Moved: Please help - I'm pretty sure I'm being ripped off

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here's what happened. About a month ago, I made a deal with JP in New York to buy a computer from him, a dual G4/500 which I've referred to here as "on its way" for a while now. I also bought a monitor from Tom in Washington, a clear Apple ADC 17" CRT. The monitor arrived today so I know that Tom isn't ripping me off. But as for JP, I don't know.

JP and I agreed on a price and then JP told me that he was buying a computer from Tom at the same time he was selling me his old one. So I was told to send my payment directly to Tom, instead of to JP who would just send it to Tom anyway. I did so, and a while later JP told me that he would sent the computer once he got back from his summer retreat (that was on a Friday, he said he'd be coming back on Sunday). The next day, JP told me that he was going to be at the retreat longer than expected, so he'd have his friend Justin mail it for him. Justin told me he'd given it to a secretary to send out. A week later, I told Justin that I hadn't gotten it yet and Justin said he'd check it out. Then he told me that when he went into his secretary's apartment to check with her and see what was going on, he saw the computer set up on her desk. He claimed she had taken it for herself instead of sending it. So he told me he'd send it himself, this morning.

It's been two days since Justin last contacted me. Before that, it was a week when I was anxiously waiting for it, thinking it would arrive, and eventually telling Justin that it hadn't arrived and he should check it out. Meanwhile, JP has apparently disappeared off the face of the earth. His email address once gave me an auto-reply saying it would stop working at the end of September (it was a Mac.com address), but only once (even though I sent three or four messages to it since then).

I have a number of theories for what has actually happened. It's especially confusing because Tom was honest, and he was dealing with JP, who appears to be not honest. I think that Justin is a flake who can't do anything so he keeps making up excuses for his inaction. Perhaps Justin and JP are the same person, but that doesn't seem likely because JP referred to Justin as a friend of his from the beginning. I don't think they're con artists because if so, they would have taken my money and ran, but they didn't run, and they didn't even really take my money (I sent it to Tom on JP's behalf). They may have been honest to Tom but not to me. Maybe JP is just unaware of the situation right now and doesn't realize how bad Justin is screwing it up.

I've sent three or four messages just today, which haven't been responded to. I set a deadline - the computer must be at my doorstep by Friday, or I must have a functional tracking number by Wednesday. I've already filed for mail fraud. Anything else I can do? Suggestions? Ideas on what's going on?

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>