Sony hints it could pull its music from iTunes in ongoing war with Apple

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
After Apple rejected a Sony e-reader application for the iPad from its App Store for not complying with the rules, Sony has fired back and suggested it is hoping to be able to exit Apple's iTunes Music Store.

Michal Ephraim, chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment, spoke with Australia's The Age about the impending launch of its Music Unlimited service in that country. Music Unlimited debuted in late 2010, and Sony hopes the streaming subscription product will take on Apple's iTunes by offering a different approach to digital music sales.

But in the future, Ephraim hopes that iTunes isn't even part of the equation. He questioned whether Sony would need to partner with Apple and sell music through iTunes if its new service gains enough traction.

"If we do [get mass take-up], then does Sony Music need to provide content to iTunes?" he said. "Currently we do. We have to provide it to iTunes as that's the format right now."

He continued: "Publishers are being held ransom by Apple and they are looking for other delivery systems, and we are waiting to see what the next three to five years will hold."

Tensions have grown between Sony and Apple since earlier this month, Apple rejected an e-bookstore application from Sony from its digital App Store for the iPad. A story in The New York Times suggested the rejection showed that Apple is "further tightening control of its App Store."

But Apple responded to that report and insisted that it has not changed its developer terms or guidelines. "We are now requiring that if an app offers customers the ability to purchase books outside of the app, that same option is available to customers within the app with in-app purchase."

The head of Sony's games unit in Australia also revealed this week that it is "unlikely" that the company will make its games available for Apple's iOS devices, including the iPhone and iPad. Last month, Sony revealed that it will bring a PlayStation Suite game store to Google's Android mobile operating system, allowing its titles to be played on a variety of portable devices in addition to its own gaming hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 156
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Good luck with that. "Hostage"? You've sold a billion more tracks via iTunes than you would have otherwise. Pulling your songs from iTunes would be a moronic business move. I guess it is decisions like this that have been the cause of Sony's fall from grace.
  • Reply 2 of 156
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Publishers are being held ransom by Apple and they are looking for other delivery systems, and we are waiting to see what the next three to five years will hold."

translation: we want publishers to be held ransom by Sony instead of Apple in 3 to 5 years.
  • Reply 3 of 156
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,281member
    I doubt there's any real connection between this statement and the e-book thing. I think it goes without saying that Sony and all other labels would pull their music from iTunes IF there were a competing distribution channel that could equal iTunes in sales while providing more favorable terms to the labels. But that's equivalent to me saying that if somebody came out with a better product than Apple at a lower price I'd buy it. Is it really worth anybody's time to say anything so obvious?
  • Reply 4 of 156
    Let 'em pull it. I'll purchase it else where (amazon, walmart) and then add it to iTunes. I'll deal with the few extra mouse clicks. Sony just doesn't get it - they haven't for years.
  • Reply 5 of 156
    It only takes one to start the flood. 10 years ago iTunes was it, now things are changing a bit. One leaves, some others may follow. Curious to see how this turns out.
  • Reply 6 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjsutton View Post

Let 'em pull it. I'll purchase it else where (amazon, walmart) and then add it to iTunes. I'll deal with the few extra mouse clicks. Sony just doesn't get it - they haven't for years.

That is Sony's exact point, there are other methods. You buying it somewhere else takes that $ out of Apples hands. Sony still gets paid. So I think they do get it.
  • Reply 7 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

translation: we want publishers to be held ransom by Sony instead of Apple in 3 to 5 years.

More than just that, though. The labels think that every $ in profit that Apple has made on iPods and iPhones is actually their profit that Apple has "stolen" from them. In their self-centered view of the universe, all the value-added of the iPod is their music. They don't have the least clue as to why the iPod was more successful than all the other mp3 players out there.
  • Reply 8 of 156
    With few exceptions, if you're in music and you're not on iTunes, you're losing sales. Sony is blowing smoke.
  • Reply 9 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

That is Sony's exact point, there are other methods. You buying it somewhere else takes that $ out of Apples hands. Sony still gets paid. So I think they do get it.

Well... that's exactly what Sony would *like* to see happen. But it's because they don't think it will happen, at least not today, that they aren't pulling out of iTunes today.

The scenario they probably fear (and definitely should fear) is that if they pull out of iTunes people will return to pirating music rather than buying it from Amazon or someplace else. That's probably what I would do (just like I currently use bit torrent to get all the video that the video content owners make so difficult/expensive to acquire legally).
  • Reply 10 of 156
    I have loathed Sony--and not supported them in any fashion--ever since their little rootkit/copy protection scheme back in 2005. Remember that little debacle? Scroom. Let the entire company go the way of the Walkman. They deserve it!
  • Reply 11 of 156
    Quote:

The thing is that it probably would cost Sony more to use those "other methods". Delivery through Apple is probably going to continue to be their biggest bang for the buck for some time.
  • Reply 12 of 156
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    That's not a problem, they pull they're stuff from iTunes and more people will pirate it. They'll do great from that won't they? Sony lost the plot years ago.
  • Reply 13 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Well... that's exactly what Sony would *like* to see happen. But it's because they don't think it will happen, at least not today, that they aren't pulling out of iTunes today.

The scenario they probably fear (and definitely should fear) is that if they pull out of iTunes people will return to pirating music rather than buying it from Amazon or someplace else. That's probably what I would do (just like I currently use bit torrent to get all the video that the video content owners make so difficult/expensive to acquire legally).

This is a very valid point. iTunes really allows people to legally acquire content. Considering the iPhone and iPod touch are such sellers and iTunes so integrated with them, getting music somewhere else, albeit pretty easy, not as easy as it is through iTunes and that will turn off people. People like a one stop shop. I just think people will stop buying Sony's stuff.
  • Reply 14 of 156
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    how about this clever approach

follow the rules resubmit and talk to SJ

apple could buy sony shut down its losing areas or buy the movies and song division

something big is going to happen with all those billions SJ is stockpiling
  • Reply 15 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

With few exceptions, if you're in music and you're not on iTunes, you're losing sales. Sony is blowing smoke.

Agreed. Prior to iTunes, the alternative online distribution methods were the likes of Napster and Kazaa.

This reminds of when ?NBC? pulled it's content from iTunes until they came crawling back shortly after when they realized how stupid a move that was.

That said, each time a major content provider has removed or threatened to remove themselves from the iTunes store, Apple has followed by being more flexible like the new rates for songs, and the timing/release/pricing of video content.

Oh and BTW, as a consumer, I like the idea of a one-stop shop for music (iTunes). And knowing Sony, they will probably wrap some ridiculous DRM where the music can only be played back on a computer using Sony software or a Sony handset or PSP or something. Let's not all forget their stupid CD copy protection fiasco. Sony used to be a company driven by cutting edge engineering. Now it just sounds like the bean counters are trying to squeeze every dollar. Sad sad sad.
  • Reply 16 of 156
    Isn't Apple just a distributor? If I made a product I think that I would want it on every type of distribution channel in order to drive sales. Why would Sony think otherwise? Yes, they may make more money off their own distribution but with all Apple products being tied to Itunes, I would think it would be better business to keep that ongoing.

Any ideas?
  • Reply 17 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Well dude thats not the way to go. In my case I like buying used CDs though Ebay and sites like Borders Market. That way you legally own the music but at a fraction of the cost, sometimes 20cents a track (including shipping)! Not to mention you can rip the songs at the bit rate of your choice, specially in high quality formats sometimes not available for online purchase
  • Reply 18 of 156
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

This is a very valid point. iTunes really allows people to legally acquire content. Considering the iPhone and iPod touch are such sellers and iTunes so integrated with them, getting music somewhere else, albeit pretty easy, not as easy as it is through iTunes and that will turn off people. People like a one stop shop. I just think people will stop buying Sony's stuff.

The app rejection and the revenues Sony would lose seem to make this sound like it's an excuse or red herring since the the things are so far apart in reality from a business stand point. The real reason is more likely their own rival to iTunes not wanting the iTunes competition. This is a wreck in the making for Sony imo. It is sobering to think that yesterdays weird dip in AAPL was a 10 billion dollar movement which was a mere blip for Apple but about one third of Sony's entire market cap! I still wonder if Sony might not make a nice department for Apple Inc. The music rights alone would be sweet and think of all those nice HD cameras and professional equipment.
  • Reply 18 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

Well dude thats not the way to go. In my case I like buying used CDs though Ebay and sites like Borders Market. That way you legally own the music but at a fraction of the cost, sometimes 20cents a track (including shipping)! Not to mention you can rip the songs at the bit rate of your choice, specially in high quality formats sometimes not available for online purchase

You're correct. Higher quality outputs at up to 4 times the file size, per track.
  • Reply 20 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

That's not a problem, they pull they're stuff from iTunes and more people will pirate it. They'll do great from that won't they? Sony lost the plot years ago.

"i can't buy it on itunes therefore i will steal it"? apple is making a killing off of morons...