Comma in 'Display Name' when sending mail

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This is probably a silly question.

A friend of mine has what I call "2 first names" -- both his first and last name are common American first names.

So, let's call my friend "William Thomas". Because of his name, he's sensitive about people calling him by the wrong name -- like they'll write "Dear Thomas" when they should say either "Dear William" or "Dear Mr. Thomas".

Okay, so here's the problem -- I have my address book set to display Lastname Firstname. And when I send him mail, it shows up to him as "Thomas William".

What I would like it to show is "Thomas, William" -- with a comma after the last name.

Is there any setting that I can use to make Mail put a comma after the last name?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spunkybart View Post

This is probably a silly question.

A friend of mine has what I call "2 first names" -- both his first and last name are common American first names.

So, let's call my friend "William Thomas". Because of his name, he's sensitive about people calling him by the wrong name -- like they'll write "Dear Thomas" when they should say either "Dear William" or "Dear Mr. Thomas".

Okay, so here's the problem -- I have my address book set to display Lastname Firstname. And when I send him mail, it shows up to him as "Thomas William".

What I would like it to show is "Thomas, William" -- with a comma after the last name.

Is there any setting that I can use to make Mail put a comma after the last name?

Firstly, just enter his real name - the whole thing in either last or first. Have nothing in the other entry. Forget the comma. William Thomas

Or switch the display setting to first last.

Lastly - cya