Handheld possibilities?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on Apple handheld possibilities for the future. The iPod has built a nice foundation in terms of technology but we have seen nothing in the way of a true PDA or even rumors about it for a long time now. Is Apple considering bypassing this market and attacking the Net Appliance realm instead? It just seems that this market doesn't have a real winner anymore and with the PocketPC platform taking off against Palm and Palm aqcuiring BeOS and soon releasing a very new Palm OS, Apple has a nice opportunity to compete.

Plus, I want my Newton back :-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    [quote]Originally posted by imanta:

<strong>I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on Apple handheld possibilities for the future. The iPod has built a nice foundation in terms of technology but we have seen nothing in the way of a true PDA or even rumors about it for a long time now. Is Apple considering bypassing this market and attacking the Net Appliance realm instead? It just seems that this market doesn't have a real winner anymore and with the PocketPC platform taking off against Palm and Palm aqcuiring BeOS and soon releasing a very new Palm OS, Apple has a nice opportunity to compete.

Plus, I want my Newton back :-)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Having read a lot about Newton, used PocketPC and owned a Visor, my thoughts are:

- PocketPC looks best

- PalmOS has most support but lacks innovation

- Newton OS is still as good 8 years on

So, if Apple modernised the hardware (read: small, thin, white, firewire) they'd have a new PDA which already had a huge market.

Much is made of Jobs alleged anti-PDA stance, but in truth only Jobs knows the truth on that. Remember, reporters never write nice stories, so "Jobs thinks PDAs are great" sells less copies.

A PDA is part of a digital hub, so when the time is right, I reckon we'll get one. There will be a huge hype void after the G5 after all.