I guess gentle correction wasn't enough.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Without consistent support for HTML5 video using a codec that every browser can play, video producers appeared forced back to supporting Adobe Flash for H.264 video distribution rather than using HTML5 at all, defeating a cornerstone feature of HTML5

sigh.....more misinformation from AI per the usual. First video producers are not deciding what codec to use for the web. I suspect the person writing this article must not be familiar with what a video producer actually does. Web developers however, do decide which media formats to implement, and they certainly aren't "forced" to use Flash. While ubiquity may in fact play a role in some cases, the primary reason to use Flash video is because the html5 <video> tag does not offer the same functionality that Flash does. Let me repeat that last line for you AI..

the html5 <video> tag does not offer the same functionality that Flash does.

Which means..... we can't use html5 video for certain things regardless of codec! and until that changes it will not replace Flash!

It's the same thing over and over again with this site. You just keep on wishing for a truth that isn't there. As if your blind denial that Flash offers something HTML5 doesn't will make it true.

This is not an argument against HTML5, or even for FLASH, it's an argument against the distribution of misinformation.

For those of you interested in educated information on the the topic check out these links:

http://apiblog.youtube.com/2010/06/f...html5-tag.html

http://www.longtailvideo.com/support...uite-there-yet

http://gizmodo.com/5461711/giz-expla...yline=true&s=i

These are just a few of the many articles you can find all essentially saying the same thing:

we can't use html5 video for certain things regardless of codec! and until that changes it will not replace Flash! Because the html5 <video> tag does not offer the same functionality that Flash does.

At the end of the day my problem with AI is simply that the writers don't know enough about web development to actually write about it, but they choose to keep writing about it anyway. I know that its all about getting hits for them but man, what happened to dignity.

And now a moment of silence in memory of good journalism based on research......

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Good for Microsoft. I'm not a fan by any means, but I have to work with Windows a lot and still use their Office software without much grumbling.

I guess you could say I have a certain amount of respect for them despite my blatant Apple bias.

I have no respect whatsoever for Google. (or Facebook...)

I don't like their products. I have zero tolerance for or interest in products that are eternally in a half-baked beta mode. I don't like the way they do business.

And I simply don't trust them at all.

Again, good for Microsoft to neutralize this. They have plenty of issues, but at least they're not Google.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Please people, bold and all caps doesn't communicate a point any better.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Please people, bold and all caps doesn't communicate a point any better.

There are hundreds of years of typographic examples to counter that argument. It is the very nature of bold, caps and italics to emphasize a statement. This is why in html <strong> makes things look bold and <em> which stands for "emphasis" makes them italics.

I would also argue that posts about using bold or caps is equally useless in contributing a point related to the article.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alkrantz View Post

There are hundreds of years of typographic examples to counter that argument. It is the very nature of bold, caps and italics to emphasize a statement. This is why in html <strong> makes things look bold and <em> which stands for "emphasis" makes them italics.

I would also argue that posts about using bold or caps is equally useless in contributing a point related to the article.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

OK, how about this: overusing them is worse than not using them at all, especially when it's only a couple steps away from looking like a ransom note.

Part of the point of moderation is to keep people from yelling at each other, typographically or otherwise. We're far from perfect on that, but seeing it overused just gets aggravating.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

OK, how about this: overusing them is worse than not using them at all, especially when it's only a couple steps away from looking like a ransom note.

Part of the point of moderation is to keep people from yelling at each other, typographically or otherwise. We're far from perfect on that, but seeing it overused just gets aggravating.

It is equally aggravating when a post has absolutely no relation to the topic at hand. Typographic debates are as asinine as grammar corrections, but in an effort to un-bunch your knickers I have reduced the use of caps in my post.

now, did you have anything to contribute to the topic of web video? or......