Leaked photo shows 15" MacBook Pro with i7 CPU and AMD graphics

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
New leaked photos reveal the details of Apple's MacBook Pro refresh, with updated notebooks featuring AMD graphics, and high-end 15- and 17-inch models packing quad-core Intel Core i7 processors [updated].

French Apple site Mac4Ever (via Google Translate) posted a photo of what appears to be a 15-inch MacBook Pro box. The site also claimed to have obtained several pictures of the 13-inch earlier on Wednesday.

The site was unable to verify exactly which model the box was for, but asserts that it is "without doubt the entry or mid-range," because the 3D card has just 256MB of RAM.

According to the photo, Apple's next-generation 15-inch MacBook Pro has:

An Intel Core 2.0 GHz i7 quad-core processor with a 6MB cache

4GB of RAM at 1333 MHz

500GB hard drive

15.4-inch screen with 1440x900 resolution

Intel HD Graphics 3000

AMD Radeon HD 6490M GPU with 256MB of memory

FaceTime HD camera

8x SuperDrive

Thunderbolt and Mini DisplayPort

SDXC slot, FireWire 800 port and two USB 2.0 ports

Audio and Ethernet ports

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth

2.54 kg in weight

Update: Mac-TV.de also obtained details and photos of the boxes of the 15-inch and 17-inch models. Specifications of the 15-inch are the same as listed above.

Specifications for the 17-inch model are said to be the same as well, but with a 2.2GHz Quad Core i7 processor and a screen resolution of 1,920-by-1,200 pixels.

And finally, Mr. X, a known and proven tipster, provided part numbers for the five new MacBook Pro models set to arrive on Thursday:

MC700LL/A - MBP 13.3/2.3/2X2GB/320/SD-USA

MC724LL/A - MBP 13.3/2.7/2X2GB/500/SD-USA

MC721LL/A - MBP 15.4/2.0/2X2GB/500/SD/GLSY-USA

MC723LL/A -MBP 15.4/2.2/2X2GB/750/SD/GLSY-USA

MC725LL/A - MBP 17/2.2/2X2GB/750/SD/GLSY-USA

Mac4Ever has a mixed track record with predicting Apple products. In July of last year, the site incorrectly claimed that Apple would release a 64-bit version of iLife '11 with a 'mystery application.' In September, the site correctly predicted that Apple was working on a FaceTime for Mac application, though a rumored FaceTime for Windows has yet to materialize.

According to one report, Apple will wait until after Intel's press event unveiling the Light Peak/Thunderbolt technology to take the wraps of the new MacBook Pros, though it's also possible that the Mac maker could launch the notebooks online early Thursday morning as usual.

For more information, see AppleInsider's MacBook Pro rumor roundup and information archive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    In the meantime, the online Apple Store is already closed.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Nooo!!!!! 1680x1050 should be standard! I sure hope this is the low end model, or I'm waiting for the next rev!
  • Reply 3 of 60
    Wait... Intel doesn't make any mobile quad-core chips yet, afaik?

Hmm.. its not totally clear from intel's site. Can anyone confirm?
  • Reply 4 of 60
    I can't wait until this technology hits the Mac mini.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    2.0 GHz base speed on the processor is pathetic even disgusting, i really don't care how much better the CPU is performance wise on a per cycle basis either. Don't even bring up speed stepping or whatever Intel calls it either. It is pretty obvious Apple didn't find a way to handle the thermals in the current MBP format. Expect bench marks to be all over tge map due to throttling.

The rest of the machine leaves a lot to be desired also. It isn't worth going into details though as I don't see a strong reason to upgrade to this model. It underwhelms in so many ways that it is probably better to wait till Septembef. Yes I'm fully expecting a real upgrade to come rather quickly.

Being the owner of an early 2008 MBP I've learned my lesson.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    If Thunderbolt and Mini DisplayPort use the same port will the screens be updates as well then?
  • Reply 7 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

2.0 GHz base speed on the processor is pathetic even disgusting, i really don't care how much better the CPU is performance wise on a per cycle basis either. Don't even bring up speed stepping or whatever Intel calls it either. It is pretty obvious Apple didn't find a way to handle the thermals in the current MBP format. Expect bench marks to be all over tge map due to throttling.

The rest of the machine leaves a lot to be desired also. It isn't worth going into details though as I don't see a strong reason to upgrade to this model. It underwhelms in so many ways that it is probably better to wait till Septembef. Yes I'm fully expecting a real upgrade to come rather quickly.

dude... quad-core in an apple notebook is pretty big, no?
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:

2.0 GHz base speed on the processor is pathetic even disgusting, i really don't care how much better the CPU is performance wise on a per cycle basis either. ... [snip]

Grumpy aren't we. I'm guessing a new laptop isn't the only thing you aren't getting!
  • Reply 9 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mungler View Post

Wait... Intel doesn't make any mobile quad-core chips yet, afaik?

Hmm.. its not totally clear from intel's site. Can anyone confirm?

Well, it seems the be an Apple-SKU since the new mobile i7 quad-core chips should start at 2,2 Ghz, not 2.0:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3876/i...bridge-part-ii

But i'm sure you can upgrade it for a bit extra of cash.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:

Typical response from the uneducated. Clock speed is no longer a clear indicator of performance and is only a small part of the package itself. The multi cores work together at the base 2.0Ghz speed but if you are running a non multi-threaded application it will 'power off' 3 cores and boost the clock speed of a single core, in this case probably to 2.8GHZ or 3.0Ghz

Also, nice to see Apple going with AMD/Ati graphics. I steer clear of all nvidia based Macs as they are the weakest component. I have had 3 iMacs with nvidia all fail due to a blown gpu card. The Ati iMacs have all been bulletproof. Having the option to switch to discreet graphics is good for an extra performance boost.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    It also seems a bit weird that they added an ATI GPU when the integrated one in the Intel Sandy Bridge is perfect for the mobile space, e.g. enough if your demands for graphics are ordinary.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    I'm really looking forward to getting the official word on the MBP's. I really want to get one to upgrade. Going to suck if this is only a minor update and the major one will be in Sept. I wont be able to wait.......!! I'm in Australia, and I really want to stay up!!
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleMinded View Post

If Thunderbolt and Mini DisplayPort use the same port will the screens be updates as well then?

Why? LightPeak makes old ports forward compatible. We JUST had new displays.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    What? Radeon HD 6490M? That's a step backward from the GT 330M in the current ones. Apple doesn't do steps backward in the models with Dedi GPUs. Sideways, yes. Forward, yes. But going back to something about on par with the 9600M GT? Doesn't make any sense.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    Its 1:15 in Paris there should be more pics and info. "AppleInsider cannot make any claims as to the authenticity of the image and is reposting them for interest and discussion." I guess Apple Inc and the Gizmod incident affected this site.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    No rumored SSD OS Drive

Still a crap GPU with a crap amount of memory Wake up Apple, people want good graphics power in their "Pro" machines.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    The 17" looks like a decent update, provided that one can get it without the Superdrive. ODDs are useless to me.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OmicronTurtle View Post

No rumored SSD OS Drive

Still a crap GPU with a crap amount of memory Wake up Apple, people want good graphics power in their "Pro" machines.

I agree. The only thing holding me back to get a mac is their graphic card.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

What? Radeon HD 6490M? That's a step backward from the GT 330M in the current ones. Apple doesn't do steps backward in the models with Dedi GPUs. Sideways, yes. Forward, yes. But going back to something about on par with the 9600M GT? Doesn't make any sense.

I was planning to buy the new 13 inch but I do not want just intel integrated graphics... disappointed that it does not have nvidia chip in it.

Would it make any difference if I used 13 inch for coding in SDK for iphone apps?
  • Reply 19 of 60
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeOS View Post

It also seems a bit weird that they added an ATI GPU when the integrated one in the Intel Sandy Bridge is perfect for the mobile space, e.g. enough if your demands for graphics are ordinary.

That't not 'weird' at all, its expected. Haven't you seen the non-stop bitching here, when it was revealed that the base 13' model wouldn't have discreet graphics? Yeah. This is the top of the line, quad core i7. It deserves decent graphics.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OmicronTurtle View Post

Wake up Apple, people want good graphics power in their "Pro" machines.

When you wake up and see that millions of people don't give a crap and are buying them anyway.