Copy-Proof-Proof?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Did anyone else happen to hear something on The Audiofiles about Philips plans to release a CD-R drive tech that will allow you to copy copy-protected CDs. I guess the RIAA is up in arms. But I only heard part of the story, anyone have some info?

And if it's true, that could be a god send for macs, since there have been lots of reports of the copy-protected CDs not playing on Macs (and many don't play on any CD-ROM drive, Mac or PC).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Philips merely stated that they have no intention of implementing technologies on their drives that would recognize the copy protection as it is supposed to.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Don't get your hopes up, they simply didn't approve of the non-standard implementation coupled with the term "CD" which Philips has a fiscal and intellectual interest as they were a primary developer of the technology. As such, they might later introduce their own version of a copy-proof technology....one that is "blessed" by them.

This is a turf thing more than some opensource-inspired move. I think that I read all of this from TechTV or ZD.NET or C-NET or The Register.

Don't know what this will mean for future music hardware, can Philips build copy-proof-proof players/writers without instigating some balkanization of the CD-manufacturing industry? Do they control the "CD" namesake enough to use it to pressure the industry? Do they have the clout to affect things?

I sure don't know....
  • Reply 3 of 9
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    Since Philips has sold its music business to Vivendi, and is a large manufacturer of CD-R solutions, it is no longer in its interest to back any CD protection scheme.

More importantly no CD can be called a CD if Sony and Philips do not agree it is (they jointly own the CD patents). By saying that a copy protected CD does not fill the CD spec, Philips can actually prevent anyone from calling a copy protected CD a CD.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by concentricity:

<strong>

first, since the copy-protected 'cd' can't be labeled a CD, they have to call it something else. this makes it very easy to be recognized by those of us who will adamently boycot them.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just checked some random CDs from my collection, and as a matter of fact, almost none of them had any logo, text or whatever on their exterior (i.e. visible to the prospective customer, i.e. recognizable if missing) that explicitly claimed it was a CD.

[quote]<strong>

second, and i would say most importantly, because philips clearly has no reason to support such a technology, and could also gain by undermining it, don't be surprised at all when they release CD-R drives that specifically allow for the copying of 'Copy-Protected Consumer Discs' or whatever.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wouldn't that be illegal at least in the US (DMCA)? If so, I doubt Philips would develop separate US- and non-US-Versions of their CD-Rs...

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 5 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by *l++:

<strong>More importantly no CD can be called a CD if Sony and Philips do not agree it is (they jointly own the CD patents). By saying that a copy protected CD does not fill the CD spec, Philips can actually prevent anyone from calling a copy protected CD a CD.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, but quite frankly, who cares?

I sure don't see a lot of people actually looking for the "compact disc digital audio" logo when they buy CDs at a record store...

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 6 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by RazzFazz:

<strong>

Yeah, but quite frankly, who cares?

I sure don't see a lot of people actually looking for the "compact disc digital audio" logo when they buy CDs at a record store...

Bye,

RazzFazz</strong><hr></blockquote>

you kind of miss the point...

first, since the copy-protected 'cd' can't be labeled a CD, they have to call it something else. this makes it very easy to be recognized by those of us who will adamently boycot them.

second, and i would say most importantly, because philips clearly has no reason to support such a technology, and could also gain by undermining it, don't be surprised at all when they release CD-R drives that specifically allow for the copying of 'Copy-Protected Consumer Discs' or whatever.

philips not only gains the overwhelming support of the "why won't this CD play in my computer?" geek, they also gain the support of every 'napster child' in the world. i think it's clear that the majority demands the uninhibited ability to buy, play, record, backup, and enjoy music.

oh yeah, and by undermining the future of copy-protected media, philips (and sony) can ensure the continued use of their patented "Compact Disc", rather than a shift to 'derivative technologies'.

EDIT: spelling

[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: concentricity ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 9
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I will NOT buy the crap that will not work on my Mac. Don't care if it's the unlreleased-thoerwise Mariah Carey CD, I'm, not cgetting it.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    When the CDs become mainstream, there will be software available to copy it. Everything can be broken.

Andrew
  • Reply 9 of 9
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I attended a lecture on this basic topic a while back and the basic final conclusion was if you can hear it or see it there will be a way to copy it.

As much as people may want to copy protect things in the long run it isn't going to work.

If I were the music industry I would be looking at targeting the internet market more and trying to make up some money from it.