Sales Tax

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Hi,

This is a rather general question I would need help with; and I cannot find any info on apple.com so I hope somone out there can say something..

I am going to NYC this spring and I plan to get the iPad & a Macbook Pro from the store on 5th Ave but.. When shopping in a store in the US (and this case NYC); how much tax should be applied and is it any different from the applicable tax when having it shipped to a hotel?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    As a native New Yorker, I can tell you that the State sales tax should be 8%. Then since you're buying it in N.Y.C. you'll pay city tax. I haven't been in the city in years, so I don't know what the city tax is. I'm a little confused when you say you'll buy it at a store on 5th Ave. and then later mention about having it shipped to a hotel. Do you mean delivered instead? I don't know where you live, but why don't you buy it on line from Apple and have it shipped to your home?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twl845 View Post

As a native New Yorker, I can tell you that the State sales tax should be 8%. Then since you're buying it in N.Y.C. you'll pay city tax. I haven't been in the city in years, so I don't know what the city tax is. I'm a little confused when you say you'll buy it at a store on 5th Ave. and then later mention about having it shipped to a hotel. Do you mean delivered instead? I don't know where you live, but why don't you buy it on line from Apple and have it shipped to your home?

Thank you for replying fast, awesome..

I am between buying it in the store and buying it online the same day having it shipped to the hotel I am staying at but after reading your answer, I am going there to the store to "live the experience" of getting stuff at 2AM.. Call me a nerd, but I am a proud one.. Oh, I forgot to tell you, I live in Spain/Barcelona and if I bought it in NYC, even with added taxes, I´d save like 200? just on the iPad alone..
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SephoraBaby View Post

Thank you for replying fast, awesome..

I am between buying it in the store and buying it online the same day having it shipped to the hotel I am staying at but after reading your answer, I am going there to the store to "live the experience" of getting stuff at 2AM.. Call me a nerd, but I am a proud one.. Oh, I forgot to tell you, I live in Spain/Barcelona and if I bought it in NYC, even with added taxes, I´d save like 200? just on the iPad alone..

Good idea. At 2AM the store shouldn't be crowded. Just be aware as you leave the store and make your way home to the hotel. If you can bring someone with you it might deter a thief. Not that you're in imminent danger, but a person on the street at 2AM carrying a iPad and a Macbook in an Apple bag is a target.