Apple's iPad "running far ahead" in enterprise adoption

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple has taken a significant lead in the corporate world with the success of its iPad tablet, said one analyst, while predicting the company will sell 33.7 million iPads this year.

Barclays analyst analyst Ben Reitzes said Friday that when it comes to the corporate world, the iPad is "running far ahead of its tablet competition and its their game to lose," Barrons reports. Reitzes' report stems from a conference call with a research Forrester Research analyst.

According to Reitzes, Apple hasn't established an enterprise salesforce, but the iPad maker is "listening to enterprise customers." The report noted that Forrester's research indicates that corporate users are "buying devices and bringing them into work" in increasing numbers.

Apple is the "winner in the consumerization of IT," said Reitzes. Forrester sees room for tablets to co-exist with smartphones and laptops, but does see some cannibalization from devices like the iPad in that it can "delay laptop replacements."

Reitzes sees Apple ending the calendar year with sales of 33.7 million iPads, a more than 70 percent share of the 47 million tablets he predicts will sell in 2011. He has an Overweight rating on Apple stock, with a $450 price target.

The analysts' estimates are roughly in line with those of his colleagues. For example, Caris & Co. analyst Robert Cihra sees Apple selling 36 million iPads this year.

The growth of the iPad could continue to accelerate as corporate adoption of the device picks up. A recent report from enterprise mobile services vendor Good Technology revealed a 64 percent increase in the iPad's share of all device activations among the more than 2,000 companies its tracks.

Apple announced during its earnings call for the first quarter of fiscal 2011 that over 80 percent of the Fortune 100 are already deploying or piloting the iPad. Sales of the iPad last quarter reached 7.3 million, bringing in $4.6 billion in revenue for the Cupertino, Calif., company.

In October of last year, Apple CEO Steve Jobs said the iPad was "being grabbed out of our hands," despite the fact that the company had yet to push the iPad "real hard in business."

"We've got a tiger by the tail here, and this is a new model of computing which we've already got tens of millions of people trained on with the iPhone, and that lends itself to lots of different aspects of life, both personal and business," he said.

The iPad is expected to see another sales boost this spring when Apple will presumably release the second-generation of its successful tablet device. The iPad 2 is expected to be faster, lighter and sport a FaceTime-ready camera. Rumors surfaced this week that the iPad maker could also be planning a second update for the fall of this year, possibly adding a retina display or pro features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 107
    It'll be interesting to see if Apple sells 33 million iPads that the stock will go all the way up to $450. Apple will probably have to double iPhone sales numbers to assure that figure. Apple is going to really have to impress Wall Street to keep shares moving up. I hope Apple can continue to sell its notebook line and that will help quite a bit. Apple can't afford to miss any numbers as high as expectations are. The iPad seems to have a price advantage over both the Xoom and TouchPad, so maybe Apple won't have as much competition as some analysts say it will.
  • Reply 2 of 107
    It's a shame the practicality isn't there as far as openness is concerned. I use my ipad to read the news and make the odd note here and there, but anything further than remote access apps, it's too locked down to be overly useful. Once competing tablets are released, the ecosystem as a whole will push forward and hopefully the ipad will get more useful.

The whole enterprise adoption thing is really because there is nothing else in the market at the moment. With practically only one choice in tablets available, its obvious the ipad would be on top. Once honeycomb hits it's game on.
  • Reply 3 of 107
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jivemaster View Post

It's a shame the practicality isn't there as far as openness is concerned. I use my ipad to read the news and make the odd note here and there, but anything further than remote access apps, it's too locked down to be overly useful. Once competing tablets are released, the ecosystem as a whole will push forward and hopefully the ipad will get more useful.

The whole enterprise adoption thing is really because there is nothing else in the market at the moment. With practically only one choice in tablets available, its obvious the ipad would be on top. Once honeycomb hits it's game on.

Give an example of what you want the iPad to be able to do then
  • Reply 4 of 107
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Give an example of what you want the iPad to be able to do then

Yeah, I'm not understanding what point he is trying to make, either. It seems the iPad can do a lot of stuff as it is. I don't see how being an OSS system would help, and I used Linux for years, so it's not like I'm anti-F/OSS.

Regardless of what one might see on the various message boards, a lot of people actually do appreciate the fact that someone (in this case, Apple) is making sure that apps are safe, and that they actually do work as advertised, and that they don't just take tons of info from you without asking.
  • Reply 5 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...]

Barclays analyst analyst Ben Reitzes said Friday that when it comes to the corporate world, the iPad is "running far ahead of its tablet competition and its their game to lose," Barrons reports. Reitzes' report stems from a conference call with a research Forrester Research analyst.

[...]

This guy's twice an analyst... He Can't Be Wrong!
  • Reply 6 of 107
    Quote:

It's a shame the practicality isn't there as far as openness is concerned

In your only other post on this forum, you claim:

Quote:

Readers on this forum seem completely oblivious to the fantastic innovations google has made on the mobile front. So much so that apple cry babies resort to name calling and cheap insults.

Looks like we have a new Phandroid troll.
  • Reply 7 of 107
    (Edit: Nevermind)
  • Reply 8 of 107
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Ironically, Enterprise buyers may prefer no built in cameras.
  • Reply 9 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

This guy's twice an analyst... He Can't Be Wrong!

Unless you apple (edit -I mean apply - freudian slip there ) the rule two negatives make a positive
  • Reply 10 of 107
    How do enterprises manage iPads? Install applications, OS updates, etc...? Does OSX Server have built in management capabilities?
  • Reply 11 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Yeah, I'm not understanding what point he is trying to make, either. It seems the iPad can do a lot of stuff as it is. I don't see how being an OSS system would help, and I used Linux for years, so it's not like I'm anti-F/OSS.

Regardless of what one might see on the various message boards, a lot of people actually do appreciate the fact that someone (in this case, Apple) is making sure that apps are safe, and that they actually do work as advertised, and that they don't just take tons of info from you without asking.

Every conversation I have these days with an anti Apple person they spew the exact same one liners as if they are experts .. "Oh Apple is a close system" "Steve Jobs is a control freak" yada yada yada ... I have yet to hear one articulate deeper on these points and explain. It's funny actually, the ones I know were die hard Windows users and now have adopted Android as their next best hope, most the sort that built their own PC boxes out of parts and love to tinker. I truly suspect it was never about the software for them more about the love of creating the FrankenPCs.
  • Reply 12 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

How do enterprises manage iPads? Install applications, OS updates, etc...? Does OSX Server have built in management capabilities?

That is a good question, SJ did say Apple hadn't really pushed (or intended) enterprise adoption. Apple needs to have a version of Apple Remote Desktop (Apple Remote Padtop) that can push installations and update across a private network as it can with Macs. It may exist but I have not heard of such a thing yet.
  • Reply 13 of 107
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

OS X server is not going to manage iPhone/iPads. We are not getting much help from apple for enterprise deployments. Having to create our own methods and procedures.

You can manage many settings such as disabling the camera as was previously mentioned by using a config file created with the iPhone config utility or a MDM if you spend the money for that 3rd party solution. How do you get config files onto each device if you have tens of thousands? Email it and trust the user to install it? That's not a enterprise solution. MDMs for iDevices are also not exactly even near mature still after several years. Enterprises may be deploying iPads, but they are not managing them. Some might say "So". Well companies have policy's and liabilities to worry about that consumers do not have any concern with.

Then you have enterprise signed apps vs app store apps and how to get those onto each device without being at the users mercy to do it since app store apps will not have a provisioning file and apple will not allow the developer to take the app store app and enterprise sign it for you.

We've managed to get through most of our issues, but I can't post our solutions that were created.

If there is some type of users group (Not a sales pitch group) in the north Dallas area I would probably be interested in meeting those folks and sharing ideas, concepts and discussing the challenges and their possible solutions.
  • Reply 14 of 107
    Quote:

There are many Android tablets on the market! So why aren't they successful in enterprise adoption?

http://www.jkkmobile.com/2010/09/top...d-tablets.html
  • Reply 15 of 107
    Quote:

Exactly. Had to jailbreak my ipad to squeeze out some much needed added functionality. Great device but not yet suited as a fully functioning enterprise solution. Honeycomb looks great so far.. Touchpad looks promising but have reservations w/ HP...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPlaid View Post

In your only other post on this forum, you claim:

Looks like we have a new Phandroid troll.

Your right! He's a TROLL!! He made a great point, a well stated opposing view. He's such a phandroid troll. OMG
  • Reply 16 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

There are many Android tablets on the market! So why aren't they successful in enterprise adoption?

http://www.jkkmobile.com/2010/09/top...d-tablets.html

You're not paying attention. Forget the galaxy tab and all that other bs. The real competitors are just beginning to arrive ie: Xoom, Touchpad, etc.
  • Reply 17 of 107
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

OS X server is not going to manage iPhone/iPads. We are not getting much help from apple for enterprise deployments. Having to create our own methods and procedures. How do you get config files onto each device if you have tens of thousands? Email it and trust the user to install it? That's not a enterprise solution.

Can't you configure the ipads with the over the air profile delivery before you deploy them to the users?

http://developer.apple.com/library/i...roduction.html

I'm planning on setting a fairly low expiration date on the profile (something like a month) so that I'll have a regular profile update schedule without interacting with the user.
  • Reply 18 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

It'll be interesting to see if Apple sells 33 million iPads that the stock will go all the way up to $450. Apple will probably have to double iPhone sales numbers to assure that figure. Apple is going to really have to impress Wall Street to keep shares moving up. I hope Apple can continue to sell its notebook line and that will help quite a bit. Apple can't afford to miss any numbers as high as expectations are. The iPad seems to have a price advantage over both the Xoom and TouchPad, so maybe Apple won't have as much competition as some analysts say it will.

The estimate for Apple's sales this year is now between $95 and $105 billion. If the shares just track the sales and margins, it will go up a lot more. Estimates are up to $550 a share.
  • Reply 19 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

You're not paying attention. Forget the galaxy tab and all that other bs. The real competitors are just beginning to arrive ie: Xoom, Touchpad, etc.

Oh I see. You mean after one year there still isn't a good alternative to the iPad? Even though Google, Motarola and Samsung had a fully working platform as an example of how to overcome some of the challenges one faces developing a successful tablet platform (note: not not a device but a platform). I'm not going to insinuate that I know how the future will unfold. However, Google gave Apple a year head start and therefore will need all the brains, innovation and funds to not end up being an irrelevant platform to developers and thus to end users.
  • Reply 20 of 107
    The iPads limitations for corporate/enterprise use are fairly large.

To improve this situation the iPad would have to have...

A central accessible file system.

Simple common printing capabilities.

The ability to stand alone as a computing device without the need to sync with a PC.

Microsoft developing apps for it`s corporate software packages available through the app store.

USB compatibility.

There are work arounds for everything I`ve mentioned above but Apple should develop some dedicated solutions to these limitations if they want to take off on the corporate environment as quickly as they have in the public area.

By the way, I`m not a Fandroid.

More of a Mac cultist.