Consumer Reports claims Apple's Verizon iPhone 4 suffers same antenna issue

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In testing the new Verizon CDMA iPhone 4, Consumer Reports has found that Apple's new smartphone experiences the same signal degrading antenna issue found in the GSM model released last year.

On the company's electronics blog on Friday, Consumer Reports said it discovered a manner in which the new iPhone 4 can be held that will cause it to drop calls in weak signal conditions. The attenuation issue was reportedly discovered by the company's engineers in lab tests.

"The problem is similar to the one we confirmed in July with the AT&T version of Apple's newest smart phone," the post reads. "It can occur when you hold either version of the phone in a specific but quite natural way in which a gap in the phone's external casing is covered.

"The phone performs superbly in most other respects, and using the iPHone 4 with a case can alleviate the problem>"

The consumer advocacy group noted that there have not been widespread reports of signal issues with the new iPhone with a CDMA radio, likely because Verizon has superior network coverage when compared to AT&T.

But Consumer Reports also opted not to include the Verizon iPhone 4 in its list of recommended smartphones, despite granting the handset high marks in terms of its performance and functionality. That's the same approach the company took last July, when it declared the GSM iPhone 4 on AT&T's network the best smartphone available, but did not include it on its list of recommended handsets solely because of the antenna issue.

In comparing the iPhone 4 to other smartphones on Verizon's network, the organization found that only Apple's phone experienced attenuation issues. The iPhone 4 was compared to the Samsung Fascinate, Motorola Droid 2 Global, HTC Droid Incredible, LG Ally, and Motorola Droid X.

As with the AT&T iPhone 4, Consumer Reports found that covering the thin gap on the bottom left corner of the device with one's hand would cause signal degradation. It found that signal dropped "notably" within 15 seconds of the gap being bridged, and that the handset dropped calls when the corner was touched at low signal strength.

The CDMA iPhone 4 features a redesigned antenna, which Apple has said was done to make the device compatible with networks like Verizon's, and was not done to address the antenna controversy that stirred up after the GSM model launched last summer.

Consumer Reports' decision not to recommend the iPhone 4 last year fueled that controversy and led, in part, to Apple running a limited program where it gave away free cases to iPhone 4 buyers. The case program formally concluded last September, but Apple still offers a free case to customers who experience signal issues and call to request one.

Apple also fired back with a public relations campaign that included giving members of the media a tour of its antenna performance chambers, and a special website devoted to demonstrating signal attenuation issues experienced when holding a number of devices, including the iPhone.

Even with all of the controversy, Apple's iPhone 4 was still the hottest selling handset of 2010. Over the holiday buying season, Apple sold a record 16.2 million iPhones in three months alone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Why bother reporting on the garbage that comes from that irrelevant site?
  • Reply 2 of 104
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    CI is clearly in 'reputation management' mode now.

They should quit while they're behind. Stop digging.
  • Reply 3 of 104
    So buy a bloody cover, don't be cheap and move on...
  • Reply 4 of 104
    I understand that the media is overhyping the attenuation factor, but I am still curious why the other phones they tested don't have the same amount of degradation.
  • Reply 5 of 104
    looks like someone is trying to stay relevant...
  • Reply 6 of 104
    More of the same.... just a non-issue which strains the creditability of Consumer's Report and a no win situation from anyones point of view. Nothing new here, let's move on \
  • Reply 7 of 104
    Well it's good news that Apple did not "improve" the Verizon iPhone over the ATT version which leads one to believe it is a non-issue. It would have been a lot worse if Apple had redesigned the Verizon phone.

I agree with the above comments about CR. Out of touch.

Best
  • Reply 8 of 104
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    in a perfect world i can have a good smartphone with a big screen and that works in elevators. in the real world my HTC has a nice screen and works in elevators but my old 3GS is a much better experience overall. good thing my wife is going to stay with iphones since i'll always have a supply to complement my free or cheap on contract android phones
  • Reply 9 of 104
    who gives a shit
  • Reply 10 of 104
    Wow, just wow. I've actually tested this on four separate Verizon iPhones with varying coverage, and in all cases, there was no attenuation unless you managed to somehow completely encase the phone in your hands which was tough. Also funnily enough, that same thing just so happens to work with every other phone in existence...
  • Reply 11 of 104
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I understand that the media is overhyping the attenuation factor, but I am still curious why the other phones they tested don't have the same amount of degradation.

Because due to the external antenna, Apple's is easier to manipulate. That being said, I've experienced only a handful of drop calls with AT&T's iPhone and even fewer with Verizon's. And I don't use an external case.
  • Reply 12 of 104
    The antenna issue is a testament to how much people love Apple. Consumer Reports are being pretty hard nosed about it, but they are essentially correct. Despite what Apple says, I can attest to the fact that the problem does exist in low coverage areas, while competing smart phones don't have an issue. Apple should have swallowed its pride and fixed the issue immediately, instead of what they did: issue bumpers and then sell another phone with the same issue. We can only hope that Apple fixes the issue once and for all with the iPhone 5.

I sold my iPhone 4 and got a new HTC Inspire 4G, which I love. It has a much larger screen and Android is way more configurable. Maybe I should have kept my iPhone 3GS. Overall, it was a better phone than the iPhone 4, despite having a lower quality screen.
  • Reply 13 of 104
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Consumer Reports is spouting misinformation intended to scare you; ignore them.
  • Reply 14 of 104
    There are a lot of fanboy responses here ripping on Consumer Reports.

Consumer Reports is a reputable organization. Their product reviews are typically very well researched, and carry weight among buyers who like to find out more about products before they buy. I'd bet that most Apple product users are early adopters, so it's no surprise that they don't understand this segment of the market.

So we've got an ongoing antenna issue with Apple iPhones, they report it, so you conclude that the website is irrelevant. Awesome stuff.
  • Reply 15 of 104
    Haha this is outrageous, i had the At&t iphone and it had the antenna problem, switched to verizon iPhone and tried to do the "death grip" and it does not affect the antenna at all no droped call either so F Consumer Report they just got a Dummy iphone hahaha
  • Reply 16 of 104
    Really Big Yawn, what a bunch of crap, would Consumer Reports just go away who in the hell actually listens to these morons.
  • Reply 17 of 104
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

There are a lot of fanboy responses here ripping on Consumer Reports.

Consumer Reports is a reputable organization. Their product reviews are typically very well researched, and carry weight among buyers who like to find out more about products before they buy. I'd bet that most Apple product users are early adopters, so it's no surprise that they don't understand this segment of the market.

So we've got an ongoing antenna issue with Apple iPhones, they report it, so you conclude that the website is irrelevant. Awesome stuff.

I'm more inclined to trust millions of customers than Consumer Reports. I consider Apple and Verizon to be reputable companies, too.
  • Reply 18 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gettysburg11s View Post

The antenna issue is a testament to how much people love Apple. Consumer Reports are being pretty hard nosed about it, but they are essentially correct.

IF they are correct, it is surprising that Apple did not correct this issue. That said, I have the ATT model and it has not been a real issue for me.
  • Reply 19 of 104
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Interesting that Consumer Reports cannot recommend this hottest, biggest selling smartphone in the history of smartphones. It looks like they want to be contrarians to appear relevant.
  • Reply 20 of 104
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    This is so stupid. I have fewer dropped calls on my iPhone 4 than I've had on any mobile phone I've ever owned. I have fewer than any of my friends, except for those who have bought an iPhone 4. I'd love to see real world comparisons among smartphone reception. I bet the iPhone 4 would win.