Apple to expand reach with new smaller iPhone, enhanced MobileMe

Comments

• Reply 81 of 158
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjayer View Post

I have a case on my iPhone4 that doesn't block any of the bezel whatsoever. Having said that, I don't think apple will keep the iPhone 4's design for the next round, especially if they go this route. I think they'll do an entirely different design. They aren't going to release another phone with the antenna on the outside. Not unless they can fix the issue, even if it's not a big one, it's there.

As far as cost goes there is plenty of corners they can cut. No gyro? No retina display? Previous generation silicon?

I wonder if it is going anywhere in the way the rumor suggests. The last time there were considerable rumors of a mini iPhone, the previous generation device was simply offered at a lower price, which seemed to do the job of getting price-conscious buyers in. A 3GS 8GB is still available for $49.99, even less for refurbished ones. That's less than the minimum monthly service cost, I pay $60/mo for the minimum tier data and voice package. This means that users still have access to the iOS ecosystem without serious restrictions or developer rework to support the less expensive model.

The way I see it, it's more plausible that there is consideration of developing a feature phone with a significant UI rework (like someone suggested in the current nano). That's the only way to get it so that US carriers will offer it at no cost other than the contract.
  • Reply 82 of 158
    here my take , i strongly believe Apple will not let go for the current screen size . Their entire App eco system is built around it .

I think the iPhone nano will be more like a iPod touch with slightly larger battery , 3G/2G & AGPS . Same Retina like LCD , twin cameras etc ..

Apple has been able to sell the current model iPod Touch profitably at USD 229 , Also dont think the iPhone nano will be USD 200 , my guess is more like USD 300 , which is still a pretty good price without subsidy.

Apple generally does not compromise on a winning formula ... ie. the high res display
  • Reply 83 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karteekmehta View Post

here my take , i strongly believe Apple will not let go for the current screen size . Their entire App eco system is built around it .

I think the iPhone nano will be more like a iPod touch with slightly larger battery , 3G/2G & AGPS . Same Retina like LCD , twin cameras etc ..

Apple has been able to sell the current model iPod Touch profitably at USD 229 , Also dont think the iPhone nano will be USD 200 , my guess is more like USD 300 , which is still a pretty good price without subsidy.

Apple generally does not compromise on a winning formula ... ie. the high res display

Not enough product differentiation and not enough margin after adding all the components needed to make it a phone.

I don't expect to see a lot of third-party software available for the new phone - probably mostly games. This would really be Apple's vision of a feature phone, not some scaled-down iPhone.
  • Reply 84 of 158
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I say the home button isn't going anywhere, and they won't make a smaller iPhone. Now, they MIGHT make another phone altogether with Apple's design philosophy in place, but I don't think it'll be an iPhone.

They'll call it iPhone 'something'. Apple are like that.
  • Reply 85 of 158
    Rumor after rumor, no substantiation, no verification, only 'an undisclosed source' or 'person familiar with the..........'.

Give me a break. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that the next Iphone will have a removable battery and also be solar powered. How do I know? ah come on I cant reveal my source.
  • Reply 86 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Rumor after rumor, no substantiation, no verification, only 'an undisclosed source' or 'person familiar with the..........'.

Give me a break. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that the next Iphone will have a removable battery and also be solar powered. How do I know? ah come on I cant reveal my source.

Yes, it's only a rumor but it is a rumor that makes some sense.

Everyone seems to think that Apple only gets to where it is by introducing the "next great thing". It does this, but as the company grows, it also takes the opportunity to extend its influence in the markets in which it already competes. Nothing in this rumor suggested that Apple will be chasing after low-margin business, just that they might be willing to forego some margin to achieve volume sales in new and different markets. Heck, the article does not even mention margins, just opportunity.
  • Reply 87 of 158
    A good article that is right on point:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20031692-71.html
  • Reply 88 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Lets see... you have been here about a year, now. You DO know this is a rumor site, right?

Besides, this is a good one. True or not, there are enough possibilities here that some posters here have come up with some fascinating and intelligent speculation: 3rd party apps or no? Siri voice control or no? Data plan or no? Free with contract or no? How will MM tie in? Full size screen or no?

About all we do know is this: if they do it, they will have found a way to produce and sell a feature phone that is fundamentally different than what is available in the market now and the margins will not be razor thin. Oh, and it will work as a phone an an iPod.

That is a lot of possibilities to ponder.

Threads like this are exactly why I check AI every day.

Now, it might get tiresome if we see 50 more posts like it before the (supposed) Spring announcement without much new information. Still, the Verizon iPhone rumor must have had at least twice that many stories with "undisclosed sources" but they circled the truth well enough--by the end there was no surprise despite the vehement protest from some that they would believe nothing until Apple announced it.
  • Reply 89 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

A good article that is right on point:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20031692-71.html

To sum it up:

Quote:

But there is one unifying factor for Apple: Can the company make a product [iPhone Nano] that is still recognizably Apple? Can it make a product that, though inexpensive, still bears the design signature of the world's most confident and envied brand?*

If it can, the iPhone Nano will come into being. If it can't, it will keep working on it until it can.

Of course, there exists far more competition in smartphones than in MP3 players. Google is trying to ensure that its Android OS proliferates like Starbucks. The Nokia and Microsoft mutual makeover also gives two very large companies a potentially better offering to the masses.

So if Apple can produce a new iPhone that acts as yet another entry point into its brand and is still something of which the company can be proud, it will strengthen Apple's resistance against its competitors.

*I would add: Can they make Apple margins selling it?
  • Reply 90 of 158
    Here's why:

1. The iPhone 4 is too small, and now they are making a smaller phone, instead of making a bigger phone.

2. I'm an iPhone 4 user, and I would prefer an iPhone with a larger screen, similar to the Droid X. Go bigger, not smaller please. This is a hand held computer, and I want my online experience to be as close to the experience of an iPad, without the phone being too big. iPad would be too big.

3. I've played with the Samsung Galaxy. It's the perfect size. It's still rather portable at its size, because it will fit in a back pocket, or jacket pocket. The iPad won't.

4. Navigation: Although the mapping features on the iPhone 4 are good, and the Google Maps sufficient, I've had the pleasure of playing with my girlfriends Droid phone, and the turn by turn directions with voice is far superior. To get those kind of navigational features on the iPhone, you have to pay for some $39.99 to $59.99 app. Sorry!!!! I prefer Google's free navigational offering with all of that stuff build in.

5. Android phones are just about as good. Sure the iPhone is from Apple, and we all love Apple for what it has done for consumer electronics, but the Android phones are a very very close second place. So close in fact, that there really isn't much of a difference other than the "coolness" factor. And...as a matter of fact, I'm not sure the actual phone part of a droid phone might be better, because the iPhone seems to suck as a phone. Great computer. Sucks as a phone.

I could go on and on about Apple and the iPhone. The iPhone is awesome. It's a great pocket computer, but that's about it. It's a terrible phone. I've actually heard they improved the antenna on the Verizon Iphone 4 version, so Verizon won't take the crappy phone hit that ATT took.

If Apple makes an iPhone with a bigger screen, I might stick with it, but I want my phone to be a bit more computer-like...like the Droid X.

OH...and apps. So freakin what, that the Apple app store has hundreds of thousands of apps. I regularly only use about 10 apps that don't come native with a new iPhone. The rest are novelties. They are apps I pay .99 cents for that I get bored with in about a week or two.
  • Reply 91 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

Here's why:

1. The iPhone 4 is too small, and now they are making a less expensive phone, instead of making a bigger phone.

Fixed that for you.

Apple might consider making their top-of-the-line phone a bit bigger (or not) but this rumor is about expanding into new market territory with a great number of potential sales - more sales, I bet, than those who would prefer a bigger iPhone,
  • Reply 92 of 158
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Give me a small sized "feature phone" (iPod music/movies, etc, plus camera, contacts, calendar) with the hot spot for data sharing. Then let me choose the size screen I want by tethering either an iPod touch, iPad, or laptop. Then I can take just the phone with me when that's all I want, or the appropriate additional device for whatever tasks I want to work on.

I know there will be people whining "but then you have to carry two devices". But one of those devices would be much smaller than the current iPhone, and to me the advantage of having the option of only taking one very small device (if that's all you need) plus the flexibility to choose the screen size of your internet device, all with one data contract, far outweighs the concern of two devices.

It is so Freudian I know, however, I read your first sentence as...

Quote:

Give me a small sized "feature phone" (iPod music/movies, etc, plus camera, contacts, calendar) with the hot spa for data sharing.

Oooo, Ahhh...

I'm allowed tethering and the idea would suit me quite well.
  • Reply 93 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

1. The iPhone 4 is too small, and now they are making a smaller phone, instead of making a bigger phone.

2. I'm an iPhone 4 user, and I would prefer an iPhone with a larger screen, similar to the Droid X. Go bigger, not smaller please. This is a hand held computer, and I want my online experience to be as close to the experience of an iPad, without the phone being too big. iPad would be too big.

1 & 2 are really the same point. I know I do NOT want a bigger phone. I suppose if Apple could expand the screen real estate without increasing the size of the phone I would like it, but I do not want a bigger phone. And if the bigger screen means shorter battery life, then I have no interest. Period.

Quote:

3. I've played with the Samsung Galaxy. It's the perfect size. It's still rather portable at its size, because it will fit in a back pocket, or jacket pocket. The iPad won't.

If all you want in a tablet is for it to fit in your pocket, by all means get the Galaxy. It remains to be seen what the market thinks of 7 inch tablets. I imagine Apple will pop one out if it looks like people want one (finger sharpening comments be dammed ).

Quote:

4. Navigation: Although the mapping features on the iPhone 4 are good, and the Google Maps sufficient, I've had the pleasure of playing with my girlfriends Droid phone, and the turn by turn directions with voice is far superior. To get those kind of navigational features on the iPhone, you have to pay for some $39.99 to $59.99 app. Sorry!!!! I prefer Google's free navigational offering with all of that stuff build in.

I'm not sure why this belongs in a list detailing how out of touch Apple is. I'm sure Apple would love for Google to provide them with terrific navigation solutions. Not going to happen. There have been rumors that Apple is working on their own navigation solution, but it is not their strong suit at this point.

Quote:

5. Android phones are just about as good. Sure the iPhone is from Apple, and we all love Apple for what it has done for consumer electronics, but the Android phones are a very very close second place. So close in fact, that there really isn't much of a difference other than the "coolness" factor. And...as a matter of fact, I'm not sure the actual phone part of a droid phone might be better, because the iPhone seems to suck as a phone. Great computer. Sucks as a phone.

Are you saying that the iPhone is a terrible phone beyond the limitations of AT&T inside the US? I call BS. First, I have had one for a few years and I have very few phone problems. It has been the best PHONE I have ever owned. Second, if you have a problem with AT&T it is a little late to be using that as the basis of an anti-iPhone list. You did hear about the whole Verizon thing, right?

Again, if the Droid X and the Galaxy are your version of the bees knees, by all means, get them. There is no doubt that these products have features and forms that Apple does not offer. I personally am not interested in a bigger phone or a smaller iPad.

I'm still not sure why you think your list of personal preferences is an indication of Apple being out of touch. I would agree that it proves that some people may desire products that Apple doesn't make, though...
  • Reply 94 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Well some people just want a feature phone and don't need maps and things or they have an Ipad so really just want a phone/music player.

Exactly what I/we are looking for our outside ad-reps.

We know for sure that we're going with the iPad 2, but would prefer to go with the cheaper wi-Fi version rather the 3G. Considering that they are rolling out LTE across the country (Germany) throughout the year.

Naturally, we need to have a mobile-internet connection of some kind, so a "smart phone", or at least one that can tether (again... inexpensive) is a must... or we were even considering a mobile 3g modem from Huawei.

An iPhone Nano would be EXACTLY what we're looking for, with tethering, and simple telephony/contact stuff. Everything else is done on the iPad anyway.

The whole Apple "Mobile Solution" set-up looks like it could come in well under $1000.-/Rep.

Not bad IMHO.
  • Reply 95 of 158
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

...Not bad IMHO.

Humble perhaps but not lacking wisdom!
  • Reply 96 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

...'m still not sure why you think your list of personal preferences is an indication of Apple being out of touch. I would agree that it proves that some people may desire products that Apple doesn't make, though...

This quote should appear in a "reply-snippet" list for the entire AI-Forum!
  • Reply 97 of 158
    Quote:

And if it's acceptable to shrink down the iPhone UI and it's still usable, there should be no more arguments about making a smaller sized iPad, either.

Well the screen would have to be ~45% of the size of the 3.5" iPhone screen to be comparable to the difference between a 7" tablet and 9.8" iPad.

That would be pretty small, so yes, you would need to file down your fingers to use the screen.
  • Reply 98 of 158
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Meh. This article is all wrong. There will be no smaller iPhone and not even an iPhone 5 this year.

There will be an update to the 4 (the 4gs or similar) but the iPhone 5 will be 2012. I don't even see apple releasing a CDMA / gsm combined handset this year either.
  • Reply 99 of 158
    I think a lot of these posts are right. My money's on a near bezel-less iphone. Home button is now a little tab on the bottom. A4 processor, low power consumption display at same size and res as 3g/s, lighter weight graphics card that's as good or better as the 3gs'.

This keeps devs writing apps at the old res, so old phones have a longer life and a perceived higher value than flash in the pan Android phones. Probably cheaper parts too.
  • Reply 100 of 158
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    What I would like to say about what AppleInsider said about what the WSJ said about what another guy said about the iPhone mini, is that I believe it.