Upgrading graphics processors in Macbooks?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The $400 price difference between the two new 15" Macbook Pros seems to be primarily related to which graphic card you choose (listed below). My question is, if I get the slower graphics card (Radeon HD 6490), is it difficult to upgrade later, and how much might that cost? Is it cheaper to just get it in the machine to begin with?

AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR5 memory on 2.0GHz configuration; or AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory on 2.2GHz configuration

Thanks

Ryan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    They are usually soldered onto the motherboard so I wouldn't buy with the intention of upgrading later. If you want the fast GPU, get it with the machine. The 6490M is an odd choice as it's lower than the old 330M. They must have gone for a cheap GPU chip to get a quad-core i7 in there.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They are usually soldered onto the motherboard so I wouldn't buy with the intention of upgrading later. If you want the fast GPU, get it with the machine. The 6490M is an odd choice as it's lower than the old 330M. They must have gone for a cheap GPU chip to get a quad-core i7 in there.

Cool, thanks for the info!