Getting German Shepherd puppie--what size crate?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So i'm getting a new puppy somewhere around September 13, 2002.

It's a GSD from a reputable breeder.

I am soliciting opines on what size crate to get.

There's a substantial price difference between the Xtra-large and the large crates.

Any advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    How are you planning on using the crate? If you are crating your dog every night, then go for the larger one. Your dog's bones will thank you.

If you're just crating while on holidays in a hotel, etc... might be fine with just the large model.

Measure your dog too, of course.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I have the largest Vari-Kennels for my German Shepherds. They need it. But then again, I bought a small crate when my one was a puppy, and then a medium sized crate as he was growing up. He definitely needs the big crate now. I can't even fit it in the family Windstar without disassembling it. The other German was full grown when we got her.

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>I have the largest Vari-Kennels for my German Shepherds. They need it. But then again, I bought a small crate when my one was a puppy, and then a medium sized crate as he was growing up. He definitely needs the big crate now. I can't even fit it in the family Windstar without disassembling it. The other German was full grown when we got her.

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've never had one, but my parents do, instead of buying a new crate for each stage of growth, they just got the big one, (sorry don't know it it was L or XL), and blocked off part of it while she was still a puppy. Apparently if the have a big crate, and they are little, they will designate a portion of it as a bathroom? Go figure. Not really an answer to the original query, but this would save you money over the previous plan.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Yeah Stroszek, even a puppy dog doesn't what to sit in his own waste. Another reason is that they just like the cozyness better, AFAIK...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    yep, that's what we did with our bernese mountain dog 6 months ago. buy the large cage and bock part off until they get bigger
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Rad... I was leaning towards Xtra-large anyway, but wanted to hear from others.

I have an email into my breader as well, getting their reccomendation (and the exact size of the parents--i'm pretty sure they're both over 110 pounds).

As far as how I plan to use it:

A *lot*.

All night (till she can be trusted in the house)--but next to the bed.

All day--but i'll be home for lunch each day (again, till she's trained and trustable--then i get to start bringing her to work with me (!)).

Looks like the bigger the better--with the "sectionizer".

Thanks, all.

3 weeks! Woo hoo!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    110 pounds is pretty big for a German Shepherd. I consider my male Shepherd pretty big and he's a bit overweight at just under 100 pounds. Unlike his companion, he doesn't stop eating when he's full. He'll lick any portion of food in his bowl clean, probably in an effort to please us. I don't know other brands, but if your Shepherd grows up to be 110 pounds, he'll probably not fit comfortably in anything but the largest "Giant" Vari Kennel, which is 48"x32"x35" with the 4-point locking system (instead of the 2 points.)

YMMV with other brands.

Regarding keeping your puppy next to your bed when you crate him at night, definitely do that until he gets comfortable sleeping alone. If you try to crate your puppy at night by itself, he will cry all night and probably leave a present for you in the morning.

EDIT: Oh, and kiss your free time good-bye if you don't have anyone to share pet responsibilities with. German Shepherds are high maintenance and *will* work you pretty hard.

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 11
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Pure bred German Sheppards shouldn't be anywhere near 110 lbs. More like 80-90 depending on what sex and what they're fed / how often they run. 110 lbs is not a healthy weight for that size dog...

To answer the original question - extra large. Bigger dogs need the space so they can move around without hunching over, etc. We had an 85 lb Husky / Malamute mix a few years back and he definitely needed it.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs:

<strong>Pure bred German Sheppards shouldn't be anywhere near 110 lbs. More like 80-90 depending on what sex and what they're fed / how often they run. 110 lbs is not a healthy weight for that size dog...</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's not completely out of the ordinary, especially if you've got a stockier built long-haired German Shepherd. I'd say 90 pounds is the ideal weight for my male. He's around 97 right now, but not obviously overweight.
  • Reply 10 of 11

<strong>110 pounds is pretty big for a German Shepherd. I consider my male Shepherd pretty big and he's a bit overweight at just under 100 pounds.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe when i visited the breeder and played with the parent dogs they just *seemed* bigger than they are.

If there's interest, i'll post how big they really are when the breeder gets back to me.

I do know that Gala--the bitch--is "too big to show," and that the breeder was kinda hesitent to breed her, becuase they don't think they'll get any show-size femail outta her.

But I'm not intersted in showing, and I love big dogs.

(my second favourite is the Newfie)

<strong>Oh, and kiss your free time good-bye if you don't have anyone to share pet responsibilities with. German Shepherds are high maintenance and *will* work you pretty hard.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can hardly wait.

I grew up with a Shepherd, and my brother has one.

I have been planning on getting a Shepherd for 7 years now--and was just waiting till I could get a house.

So 1 week after I closed on my house--in June--I went and picked out the parents.

There's just nothing quite as cool as a well-trained dog.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Eugene: didn't realize the long hairs are stockier / heavier than the standard. [Maybe] the "long haired" moniker is just another name for the Belgian Tervuren (which I believe are heavier set than Sheppards but look very similar)? That's the type of dog I hope to get one day (when I'm wealthy enough to afford that thing known as a house with a back yard). Otherwise, it's a Keeshound for me (or "mini-Tervuren" as I like to think of them).

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ]</p>