Apple's MacBook Pro ship times slip to 3-5 days ahead of refresh

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
On the heels of of an imminent update to Apple's MacBook Pro lineup, Apple has bumped ship times for all US orders of its line of professional notebooks to three to five business days.

On Sunday, reports emerged that Apple had issued strict warnings to dealers not to open sealed pallet shipments that could arrive as early as Monday.

Further evidence that the secretive shipments could contain a significant update to Apple's MacBook Pros came late Sunday when the Mac maker began delaying shipping times for online U.S. orders of the notebooks from the usual 24 hour window to an estimate of three to five business days. Apple usually reserves this kind of across-the-board shipping delay for imminent new product releases.

Placeholder SKUs for new Apple-branded computers discovered Sunday in the Best Buy inventory system appeared to further corroborate the pending upgrade. Five models were listed on the electronics reseller's Laptop Configuration tool ranging in price from $1,199 to $2,499.

Last week, AppleInsider exclusively reported that sources indicated a major product launch from Apple could come as early as next week, even as inventory of existing MacBook Pros has dwindled in recent weeks.

AppleInsider has also been told that overhauled MacBook Pros are already in production and are expected to begin shipping in early March. Separate reports have independently suggested a March 1 launch date for the new notebooks.

Apple's upgraded professional notebooks are expected to make the jump to Intel's Sandy Bridge architecture and could also include subtle changes to the chassis design. According to one recent report, Apple may even roll out Intel's new high-speed optical connector technology, dubbed Light Peak, with the new MacBook Pros.

For more on the expected launch of a new MacBook Pro lineup, see AppleInsider's MacBook Pro information archive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Hmmm, no press event announcement, so likely no major changes? I wonder if the ipad update won't have a press event also? Perhaps the next press event won't be until the WWDC in June? I miss 'Steve Jobs theatre'.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Hmmm, no press event announcement, so likely no major changes? I wonder if the ipad update won't have a press event also? Perhaps the next press event won't be until the WWDC in June? I miss 'Steve Jobs theatre'.

Well, they did several MBP updates without having a special announcements. They only had events for switching to aluminum unibody, then the 17" update with built-in battery, then the SD card slot + 13". We don't see special announcements on processor upgrades and what not (eg. switching from Core 2 Duo to Core i). Since this update is probably just getting an upgrade to Sandy bridge, I don't expect a special event.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    where are all the rumours? apple are loading warehouses with new product and there aren't 1001 articles on what it all means? is everyone on holiday or something!
  • Reply 4 of 28
    I believe a press conference would be required for any ground-breaking technology integration. This would include Lightpeak or Liquidmetal.

I don't believe a conference would be necessary for a cosmetic redesign, even in the vain of the Macbook Air, because the new body design was already released in a press conference last year.

Therefore, IMO, we'll be getting:

Redesigned chassis

Dropped ODD,

Sandy Bridge (obviously)

Better graphics

Longer battery life

I think blade flash storage in the professional line is a long shot at this point, but SSD options will be expanded. And unless Apple does some sort of last minute online-only press conference, I'm don't THINK we'll see Lightpeak or Liquidmetal.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    I'm betting the new Dedicated GPU will be....AMD Radeon HD 6750M. Hoping that the power savings offered by Sandy Bridge will allow a few more watts for the GPU.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Are we sure that because Apple has increased the shipping days that it's them swapping out processors from existing MBP's?

Would it not make more sense to sell off the machines rather than to upgrade?

I would believe the hypothesis more if people were speculating a new OS being released and they don't want to ship machines with 10.6.3 when a major upgrade 10.7 is out.

I just got a brand new MBP two weeks ago and it had 10.6.3 on it. I would be pissed I didn't have my 10.7 disc if it was already released.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikeonTV View Post

Are we sure that because Apple has increased the shipping days that it's them swapping out processors from existing MBP's?

I don't think hey are swapping out processors. Apple doesn't do that. They HAVE spent some time trying to draw down inventories of the existing MBPs so they won't have too many to sell at a discount after the update.

Why then would they stop shipments now? Returns. They don't want people getting their new "old" machines 5 days before the new "new" ones come out. What a mess in returns! Instead, they stop shipments now and then announce the new MBPs shipping in a few weeks. Less overlap, less returns, less headache--more clearly defined changeover.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tommyt12 View Post

I believe a press conference would be required for any ground-breaking technology integration. This would include Lightpeak or Liquidmetal.

I don't believe a conference would be necessary for a cosmetic redesign, even in the vain of the Macbook Air, because the new body design was already released in a press conference last year.

Therefore, IMO, we'll be getting:

Redesigned chassis

Dropped ODD,

Sandy Bridge (obviously)

Better graphics

Longer battery life

I think blade flash storage in the professional line is a long shot at this point, but SSD options will be expanded. And unless Apple does some sort of last minute online-only press conference, I'm don't THINK we'll see Lightpeak or Liquidmetal.

If they drop the ODD then they will have to go all blade flash storage, or all normal 2.5" hdd/ssd

Which makes me think they are going to drop ODD, but all blade flash storage is for MBA only this year, to keep the MBA "iPad-like".

Agreed with this:

Redesigned chassis

Dropped ODD

Sandy Bridge (obviously)

Better graphics

Longer battery life (utilising the chunky space left by dropping the ODD)

Only question is: Y NOT TUESDAY UPDATEZ?

Oh yeah and the 15" MBP will weigh as much as the current 13" MBP. Boom!??
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Here's the pickle: Wouldn't a redesigned MBP 13" without an ODD rub up too closely against the MBA 13"? Since the only thing that is "pro" would be the CPU...
  • Reply 10 of 28
    What are the chances the mini gets refreshed at the same time?
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicwalmsley View Post

where are all the rumours? apple are loading warehouses with new product and there aren't 1001 articles on what it all means? is everyone on holiday or something!

Erhm, it's Washington's Birthday today (3rd Monday in Feb) in America (aka Presidents' Day)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington%27s_Birthday
  • Reply 12 of 28
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Anyone who wanted the old model, I hope you already bought it...
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Here's the pickle: Wouldn't a redesigned MBP 13" without an ODD rub up too closely against the MBA 13"? Since the only thing that is "pro" would be the CPU...

More / upgradeable RAM, possibly a combination of SSD + HDD, i. e. more storage, possibly even longer battery life (if they use some of the space left behind by the obsolete Superdrive), possibly a dedicated GPU, SIGNIFICANTLY faster CPU, more ports, backlit keyboard... There would still be a lot of stuff to distinguish the 13" MBP from the MBA.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RamboSOU View Post

Unfortunately quite slim. I don't recall Apple ever updating Laptops on the same day as desktops. I'm waiting for the new Mac mini too (current one was last updated June 2010 so is due for an update), I'm hoping it's 4GB RAM as standard and faster processor, possibly with SSD option.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    801801 Posts: 271member
    You have to admit, Tim Cook is a genius. I mean, look at this inventory control. There is almost no elasticity in the system. They build it, they ship it, they sell it. Heck, they are storing large inventory in wrapped pallets at retailers, not even their own warehouse. I bet the assembly plants are just in time too.

Since they don't manufacture anything themselves anymore,( Tim Cook ) purchase high cost parts as futures (Tim Cook again) Practically build to order ( yea, him again) , the cost of manufacturing is held low. Only fly in the ointment would be the cost of rapid transport ( and they minimize that by making the packaging smaller and smaller, increasing the packing density - like beer cans being redesigned for increased packaging density , while selling it as environmentally friendly)

Yeesh, you gotta be impressed.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kfury77 View Post

Unfortunately quite slim. I don't recall Apple ever updating Laptops on the same day as desktops. I'm waiting for the new Mac mini too (current one was last updated June 2010 so is due for an update), I'm hoping it's 4GB RAM as standard and faster processor, possibly with SSD option.

Also waiting on a Mac Mini refresh. It's the Apple computer whose form factor best suits my needs, but the current internals are virtually identical to my two-and-a-half year old MacBook Pro. Apple would do well to offer higher configuration options for the Mac Mini. If they can put i7's and NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics in a laptop, they should be able to offer the same in the Mini.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Sorry guys I just checked out the Irish Website, dabs.ie and below the existing mac pros is 4 new, "arriving soon" mac pros, which seems like good news until you see the price they are quoting!

The 17" model is listed as '128gb 4gb', that would suggest to me a 128gb solid state - not a full solid state, perhaps a mix of solid state and a larger standard hardrive, and 4gb ram. Price ?3230

The smaller 13" is listed as 'Apple macbook pro 13" c2d 2x4 500'. C2D sounds like its staying at core 2 duo but with larger storage capacity. Price ?2286

The 15" models have one with a i5 and one with a i7. ?2719 AND ?4893.

I really really really hope those prices have some uncoresponding technical reason. Seriously it couldn't be that much, they would price themselves out of the market.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Remind me again guys, are all new Apple products exclusive to Apple Stores for a certain amount of time? How long until the new MBPs hit a retailer like Amazon?
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RamboSOU View Post

Slim to none.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by keros View Post

Sorry guys I just checked out the Irish Website, dabs.ie and below the existing mac pros is 4 new, "arriving soon" mac pros, which seems like good news until you see the price they are quoting!

The 17" model is listed as '128gb 4gb', that would suggest to me a 128gb solid state - not a full solid state, perhaps a mix of solid state and a larger standard hardrive, and 4gb ram. Price ?3230

The smaller 13" is listed as 'Apple macbook pro 13" c2d 2x4 500'. C2D sounds like its staying at core 2 duo but with larger storage capacity. Price ?2286

The 15" models have one with a i5 and one with a i7. ?2719 AND ?4893.

I really really really hope those prices have some uncoresponding technical reason. Seriously it couldn't be that much, they would price themselves out of the market.

fake.