Should Apple Deny Rumors?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Or is this implicitly announcing products? If they denied a G5 rumor today....what would the impact on sales be until MWSF? What about iMac?

What do you think of their policy of not commenting on hardware that may or may not be forthcoming?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I remember once Apple flat out denied a rumor... don't remember whether it was true or not. What am I talking about? I don't remember the situation.

Normally they don't respond to rumors atall.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    They definitely should deny rumors, since they are more harmful than good. They're always wrong and lead to unjustified disappointment with Apple.

Apple denied the PowerBook rumor back in August. They said there would be no new PowerBook at Seybold (I believe). Which was a true statement. The revised the PowerBook a month after Seybold.

They should do this all the time, especially when it is something as hyped-up as the G5.

Not denying it will lead to massive disappointment.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    They denied the rumor from the Taiwanese OEM that said the were making 13.3" Widescreen LCDs for a new iBook.

This was only about 1 month after the release of the i(ce)book, so they didn't want the rumor to kill sales, since it was apparently not true.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I think if it's a rumor the size of the G5 rumor of the LCD or G4 iMacs then yes they should deny it. If it's just a small rumor that doesn't get around to many places then I think Apple should just leave it alone.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    They also denied the rumor that there would be new hardware at MacExpo Paris, of course that event was cancelled because of 9/11.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    The fact that they haven't denied anything yet, leads me to believe there will be G5 Power Macs at MWSF.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    The problem with denying every bad rumor is that when Apple is silent about a rumor, everyone will know it's true.

I think it's better to take a more strategic approach, like was already described, where rumors are only denied if they could seriously damage sales. Like the Icebook rumor.

Last I read, Powermac sales are horrible this quarter....nobody is buying them. iMac sales are even worse. So if there's anytime to deny a false powermac rumor, this is the time. And since Apple hasn't denied it yet, well, it makes things all that more interesting!

combined with the multiple-source nature of the rumors, and all the mondo specials on Powermacs + displays at Apple store....there's something about to happen.

It's going to be huge. I'm going out on a limb when I say this, but I think that the Powermacs introduced at MWSF are going to be bigger than the G4 powermacs, bigger than the G3 powermacs, bigger than anything in Apple's recent history except for the iMac.

These new powermacs will finally make the price almost worth it. They will be so freakin' fast that everybody will want one, even though they're overpriced nobody will care because they will chew up pentium 4s at anything you can throw at them.

My guess is that the new G5 powermacs will not only sport the most bad-ass hardware from Apple in over a decade, but they will be the first macs to ship with OS X as the default OS. The combination of the G5 with OS X is going to reshape the look of the PC industry like a nuclear blast going off in Silicon Valley. It's that huge, folks. Be thankful that we are alive at a time like this in Apple's history...it's like seeing the civil war, the end of prohibition, the defeat of the Nazis, the assasination of JFK, watergate, oval office blowjobs, and now the G5 powermac w/ OS X. Hold onto your butts!
  • Reply 8 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Be thankful that we are alive at a time like this in Apple's history...it's like seeing the civil war, the end of prohibition, the defeat of the Nazis, the assasination of JFK, watergate, oval office blowjobs, and now the G5 powermac w/ OS X. Hold onto your butts!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Normally, I don't make comments like these. But I almost shot Diet Mountain Dew out of my nose when I read this!! Very well put Dawg!!

Also, back on topic. I agree with ya. Just take a step back and look at the whole picture. Discounts with the display?? iMac deals out the wazzoo. So many "sources", too little time. Take it all in, because I do think that the face of computing is going to change big time come MWSF. I honestly think that the Mac is no longer going to be called a niché computer. It is going to be called THE computer. Watch out world, here comes the Mac!!

(By the way, the acid pills are on the back table, take one as you leave, thank you.. )
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Often Times when Rebates(significant rebates of plus 200 dollars) are announced new hardware follows, Isn't there a Rebate or special on the iMac and the g4 right now?

well they are not super significant, and could be discarded as just holiday sales.

How evil is that?

releasing a stomping womp of a computer merely 3 weeks after Christmas the most affluent holiday of the year!

If no g5 then I do hope that the 333-400 mhz system bus and ddr-ram is true because that alone will GREATLY enhance the usabilty and speed for most applications(even those not alitivec enhanced)
  • Reply 10 of 30
    luckylucky Posts: 50member
    They also denied the existence of the PBG4 way back when, although that wasnt them but an external PR company they use. It seems that they only respond in cases of extreme rampentness, but there isn't enough data to be able to draw any useful conclusions.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>I remember once Apple flat out denied a rumor... don't remember whether it was true or not. What am I talking about? I don't remember the situation.

Normally they don't respond to rumors atall.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Didn't they deny a PDA?
  • Reply 12 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by yablaka:

<strong>Didn't they deny a PDA?</strong><hr></blockquote>

With the Newton fans around and whatnot people generally get pretty rabid about PDA rumors. I think it's probably a good move on Apple's part to squash those rumors if they aren't true, because people seem to get upset when the even think about an Apple PDA.

Oh, and it's yabloko with an "O"s, not yablaka with "A"s.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    I think this is a situation where Apple could safely remain mum while at the same time knowing that the rumours are wildly off target.

If Apple feels satisfied that the upgrades and/or new hardware announcements will please most users (even if they happen to be another series of bumped G3s and G4s) then they can get away without quelling the rumour mongers. Sure people will be disappointed if no G5s arrive, but breaking the gigahertz barrier in combination with an exciting new iMac would be enough to keep most people happy.

Denial of rumours seems to only occur when Apple have nothing to offer (or the changes are so minor and incremental) in the face of wildly hyped expectations.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>The problem with denying every bad rumor is that when Apple is silent about a rumor, everyone will know it's true.

I think it's better to take a more strategic approach, like was already described, where rumors are only denied if they could seriously damage sales. Like the Icebook rumor.

Last I read, Powermac sales are horrible this quarter....nobody is buying them. iMac sales are even worse. So if there's anytime to deny a false powermac rumor, this is the time. And since Apple hasn't denied it yet, well, it makes things all that more interesting!

combined with the multiple-source nature of the rumors, and all the mondo specials on Powermacs + displays at Apple store....there's something about to happen.

It's going to be huge. I'm going out on a limb when I say this, but I think that the Powermacs introduced at MWSF are going to be bigger than the G4 powermacs, bigger than the G3 powermacs, bigger than anything in Apple's recent history except for the iMac.

These new powermacs will finally make the price almost worth it. They will be so freakin' fast that everybody will want one, even though they're overpriced nobody will care because they will chew up pentium 4s at anything you can throw at them.

My guess is that the new G5 powermacs will not only sport the most bad-ass hardware from Apple in over a decade, but they will be the first macs to ship with OS X as the default OS. The combination of the G5 with OS X is going to reshape the look of the PC industry like a nuclear blast going off in Silicon Valley. It's that huge, folks. Be thankful that we are alive at a time like this in Apple's history...it's like seeing the civil war, the end of prohibition, the defeat of the Nazis, the assasination of JFK, watergate, oval office blowjobs, and now the G5 powermac w/ OS X. Hold onto your butts!</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL, great post JD.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    I thought Apple's denial about the powerbook came relatively close to the event? Still plenty of time for a denail??
  • Reply 16 of 30
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    denied a rumor, is a way to confirm them. If you want to keep the secret, you don't have to denied or approved a rumor. Of course you can denied everything : this is the best way to have the reputation of a pathologic liar.

Just an exception about rumors, you have to denied it if they are dangerous or infamous : example Apple is going to stop the production of computers : this is quite dangerous rumor for a company and in this case she is obliged to make a strong answer.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: powerdoc ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 30
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I sometimes wonder if Apple has a team to handle denying rumors on forums. Or even to keep us from getting carried away. Remember when everyone at Bad Flamingo was getting carried away on the iPod. It was going everything but the Orgasmatron from Woody Allen's "Sleeper". Suddenly "The One", a supposed insider, shows up to bring us all back to earth. It would make sense. But then, if such a system was in place, wouldn't it also be tempting to spread disinformation when the speculation was getting too close to the mark.

Junkyard Dawg may be right about the world being transformed in January. I'm predicting a bundled Orgasmatron device that, while portable when needed, also slips into the side of your Mac and works through a "orgasm" key on your keyboard.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    [quote]Junkyard Dawg may be right about the world being transformed in January. I'm predicting a bundled Orgasmatron device that, while portable when needed, also slips into the side of your Mac and works through a "orgasm" key on your keyboard. <hr></blockquote> Why wouldn't you just tape that key down then?
  • Reply 19 of 30
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Yea, but Apple didn't deny LCD iMacs at MWNY this past July and they didn't come and everyone got upset. So not denying could mean there's nothing to deny.

I hope we get a G5!!
  • Reply 20 of 30
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>Yea, but Apple didn't deny LCD iMacs at MWNY this past July and they didn't come and everyone got upset. So not denying could mean there's nothing to deny.

I hope we get a G5!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

they denied new imacs or powerbooks for Seybold and Paris in September.

If the G5 really isn't coming out and if the new iMac is not coming out with an LCD they should at least deny those two things by justing saying, we have no plans to introduce a G5 or iMac LCD in the coming months.