that 2% happened to correlate to the particular projects demographic. I think the numbers for mobile browsing in general, including Android and Blackberry are way more influential in web dev than this is.

It's very early days yet. The iPhone has just reached over 14 million units per quarter. At the same rate of growth, 2011 would see over 100 million units. PC shipments will be 350 million though. The iPad is at 12 million per year and will probably exceed 30 million in 2011.

This would give them over 35% marketshare. Web share has little to do with marketshare though as not everyone will use the devices for browsing. I think this is what is happening here. Mobile phone screens are just not that great for prolonged browsing so until that iPad share gets up or Apple sell a screen for the iPhone, the web share will remain low.

As you say though, the total number is more important and the great thing about the biggest marketshare players is they all use the same webkit engine. Hopefully one day this will rid us of gecko, trident and presto. If Firefox went to webkit, this would push the webkit share above IE, which would then die out gradually.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I surprised the title of this wasn't LESS than 2% instead of More than 2%. I know for me personally that number is disappointing. I am a web developer for a living and there is no way I would target something with a 2% market share specifically unless that 2% happened to correlate to the particular projects demographic. I think the numbers for mobile browsing in general, including Android and Blackberry are way more influential in web dev than this is.

Having said that there are 2 iPads and 2 iPhones in my house and I know we do the majority of our web browsing on them, and because they support most standards the experience is pretty good.

You should look at your own logs or analytics to see what percent you are getting. It may be less or it may be a lot more than 2%, all depends on your clientele. I'm getting a little over 3% on a medical related site that has no special iOS formatting. FYI I never surf there on my own iOS device and my IPs not included in the stats.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Keep in mind certain things:

Keep in mind this # includes v. populous countries in which iOS devices arent very prevalent, such as China, India, etc and other where they are virtually non-existance. If you focus on NA and Europe, that number would skyrocket I bet. You would have had dozens and dozens of massive sites switch from flash to H.264/HTML5 to accomodate iOs devices if they werent a very important segment.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

...If Firefox went to webkit, this would push the webkit share above IE, which would then die out gradually.

oooo I got all tingly. Say it again...!
  • Reply 12 of 32
    If iOS is 2% of the worlds browser traffic, Then Android must be much higher because now its the number 1 mobile platform in the world. And all this in about two years, amazing.

Android rules the world.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Keep in mind this # includes v. populous countries in which iOS devices arent very prevalent, such as China, India, etc and other where they are virtually non-existance. If you focus on NA and Europe, that number would skyrocket I bet. You would have had dozens and dozens of massive sites switch from flash to H.264/HTML5 to accomodate iOs devices if they werent a very important segment.

I'll take that bet.

The measure was "percent of web traffic" which has no bearing on population centers.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Android has just beaten out symbian for the number 1 mobile OS in the world, what ever the browser share is im sure its more than 2%. LOL.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Keep in mind this # includes v. populous countries in which iOS devices arent very prevalent, such as China, India, etc and other where they are virtually non-existance. If you focus on NA and Europe, that number would skyrocket I bet. You would not have had dozens and dozens of massive sites switch from flash to H.264/HTML5 to accomodate iOs devices if they werent a very important segment.

I think you meant to include the word "not" in the sentence above.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Can AI put a ticker for these numbers, like the AAPL: 345.03, instead of a so-call article!

iPad xxx mil sold - AAPL: 345.03 - iOS: 2% Browser Share - tick, tick...etc...
  • Reply 17 of 32
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Considering that most of interet usage in poor countries is from mobile phones I would not be surprised to see that number go up as apple's devices make their way outside the us,eu,Asia areas.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Why is it the 2% barrier? is there something deliberately or artificially holding iOS devices back to that level?

How about the 2% mark - or the 2% level - or even a gradual climb up to 2% has suddenly shot above 2%.

At least with the sound "barrier" there were folks with technical reasons (some rather far fetched perhaps) why it would not be possible to travel faster than the speed of sound - which, although the actual speed varies based on atmospheric conditions, at least is a clearly demarcated point with different properties on each side of the "barrier" - at least for sound - and of course long since proven not a barrier in the strictest sense of the word.

Example after example of "barriers" exist - the overwhelming vast majority of which only lasted for what in the end was a brief period - and most of which were only "barriers" in the minds of those who allowed some artificial value such as a 4 minute mile decide their limitations - rather than going out and testing to find out what - if any - true limitations there are.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by some internet dude View Post

If iOS is 2% of the worlds browser traffic, Then Android must be much higher because now its the number 1 mobile platform in the world.

You'd be wrong though.

Here are the stats from another medical site of mine in the USA that gets around 3,000 unique visitors per day.

1.\tWindows 88.01%\t

2.\tMacintosh 8.24%\t

3.\tiPhone 1.34%\t

4.\tiPad 1.23%\t

5.\tAndroid 0.51%\t

6.\tLinux 0.19%\t

7.\t(not set) 0.15%\t

8.\tBlackBerry 0.15%\t

9.\tSymbianOS 0.11%\t

10.\tiPod 0.06%
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

It's actually only 100 million (5 billion devices X 0.02). The number of devices, their usage pattern, and the caching limits make it plausible as a measure of total traffic.

Tallest Skil was referring to "LeCorsaire's" post, who used the title bar to convey half or his or her message by stating

Quote:

I don't see why iOS won't reach 50% web browsing share some day

and quoting the entire article in the first post, which thankfully allowed me to read the article again.

Anyway, 1.75 billion is half of 3.5 billion.

Back to 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza.