Nokia uses Apple's Macs to announce Microsoft partnership

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
When Nokia wanted to convince the world that it would bring consumers "stellar hardware and innovative software and great services" in its partnership with Microsoft, it turned to Apple's Mac-only iMovie to get word out.

A video posted by the company's NokiaConversations YouTube account presents its new chief executive Steven Elop, formerly the head of Microsoft's Office-centric Business Division, speaking about how Nokia's new partnership with Microsoft will "create opportunities beyond anything that currently exists."

He may have been referencing the "burning platform" he described Nokia as currently standing upon; Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 hasn't been setting anything on fire.

Elop was joined by Steve Ballmer, chief executive of Microsoft, who said his partnership with with Nokia would deliver "the brands that mobile consumers want, like Bing, Office, and of course, Xbox Live."

Verizon has already brought Bing to some of its customers forcibly, erasing Google as the default option and generating a response that indicates that, perhaps, consumers don't really want the brand that much after all. Microsoft also failed to bring Office to mobile phones as promised in its previous partnership with Nokia in 2009, when it was Elop himself representing Microsoft in the photos of executives of the two companies shaking hands.

Nokia talks Microsoft but uses iMovie

But that's not the only thing familiar about Nokia's video. Adrian Boioglu, a Romanian blogger, noticed that Nokia's soundtrack was the same used by Apple in its presentation of the new unibody MacBook Pros in 2009. But they're not just borrowing the same catchy tune.

The song is actually Pendulum, an Apple Loop installed as part of iMovie, available for royalty free use by anyone who uses a Mac to create iMovies, at least for non-commercial use.

The license agreement for Apple's included "loop content' reads, "You may use the Apple and third party audio loop content (?Audio Content?), contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original soundtracks for your video and audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own soundtracks that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual audio loops may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound effects or music beds."

Oops! This isn't the first time Microsoft has been embarrassed by the use of Macs within its efforts to sell Windows. In 2008, the company's "I'm a PC" campaign graphics were found to have actually been made on a Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When Nokia wanted to convince the world that it would bring consumers "stellar hardware and innovative software and great services" in its partnership with Microsoft, it turned to Apple's Mac-only iMovie to get word out, apparently violating the non-commercial use clause in Apple's licensing agreement.

While I have not used iMovie for anything commercial it seems like it would be against Apple's own interest to artificially limit the use of a paid for copy (assuming of course) of iMovie.

Yes, I know that they want to encourage people to use more expensive products like FinalCut but they should let each product stand on its own merits and features not dictate how we use something we paid for.
  • Reply 2 of 69
    Pretty sure this video adheres to the licensing agreement. They are not separating the loops out from the video and distributing them standalone. Might want to re-think this article. (For the record I am not a Nokia sympathizer).
  • Reply 3 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

While I have not used iMovie for anything commercial it seems like it would be against Apple's own interest to artificially limit the use of a paid for copy (assuming of course) of iMovie.

Yes, I know that they want to encourage people to use more expensive products like FinalCut but they should let each product stand on its own merits and features not dictate how we use something we paid for.

An EULA is an EULA. Buy FinalCut.
  • Reply 4 of 69
    I'm not sure you're reading that right... what the language you quote prohibits is standalone redistribution of the loop (or as part of a sound sample, etc.). It expressly states that the user may use the loop in creation of his/her video project and broadcast the project.

(Your language

The license agreement for Apple's included "loop content' reads, "You may use the Apple and third party audio loop content (?Audio Content?), contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original soundtracks for your video and audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own soundtracks that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual audio loops may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound effects or music beds."
  • Reply 5 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darkman View Post

I'm not sure you're reading that right... what the language you quote prohibits is standalone redistribution of the loop (or as part of a sound sample, etc.). It expressly states that the user may use the loop in creation of his/her video project and broadcast the project.

(Your language

The license agreement for Apple's included "loop content' reads, "You may use the Apple and third party audio loop content (”Audio Content”), contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original soundtracks for your video and audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own soundtracks that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual audio loops may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound effects or music beds."

You're probably right, actually. Sounds like the EULA is saying "use the audio all you want, but don't try and sell or distribute it as a separate track."
  • Reply 6 of 69
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    So they used an Apple product to announce their idiocy to the world. Who cares!
  • Reply 7 of 69
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    I hope we see more of these professional quality iMove videos emanating from this duo of world-class technology corporations.

Only thing: somebody tell Elop to either look AT the camera like he's talking to us, or focus on a different target and simply read off the teleprompter. When he looks back and forth at the camera and then way he ends up looking a bit insane like Michelle Bachman delivering the "other" Republican counter to Obama's State of the Union address.

At least Elop didn't launch into a tirade of WTF: WTF? WTF! Like the third Republican rebuttal.
  • Reply 8 of 69
    Apple's got bigger and better things to do than going after this crap. In fact everyone at Apple will probably laugh their asses off if they find out about this.
  • Reply 9 of 69
    They're talking about separating the tracks and doing something with them commercially (like selling). It doesn't say ANYTHING about being allowed to only create "PERSONAL videos".

Another worthless non-article.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

You're probably right, actually. Sounds like the EULA is saying "use the audio all you want, but don't try and sell or distribute it as a separate track."

Exactly... They are doing nothing wrong. This is really a pathetic attempt at finding controversy where it doesn't exist...
  • Reply 11 of 69
    Apple should take pride in this and ignore it.

Silly.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    Of course you would need to weasel a full article out of this. Stupid move by Nokia, but even more stupid of you make an article of about it. You don't even understand that it doesn't violate ANY licensing agreement. And how do you know that they just didn't rip that Apple track and make the movie on a PC? That's right. You don't. Because you're a liar. You're just creating controversy as usual.

Maybe instead of trying to make up lies, posting about these concept phones by Nokia?

• Reply 13 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blur35mm View Post

Pretty sure this video adheres to the licensing agreement. They are not separating the loops out from the video and distributing them standalone. Might want to re-think this article. (For the record I am not a Nokia sympathizer).

Yep, pretty embarrassing article.
  • Reply 14 of 69
    Please. Isn't it more accurate to say that Nokia's and Microsoft's ad company used Macs to produce the advertising campaign materials? And why not use Macs? It's not like they are going to use Windoze Vista Home Movie Maker to cut videos...
  • Reply 15 of 69
    AppleInsider should retract the entire article. The iMovie license language for the apple loops is identical to that for Final Cut Studio. As has been pointed out - this video in no way violates the licensing agreement, and in fact is doing exactly what its supposed to do.

Seriously, whoever wrote this has the reading skills of a ten year old.

Hell I dunno, the same track may be included in Final Cut Studio and they never used iMovie at all. Probably the case.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    Quote:

An EULA is an EULA. Buy FinalCut.

I have. And Premier. And I typically use which is best for the job. That being said I do not see how Apple taking away the rights of its paid users is a good thing.

Apple is in a unique place in the industry. It has not pissed off its users like Microsoft has. It should stay that way.
  • Reply 17 of 69
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darkman View Post

(Your language

You're clearly right. I'm not sure how you could read that agreement and conclude that a company could not use it in a video like this. The video is not for sale.
  • Reply 18 of 69
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    This is a pitiful article for AI, what's next? You're going to call out "hypocrites!"
  • Reply 19 of 69
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Exactly. You can?t take Apple?s loop and sell it by itself. You can make stuff out of it all you want! Non-story.
  • Reply 20 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Elop was joined by Steve Ballmer, chief executive of Microsoft, who said his partnership with with Nokia would deliver "the brands that mobile consumers want, like Bing, Office, and of course, Xbox Live."

What consumers WANT Bing. As a search engine it sucks ass.

So, Microsoft is out to destroy Nokia from the inside (although they were doing a good job themselves).