Restoring hard drive from Time Machine

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I need to do a complete hard drive restore from Time Machine. I looked at google but the information that I saw is for when the main system drive fails.

The situation I have is my main system drive is running perfectly but a 2nd drive, a data drive, failed. Both the system drive and data drive were backed up by Time Machine.

I already contacted Seagate to do an RMA exchange so I want to be prepared when my new drive arrives. How can I use Time Machine to restore the data to the new drive once it arrives?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    a complete reversion to a previous state is all i can think of. that's what makes TC so limiting.

using the Backup utility included with MobileMe allows for data and drive discriminated backups and restores, though.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I need to do a complete hard drive restore from Time Machine. I looked at google but the information that I saw is for when the main system drive fails.

The situation I have is my main system drive is running perfectly but a 2nd drive, a data drive, failed. Both the system drive and data drive were backed up by Time Machine.

I already contacted Seagate to do an RMA exchange so I want to be prepared when my new drive arrives. How can I use Time Machine to restore the data to the new drive once it arrives?

Thank you for your help.

1/2. Have the Time Machine HD connected to Machine

1. Boot from the Install DVD.

2. Select Restore System from Backup from the Utility Menu.

3. You will be given a choice of TM to use and destination drive

4. Do it.