Rumor: Apple may refresh iMac alongside new MacBook Pros

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In addition to introducing new MacBook Pro notebooks, a new unsubstantiated rumor claims Apple this week may also release an updated iMac all-in-one desktop with a modified screen size.

Citing its usual supply chain sources, DigiTimes reported on Tuesday that Apple may launch its new iMac desktop alongside new MacBook Pro models. The report said Apple "may make some changes over the screen size to allow panel cutting to reach its optimization."

While a flurry of reports have surrounded the anticipated MacBook Pro update, little has been said about an iMac update. In fact, the last indication of an iMac refresh came from the same publication in December 2010, when it said that Apple could release its new iMac in the first half of 2011. That report said the new iMac would have a "new panel size and price point for the mainstream market."

Apple's iMac line of desktops were last updated in July 2010 with Intel's Core i3, i5 and i7 processors and ATI Radeon graphics. The current lineup has a starting price of $1,199.

In Tuesday's report, DigiTimes added even more support to the belief that new MacBook Pros will launch before the end of February, likely this Thursday. The publication said that most IT malls in Taiwan do not have any MacBook Pro inventory in stock, but added that volume shipments of the new notebooks will not pick up "significantly" until March.

The MacBook Pro lineup is even more due for an update than the iMac, as Apple's high-end notebooks have not seen an update since April 2010. The systems were updated to what were then Intel's latest high-end Core i7, Core i5 and Core 2 Duo mobile processors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    Hallelujah! That's all I've been asking for. Increased screen and lower price is perfect. Looks like I'll be hitting the Apple Refurbished Store this week.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    I would totally jump on a new iMac if the goodies were right !
  • Reply 3 of 57
    The Mac is back!
  • Reply 4 of 57
    Nah, Apple won't do both at same time.

MacBooks will get updates.

iMac will update later.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    I really hope they give an anti-glare option on the iMacs. I'm still using a white 24". Have upgraded to glossy twice and had to go back due to headaches and sore eyes.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition to introducing new MacBook Pro notebooks, a new unsubstantiated rumor claims Apple this week may also release an updated iMac all-in-one desktop with a modified screen size.

Citing its usual supply chain sources, DigiTimes reported on Tuesday that Apple may launch its new iMac desktop alongside new MacBook Pro models. The report said Apple "may make some changes over the screen size to allow panel cutting to reach its optimization."

While a flurry of reports have surrounded the anticipated MacBook Pro update, little has been said about an iMac update. In fact, the last indication of an iMac refresh came from the same publication in December 2010, when it said that Apple could release its new iMac in the first half of 2011. That report said the new iMac would have a "new panel size and price point for the mainstream market."

Apple's iMac line of desktops were last updated in July 2010 with Intel's Core i3, i5 and i7 processors and ATI Radeon graphics. The current lineup has a starting price of $1,199.

In Tuesday's latest report, DigiTimes added even more support to the belief that new MacBook Pros will launch before the end of February, likely this Thursday. The publication said that most IT malls in Taiwan do not have any MacBook Pro inventory in stock, but added that volume shipments of the new notebooks will not pick up "significantly" until March.

The MacBook Pro lineup is even more due for an update than the iMac, as Apple's high-end notebooks have not seen an update since April 2010. The systems were updated to what were then Intel's latest high-end Core i7, Core i5 and Core 2 Duo mobile processors.

if they do this big of a Mac refresh on thursday then Steve is in dire straights with his health. He began with the Mac and may wish to end with focus on the Mac. not trying to be morbid but just a thought.

wonder if Lion will be the focus as well?
  • Reply 7 of 57
    What if it's a refresh of the MBPs and iMacs but with a touch screen. Now that would be news! Wouldn't it be a very interesting computing experience? Whether it happens or not, it would be a great idea to solidify Apple's current rise. And it would simplify Apple's offerings across the product line. Plus at that point they'd be hitting all their main markets with the same type of technology on the desktop, laptop, iPad & iPod market, with superior experience for the computer users. Here's to dreaming.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    There is a reason the MacBook Pros are 3-5 days and everything else is 24 hours. Stay focused.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Hallelujah! That's all I've been asking for. Increased screen and lower price is perfect. Looks like I'll be hitting the Apple Refurbished Store this week.

Not to pour too much cold water on your joy, but I don't read anything in the article that actually says the screens are getting bigger.

The article here is really just a confusing account of a bad translation of a report of a rumour.

This sentence for instance: "... may make some changes over the screen size to allow panel cutting to reach its optimization (sic)." is meaningless gibberish without the original context.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikeysbistro View Post

What if it's a refresh of the MBPs and iMacs but with a touch screen. Now that would be news! Wouldn't it be a very interesting computing experience? Whether it happens or not, it would be a great idea to solidify Apple's current rise. And it would simplify Apple's offerings across the product line. Plus at that point they'd be hitting all their main markets with the same type of technology on the desktop, laptop, iPad & iPod market, with superior experience for the computer users. Here's to dreaming.

I just dont get touchscreen desktop pc's, fingerprints are going to be real annoying. They need to invent a touch where you dont actually touch the screen.

On the other hand, after too much ipad time, I have the reflex of touching my iMac screen
  • Reply 11 of 57
    And what of the Mac Mini. Surely Sandy Bridge will soon be found in that product considering it's basically using the same components as the laptops. And how long before the hard drive in that product goes solid state. I could easily imagine, also, a time when the Mini will be made minus the optical drive.

The end result would be an incredibly small desktop device.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

if they do this big of a Mac refresh on thursday then Steve is in dire straights with his health. He began with the Mac and may wish to end with focus on the Mac. not trying to be morbid but just a thought.

Its not so much morbid as a non-sensical thought. I wouldn't read anything about SJ's, or anyone else's health from a long planned product rollout,
  • Reply 13 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I just dont get touchscreen desktop pc's, fingerprints are going to be real annoying. They need to invent a touch where you dont actually touch the screen.

You mean Tom Cruise-style?
  • Reply 14 of 57
    In another unsubstantiated rumor, all new Mac customers will get a pony!
  • Reply 15 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Make it a unicorn with a rainbow horn and I'm in.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Yay! I've always wanted an pony!
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

Actually, given your history here as a troll, I think you were absolutely trying to be morbid. I guess dishonesty is an integral part of the troll ethos.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bleaknik View Post

Yay! I've always wanted an pony!

Yes! My first (Apple) pony!
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmrtzzz View Post

Yes! My first (Apple) pony!

iPony™ with your iMac

MacPony™ with your MB/MBP/MBA

MacStallion™ with your Mac Pro

• Reply 20 of 57
    Ugh. Just bought a top of the line iMac. Core i7 2.93 with 8GB of Memory, 2 TB Hard Drive. No SSD.

Would have been nice to know last week when I ordered it.