Motorola's iPad competing Xoom won't immediately support Adobe Flash

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
While the ability to run Adobe Flash has been touted as a feature that makes the Android-powered Motorola Xoom superior to Apple's iPad, Flash support is not expected to arrive for the Xoom until Spring 2011.

The news came as a result of a new advertisement for the Xoom on the website U.S. carrier Verizon Wireless. The ad touts the forthcoming tablet's 1 GHz dual-core processor, which is "fully Flash-enabled for video-rich web."

But in mentioning Flash, the site also contains fine print noting that Adobe Flash is expected in Spring 2011. Its apparent lack of inclusion on the Xoom when it launches this week would suggest that Flash is not yet ready for Google's Android 3.0 Honeycomb mobile operating system, which is tailored for tablet-style devices like the Xoom.

Apple has famously prevented the appearance of Adobe Flash on its iOS-powered devices, including the iPad and iPhone. The company has cited poor performance of the browser plug-in

Last year, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs authored a letter in which he panned Flash as unfit for the mobile era of low-powered devices with long battery life. He said he believes Flash was created for the PC era, which was about mice and keyboards, but is not meant for today's touchscreen devices.

In addition to performance issues, Jobs said the delays in bringing Flash to mobile devices were also evidence that it is not suited for the iPad or iPhone.

"Adobe publicly said that Flash would ship on a smartphone in early 2009, then the second half of 2009, then the first half of 2010, and now they say the second half of 2010," Jobs wrote. "We think it will eventually ship, but we're glad we didn't hold our breath. Who knows how it will perform?"

Motorola has not been alone in pushing the ability of its tablet to run Flash. Last month, Toshiba launched a product site for its new tablet using Flash, which blocked iPhone or iPad visitors from accessing the page. Those on an iOS device were greeted with the message: "Such a shame. Add this to the list of interesting places on the internet you can't see on your device. Of course, if you had a Toshiba Tablet you would enjoy the entire internet. Yep, Flash sites too."

The 3G version of the Motorola Xoom with 32GB of flash memory is set to launch on Thursday for $800. The company has said that a Wi-Fi-only 32GB model will launch later this year for $600.

The hardware, which also features a 10.1-inch display and front-facing 2-megapixel camera and rear-facing 5-megapixel camera, was unveiled in early January at the Consumer Electronics Show. Motorola hyped the device with a pricey Super Bowl advertisement earlier this month, with a minute-long spot that suggested Apple device users are drones in an Orwellian world similar to the one created in the novel "1984."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 93
    Then this is the PERFECT opportunity for someone to see how fast and smooth everything is, plus battery life *before* Flash is installed (and the 10.2 version) and then run this again afterwards.
  • Reply 2 of 93
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Oh no, the Xoom is doomed! Doomed I say!

How dare Motorolla release a product that doesn't meet the established web standards. Who do they think they are telling us the consumer what does and doesn't work well.

[/sarcasm]
  • Reply 3 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Then this is the PERFECT opportunity for someone to see how fast and smooth everything is, plus battery life *before* Flash is installed (and the 10.2 version) and then run this again afterwards.

That?s a great idea. They can?t use that as an excuse for not meeting Apple?s battery times.
  • Reply 4 of 93
    It's now been at least 4 years since Steve Jobs originally pronounced Flash as unfit for mobile devices. 4 years! And they still haven't got it right. And yet folks still condemn Jobs for these remarks. I'd say he was right on the money.
  • Reply 5 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

It's now been at least 4 years since Steve Jobs originally pronounced Flash as unfit for mobile devices. 4 years! And they still haven't got it right. And yet folks still condemn Jobs for these remarks. I'd say he was right on the money.

We can only imagine how much worse Flash would be if Jobs hadn?t pointed out Adobe Flash?s shortening and threatened its future with open web standards on the iPhone. I?d say it would be a lot worse than it is now. i bet full flash on a smartphone wouldn?t even be vaporware, but an idea that Adobe would like to achieve one day on some shipping smartphone when ARM Cortex-A15 starts shipping.
  • Reply 6 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Oh no, the Xoom is doomed! Doomed I say!

How dare Motorolla release a product that doesn't meet the established web standards. Who do they think they are telling us the consumer what does and doesn't work well.

[/sarcasm]

Not for nothing... If the Xoom is going to compete with the iPad using a higher price point Moto needs compelling features missing from Apple's product. Flash is the biggest differentiator, but now apparently won't ship with it. It doesn't sound like a winning strategy to me.
  • Reply 7 of 93
    As an Android user I must say that having Flash should be a strike against any device.At a counter, if I were given the choice between HAVING Flash and NOT HAVING Flash, of course, I'd say I want one. I'm guessing that the average consumer would want that, too. I *thought* it would be a net positive on my device but more than a year later I'd say it's a painful experience.

Yes, Flash is great with mouse and keyboard but my fat fingers are useless for selecting anything in a Flash element on my device. I'm also so annoyed about having to let yet another thing load in the web page. There are some Flash objects that require detailed selection, dragging, scrolling. Useless on a 4" touchscreen. USELESS.
  • Reply 8 of 93
    Quote:

Even with mobile devices that have Flash installed, it is fully capable of being removed or disabled at will. You can run tests right now on these said devices. Personally, I haven't seen any mass tech media articles on how flash is destroying battery life on mobile devices. That's not to say that some people aren't having issues, but it hasn't reached a point where large amounts of people are in uproar over Flash and its problems. For me, Flash on mobile devices isn't the destruction of all things that it was made out to be. I don't need it on my device however and although I come across sites every now and then that need it, it's not even close to common.
  • Reply 9 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by briavael View Post

Not for nothing... If the Xoom is going to compete with the iPad using a higher price point Moto needs compelling features missing from Apple's product. Flash is the biggest differentiator, but now apparently won't ship with it. It doesn't sound like a winning strategy to me.

compelling features != Flash
  • Reply 10 of 93
    Quote:

Isn't that a calculated ploy to deceive the customers during their test drive? Show how fast it is without Flash (*to drive sales*) and let the customers suffer after they bought it with Flash slowing it down eventually.

And for $800? I will not risk my precious dollars for it even if Motorola would have a return policy of 90 days.
  • Reply 11 of 93
    HTML 5... 'nuff said.
  • Reply 12 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

That’s a great idea. They can’t use that as an excuse for not meeting Apple’s battery times.

that is an interesting point, how do they claim battery performance numbers without having a key feature that was being jamming down on people. It will be interesting to see how it does when it is playing flash advertisements and videos all the time.
  • Reply 13 of 93
    Quote:

That?s a great idea. They can?t use that as an excuse for not meeting Apple?s battery times.

Given the oh crap REVIEW IT NOW! mentality of most tech news sites, I suspect we'll get plenty of the 'before', but precious little of the 'after'.
  • Reply 14 of 93
    Quote:

We can only imagine how much worse Flash would be if Jobs hadn?t pointed out Adobe Flash?s shortening and threatened its future with open web standards on the iPhone. I?d say it would be a lot worse than it is now. i bet full flash on a smartphone wouldn?t even be vaporware, but an idea that Adobe would like to achieve one day on some shipping smartphone when ARM Cortex-A15 starts shipping.

I think the point of the 10.2 update is to offload the bulk of the processing to the system's GPU. Which is probably why Motorola is waiting until 10.2 is ready. 10.1 might burn a whole through the back of the device.
  • Reply 15 of 93
    I now know where to go for all the latest news about the Xoom
  • Reply 16 of 93
    I'm so fed up with the Adobe ploy..... all talk but no action, pushing the viability down the road while they work out a solution that "might" work.... well now Flash is in the pan and its not going to cook very well, thus the kicking down the field a workable solution to the future.

Jobs had it right in the beginning, its Microsoft type vapor ware and by the time Adobe/Google figure it out an even newer application of technology will make it not necessary (like cloud computing/streaming).

This has been an canard from day one and now everyone knows it!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post

And for $800? I will not risk my precious dollars for it even if Motorola would have a return policy of 90 days.

that's $800 before the required VZW activation fee and the required one month of 3G service... which combined comes to something like $35 for the fee and $30 for that one month.

IOW, you're spending almost $900 off the bat, not counting any applicable sales taxes*

* (caveat - I live in Oregon where we don't have a sales tax, so not sure if it applies in this particular case for everyone else or not).
  • Reply 18 of 93
    Dead On Arrival. This is pure comedy! An $800 price tag and now it doesn't do everything it is supposed to do. Adobe has been preparing Flash for mobile for YEARS and we still haven't seen it shipping in quantities yet. It's just silly now. Looking forward to iPad 2!
  • Reply 19 of 93
    Quote:

As an Android user I must say that having Flash should be a strike against any device.At a counter, if I were given the choice between HAVING Flash and NOT HAVING Flash, of course, I'd say I want one. I'm guessing that the average consumer would want that, too. I *thought* it would be a net positive on my device but more than a year later I'd say it's a painful experience.

Yes, Flash is great with mouse and keyboard but my fat fingers are useless for selecting anything in a Flash element on my device. I'm also so annoyed about having to let yet another thing load in the web page. There are some Flash objects that require detailed selection, dragging, scrolling. Useless on a 4" touchscreen. USELESS.

Finally an Android user that is honestly reporting what flash is like on a 4" screen phone. I'd bet my savings that SJ and his team tested that 5 years ago and had no choice but to scrap Flash to preserve use experience. No compromises to deliver performance AND friendliness. Anyone talking about Apple's evil plots to lock Adobe out for various monopoly/$$ goals is delusional. If Flash was in fact better suited for portable devices than html5 they'd have adopted it in a flash (pun intended) I'd think.
  • Reply 20 of 93
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Jobs was right again about Adobe Flash on low powered devices, just as he was right about the form factor of the tablets. Shouldn't we just accord him the respect he is due?