Apple CEO Steve Jobs photographed at dinner with President Obama

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs sat directly beside President Barack Obama at a special dinner featuring some of the biggest names in Silicon Valley on this week.

In a photo posted on the official Flickr account of The White House, Jobs can be seen sitting to the left of Obama as the table of tech luminaries engages in a toast. Others at the dinner included Google Chief Executive (and soon-to-be executive chairman) Eric Schmidt, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerburg, Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz.

Another picture shows Zuckerberg talking with the president, with Bartz and Genentech Chairman and Apple Board of Directors member Art Levinson in the background. In that picture, a figure standing behind Obama is obscured, but could also be Jobs.

However, none of the pictures uploaded offer a clear look at the Apple co-founder, who reports this week claimed has been spotted looking extremely thin. It was claimed that Jobs was seen at California's Stanford Cancer Center, prompting speculation that he has relapsed and requires additional treatment in his ongoing fight with cancer.

Jobs and other Silicon Valley executives met with Obama on Thursday at the home of John Doerr of venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers. The meeting was aimed at promoting technological innovation in an effort to boost the U.S. economy and increase the number of jobs available.

Also this week, Gizmodo hired a plane to view the recent demolition of the Jackling House mansion owned by Jobs. A flyover of the property shows the building razed to rubble with construction equipment onsite.

After years of holdups and problems, Jobs finally got the OK to demolish the property, a process that began earlier this week. The 17,250-square-foot building was a decade-long controversy between Jobs and preservationists.

Local historians sought to protect the Spanish colonial revival mansion, built in the 1920s by copper baron Daniel Jackling. They argued that the home was historically significant.

The property has been vacant since 2000, as Jobs has been involved in several back-and-forth filings with the city of Woodside and preservation group Uphold Our Heritage. The CEO reportedly plans to build a smaller, more private home in place of the mansion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 176
    Love the black turtle neck.

And why do most articles have to feature something about his property?
  • Reply 2 of 176
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    If all the pictures taken are with Steve hidden it is not going to help speculation sad to say.
  • Reply 3 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

AI has a habit of mixing topics in one article, many not even related as at least one could argue this is. I have suggested they be split but I was told it adds to the thread's variety. Personally I think it adds nothing but a lack of focus.
  • Reply 4 of 176
    Quote:

I was hoping SJ kept up his usual style during his visit. One of the things I like most about Jobs is his insistence on wearing normal, comfy clothing. Maybe some day the rest of the pulp eaters will follow suit.
  • Reply 5 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I was hoping SJ kept up his usual style during his visit. One of the things I like most about Jobs is his insistence on wearing normal, comfy clothing. Maybe some day the rest of the pulp eaters will follow suit.

You mean drop the suit?
  • Reply 6 of 176
    Interesting that Schmidt ended up crowded in down at the end of the table. Anyone recognize the people on either side of Larry Ellison?
  • Reply 7 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs sat directly beside President Barack Obama at a special dinner featuring some of the biggest names in Silicon Valley on this week....

Interesting that Obama chose to sit between Jobs and Zuckerburg (and seating arrangements at these sort of things are rarely random or unplanned.)

And Schmidtty looks so fat and lonely at the end of the table.
  • Reply 8 of 176
    This world needs more like Steve Jobs, not fewer.
  • Reply 9 of 176
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In that picture, a figure standing behind Obama is obscured, but could also be Jobs.

Let the conspiracy theories begin . . .
  • Reply 10 of 176
    1. some appear to be drinking wine, others water. Jobs appears to have water.

2. Jobs is not raising his glass very high -- much lower than everyone else

3. Jobs' arms look about the same as they have the last few times he's been seen

4. the fact that Jobs is there, can sit up, and in other pictures stand, certainly makes him appear better-off than someone with just six weeks to live

5. I see no clear evidence of hair loss relative to public events last year

overall, my take is that Jobs is not in great shape, but he's not about to drop dead, either. I'd measure his life expectancy in years, not weeks or months. Unfortunately, though, I also probably would not measure his life expectancy in decades...
  • Reply 11 of 176
    Gizmodo hired a plane? Stalker much?

On a related note, the Gawkerverse needs to fire their creative/web leads. Their new layouts are terrible. I read that readership is down by half. They are the crap end of content on the Internet, so if they went under, it would be no big loss.
  • Reply 12 of 176
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Great shot of the house. Looks better now than it has in a LONG time
  • Reply 13 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Interesting that Schmidt ended up crowded in down at the end of the table. Anyone recognize the people on either side of Larry Ellison?

I thought the guy on the right was Schmidt... the guy on Ellison's left is Reed Hastings from Netflix.

[I'm sure the guy at the end of the table is Art Levinson from Genentech and Schmidt is to the right of Ellison]

[Steve Westly, of the Westly Group, is sitting to Job's left and Dick Costolo from Twitter is at the far right end]
  • Reply 14 of 176
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You guys are obsessive.
  • Reply 15 of 176
    Quote:

LOL...I'm surprised the Daniel Jackling house doesn't have it's own Facebook page.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Zuckerberg told the president, "YO O-Dog, I'm CEO bitch! I gotz the facebook y'all. Sniff. Will you friend me?"
  • Reply 16 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Gizmodo hired a plane? Stalker much?

On a related note, the Gawkerverse needs to fire their creative/web leads. Their new layouts are terrible. I read that readership is down by half. They are the crap end of content on the Internet, so if they went under, it would be no big loss.

I agree, the new layout is terrible. I used to check Gizmodo daily but now I just can't do it. The worst part is if they post a video and the words GIZMODO overlap the video area.
  • Reply 17 of 176
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

I agree, the new layout is terrible. I used to check Gizmodo daily but now I just can't do it. The worst part is if they post a video and the words GIZMODO overlap the video area.

Here ya go, Gizmodo without the new layout:

http://uk.gizmodo.com
  • Reply 18 of 176
    What house do you mean?

Big fan of John Doerr's house are you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Great shot of the house. Looks better now than it has in a LONG time

• Reply 19 of 176
    There is no way that those Gizmodo photos are of Steve Jobs. Do you ever believe Steve Jobs would be seen wearing a button-up cardigan sweater. Impossible.
  • Reply 20 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I thought the guy on the right was Schmidt... the guy on Ellison's left is Reed Hastings from Netflix.

[I'm sure the guy at the end of the table is Art Levinson from Genentech and Schmidt is to the right of Ellison]

[Steve Westly, of the Westly Group, is sitting to Job's left and Dick Costolo from Twitter is at the far right end]

Actually, the guy to the right of Ellison is John Doerr, and the guy on the far left end is Schmidt. Doerr is one of the sharpest people I've ever met.