Apple to celebrate Steve Jobs' birthday with release of new MacBook Pros

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Bundled packages of MacBook Pros reportedly being delivered to resellers and Apple Stores are set to be unwrapped for Steve Jobs' birthday, AppleInsider can confirm.Â*

Jobs, Apple's co-founder and chief executive, turns 56 on February 24. And all signs from within the company suggest that it will use that day -- a Thursday as opposed to the traditional Tuesday -- to unveil the new notebooks, according to people familiar with the matter.

That's the same day previously reported by MacRumors as being 'reliably confirmed' as the expected ship date for the new models.Â*It was previously presumed that this coming Thursday was chosen because it was the earliest possible date Apple could facilitate the much needed MacBook Pro refresh, but chatter from within the company now suggests the timing is intentional.

That date also harmonizes with an earlier report which stated Apple was accelerating its MacBook Pro update, originally expected in early March, for an earlier launch date in late February.Â*

Apple has reportedly advised some of its partners that it may begin shipping sealed packages to stores ahead of a formal announcement, and that those partners are under strict warnings not to open or examine their contents under threat of having their licenses to sell the company's products revoked if they do.Â*

Supplies of the company's high end notebooks have become greatly constrained in anticipation of the launch.Â*

Last year, Apple noted that February 24 marked the 10 billionth song sale in iTunes, a key measure of success for a strategy closely linked to Jobs' efforts to revolutionize the sale distribution of music over the last decade in conjunction with the iPod. However, the company did not call public attention to the birthday of its co-founder and chief executive.Â*

Apple's annual shareholder meetings have also coincided with or near Jobs' birthday, which resulted in shareholders once toasting the executive with the singing of the Happy Birthday anthem. That was done at the suggestion of an attendee, however, and was not led by company representatives themselves.Â*

This year, Apple's shareholder meeting is scheduled for February 23, the day before Jobs' birthday and the expected release date of the new MacBook Pros. While Jobs has largely remained very private about his own history and personal details, including his heath, the company may wish to honor him given his reduced role at Apple during his existing medical leave.

Over the last decade, Jobs has battled pancreatic cancer, undergoing surgery, additional therapy in Switzerland, and finally a liver transplant, procedures that left him appearing physically frail even as he continued to revolutionize the markets for music, smartphones, mobile software, tablets and highly mobile notebooks.

Last week, Jobs met with President Obama among a group of Silicon Valley leaders, but his condition has also been the subject of reports that indicate he has returned to the Stanford Cancer Center, ostensibly for a new round of treatments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 99
    Ironic because thats the day the Xoom comes out xD

Once again shall be sucking all the air out of the room with this one if its true
  • Reply 2 of 99
    Steevo!
  • Reply 3 of 99
    Happy early b-day Steve. Let's hope you have a few more.
  • Reply 4 of 99
    Boost revenue with SJ signed, first issue, Birthday Edition 2011 MBP.

*patent pending...
  • Reply 5 of 99
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Happy early b-day Steve. Let's hope you have a few more.

I hope for a lot more.

Happy B-Day Steve.

Your products bring joy everyday.
  • Reply 6 of 99
    Steve Jobs reports that he will be returning to the Apple Campus full time...SOON!!
  • Reply 7 of 99
    This could still be a major refresh even without an event. Apple released the new 27 inch iMacs in 2009 without an event.
  • Reply 8 of 99
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Well I, for one, expect many more happy celebrations of Steve's b-day in the future.

It should be interesting to see exactly what these look like and cost. I won't be getting one (set for now), but I always like to ogle the hardware, regardless.
  • Reply 9 of 99
    New models out right when I'm in the market sounds more like happy birthday to me than happy birthday to Steve...
  • Reply 10 of 99
    The secrecy and early wrapped shipments with do not open portend a bit more than a speed bump with a sandy bridge processor. SJ's birthday aside, he did mention at the unveiling of the "airs" that the "airs" were the future in notebooks. C'mon Apple, do something impressive.

Happy Birthday Steve.
  • Reply 11 of 99
    Can't wait, but it also gives an indication of how big the guy's ego is.
  • Reply 12 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Can't wait, but it also gives an indication of how big the guy's ego is.

He's accomplished more in one lifetime than you would in a thousand. Now, tell me more about "HIS" ego problems.
  • Reply 13 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

He's accomplished more in one lifetime than you would in a thousand. Now, tell me more about "HIS" ego problems.

Can you prove that statement? No matter what he has accomplished Jobs is a highly narcissistic person with excessive control issues. Wait until his birthday to release new products...oh my!
  • Reply 14 of 99
    Quote:

Snap!
  • Reply 15 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coolaaron88 View Post

Ironic because thats the day the Xoom comes out xD

Which makes an iPad announcement a little more logical.

I really can't see the sending out stuff marked like that and basically screaming 'steal us'

What makes sense to me is live stream the MBP's shipping early next week (order online now)

AND

Announcing a rocking new iPad 2 that starts orders etc in a couple of weeks, first of April, whatever. If they really are going GSM and CDMA in the same unit it would probably have to clear the FCC, so it would leak then. Which Steve abhors
  • Reply 16 of 99
    Quote:

Back off man. No one said "problem" till your post came along. Ego:I:Self

That said, Mr. Jobs should have a huge sense of Self. I believe he's the man.
  • Reply 17 of 99
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Will there be an event, or is this going to be a "silent" upgrade?
  • Reply 18 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Can you prove that statement? No matter what he has accomplished Jobs is a highly narcissistic person with excessive control issues. Wait until his birthday to release new products...oh my!

I agree completely. How arrogant of him to have a product release coincide with the new processors, chipsets, and bi-annual update cycle they've been using for the last four years.

The rolleyes is implied.
  • Reply 19 of 99
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    I wonder if they're doing this in case it's his last birthday.
  • Reply 20 of 99
    Aww.... sweet.

(Just ignore the losers, folks).