Conan repeats on comedy central - Yeah

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Comedy Central now shows the previous night's episode of Conan O'Brian . 7-8pm est

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I've neve been a Conan watcher, but over the summer, I've caught him a few times and found myself laughing out loud on more than one occasion.

He did a thing last week where he showed photos from a party he had with Max and the show's announcer. Of course, it was a planned sketch, but they don't let on to that.

The photos start out innocently enough. Then by halfway through the pile, some of the funniest scenarios and things are going on.

During the monologue (or while interviewing a guest), I love some of the faces Conan makes to express "disbelief" or feign shock.

And the comments he always makes about the show sucking on any sort of self-deprecating jabs always make me laugh.

He's much funnier than Letterman and Leno, honestly. I've seen Letterman a few times recently and he's just a crotchety old ass. Sits there, makes this HUGE production out of dialing a goddamn telephone ("do we have a little music for this, Paul?"), takes FOREVER to tell a story/anecdote, seems to wallow in unfunny, inside-joke comments that perhaps only he and perhaps the band or stage crew would EVER find funny, etc.

Someone might want to notify him that he's really not funny, and that the clap-happy audience is only being polite and enjoying a free show. Or trying to warm themselves up from the theater's notoriously cold air-conditioning.

I wish he'd retire. Would anyone seriously miss him? I mean, really.

And don't get me started on that bald-headed shithead of a sidekick. His schtick stopped being funny in about 1987.

And Leno is just a silver-haired, whale-jawed Bob Saget. Sugar-coated, ultra-mainstream and COMPLETELY unfunny. He makes Jeff Foxworthy look cutting edge.

Honest to God, I can't believe these two numbnuts are the American "kinds of late night".

A joke that misfires or a silly face made by Conan is 50 times funnier than ANYTHING I've seen Leno or Letterman do in ages.

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 10
    late night? jon stewart.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    I don't usually watch much TV, but since discovering a mysterious live cable jack in my new apartment and injuring my foot, i've been sucking it in.

Letterman is indeed totally unfunny. Leno is sometimes funny though utterly mainstream. And Conan O'Brien is sometimes funny as well.. actually, most of the time he isn't particularly funny, but his self deprecating comments are rather amusing.

-robo
  • Reply 4 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Letterman isn't worth my time - the guy SUCKS.

Leno? I watch it for 15 minutes on Mondays to get the Headlines - they're hilarious, but that's about it.

I have always liked Conan though, I laugh my ass off at the guy. Tears were streaming down my face the first year that dog went to the Westminster dog show...

Yeah, Conan kills.

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 10
    jon stewart is good. i wish dennis leary had a talk show, need to check his new show one of these days
  • Reply 6 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yes, Jon Stewart is also very funny. His show cracks me up, especially the opening 5-10 minutes (opening remarks, "Headlines", etc.).

If this world made any sense, Conan and Jon would be the true late-night "heavy hitters"...and Leno and Letterman would be long gone to retirement-ville.

• Reply 7 of 10
    [quote]The photos start out innocently enough. Then by halfway through the pile, some of the funniest scenarios and things are going on.<hr></blockquote>

Was that the one with Max Weinberg and his butt lube? Genius!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    the daily show is one of the greatest shows ever. it was great with craig kilborne [i dont care much for his cbs show], and is fantastic with j. stewart too. i love it when jonny boy makes fun of the audience. and tds is definitely worth watching, for no oher reason than, every 2 weeks or so Lewis Black does a skit. oh gohd, now that i think about it, the fake-reporting is great too. the only part that queers me is when they put `real` people on (like actual news reporters) as guests. celebrity interviews are funnier when teevee doesn't try to learn me nothing. the only show that is better than tds is the simpsons. but that should be obvious to anyone who isn't a `bundle of twigs`.

i caught conan today on comcen, and it just doesn't grab me. its kind of funny, but it cant really copmare. and it really bothers me that they pushed around teh daily show post-day-reruns for conan's post-day-reruns. i may have to rearrange my schedule now. [i smite thee, comedy central people in charge of programming]

[denis leary's] contest searchlight is really grate too. i nearly pissed myself watching that last episode. [very surprising when u find out about it tho, if u dont already know that is.]

[ 09-08-2002: Message edited by: thuh Freak ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 10
    apparently it's not on anymore

wot hoppined?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

apparently it's not on anymore

wot hoppined?

It's on CNBC now.