Purported iPhone 5 part surfaces with alleged deals of sliding cover

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A 30-pin dock connector cable claimed to be a prototype part for Apple's forthcoming iPhone 5 has surfaced overseas, along with more details of a handset with a sliding screen cover that could suggest a hardware keyboard.

tw.apple.pro posted on Monday a photo of a part claimed to be from the iPhone 5. It appears to show the 30-pin dock connector and the ribbon used to attach it inside of Apple's handset. The part is labeled 821-1300-02 HF/c1.

A rough translation of the report via Google Translate claims that recent online photos of a different part claiming to show an edge-to-edge 4-inch display in the next iPhone are fake. Some reports have suggested that Apple is considering a slightly larger screen size for its next handset.

Instead, the report claims Apple has built a new iPhone model with a "sliding cover." It notes that the alleged device has a "frame shape" similar to the current iPhone 4, though the device is "slightly thicker" than the current-generation iPhone.

Though the roughly translated report does not specifically indicate that the "sliding cover" would involve a keyboard, the same site earlier this month said that Apple was evaluating three prototypes for the iPhone 5, and one of them allegedly has a slide-out keyboard. In that report, it was said that a "sliding cover" would conceal a keyboard on the handset.

Finally, the translated post also makes mention of a "3D screen." It seems to suggest that a future iPhone will employ 3D, "but not iPhone 5," it states.

Apple.pro has been the source numerous hardware leaks from Apple's overseas suppliers. Last July it showed off a mysterious small touchscreen it speculated could be used in an "iPod touch nano." Apple eventually, in September, unveiled its new iPod nano with a tiny multi-touch display.

Other parts obtained by the site before their formal announcement include a white iPhone 4 panel, an iPhone 4 battery, and Apple's redesigned MacBook and unibody MacBook Pro both in 2008. However, also in 2008 the same site was the source of a false 13-inch MacBook Pro casing, as well as claims that Apple was working on a 15-inch MacBook Air.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Out of all the supposed features for the new iPhone 5 coming out, I find a slide out keyboard the hardest to swallow. Am Ithe only one?
  • Reply 2 of 63
    I really hope this rumor is either false, that it's just for a prototype, or that there will be iPhones both with and without the hardware keyboard. I've never cared for a hardware keyboard at all, I never will, and in fact, to me a hardware keyboard woul be a downside instead of a feature. The slide mechanism inevitably means design and construction compromises, it will add another point of failure, it's susceptible to wear and tear, it will collect dirt, and I wouldn't use it anyway.

If every iPhone 5 will have a hardware keyboard I will get myself an iPhone 4 the day the 5 is announced.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Out of all the supposed features for the new iPhone 5 coming out, I find a slide out keyboard the hardest to swallow. Am Ithe only one?

No, you're not the only one. The touch-screen keyboard on the iPhone is probably the best out there and works really well. Apple doesn't need and shouldn't add a physical keyboard.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    Quote:

Am I the only one?

No, you are not. What is more likely is that (like previous reports have mentioned) Apple puts out many prototype designs to identify security leaks. My guess is Apple will follow the links back to the source if possible and note them as security threat.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Quote:

If Apple wants to gain more market shares, there would be a need to create a phone with keyboard, given that most of the Blackberry non-corporate customers who are willing to stick to RIMM basically stay because of the keyboard.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    Quote:

If Ive has actually already left for the UK, and Ballmer has taken over as head of design, there might be a slide out keyboard.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    I've had all versions of the iPhone and still hate the touchscreen keyboard. While I love the design/form factor thing - I'm done typing with it.

My friend has an Android and uses Swype, if iPhone had that - that would be a step up. It makes typing a lot easier.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msb0014 View Post

I've had all versions of the iPhone and still hate the touchscreen keyboard. While I love the design/form factor thing - I'm done typing with it.

My friend has an Android and uses Swype, if iPhone had that - that would be a step up. It makes typing a lot easier.

Here you go. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go and solve world peace now.

http://www.boxwave.com/products/keyb...-case_3968.htm
  • Reply 9 of 63
    The part illustrated seems identical to the iPhone 4 component.

The only difference is the serial number.

C.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    I think a 15" MBA is more likely than a keyboard on the iphone.

I do think Apple may expand the iPhone line as they did with the flash iPod Nano and Shuffle, but would be very surprised if they produce a keyboard version of the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    Maybe,Maybe if Apple made an "iPhone nano" that had a smaller form factor would they put a slide out keyboard. But for the real deal iPhone there is almost no chance.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    Quote:

I'd be shocked.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

If Apple wants to gain more market shares, there would be a need to create a phone with keyboard, given that most of the Blackberry non-corporate customers who are willing to stick to RIMM basically stay because of the keyboard.

While I agree there's a lot of people that would probably jump on a keyboard equipped iPhone I just can't see Apple doing one. They design a whole OS for touch and then backstep and add a keyboard? Just doesn't seem very Apple to me. I could be wrong but Apple doesn't conform. Apple makes you do so.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I think a 15" MBA is more likely .

I actually think this is quite likely. I think they should have the mbp and the mpa only. the macbook just does not fit in currently. I think the only way they should keep the macbook is if they make it even more entry level and put it in the 7-800 hundred price range. This way it gets the most basic of users on the OS and into the ecosystem.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    With Mr. Jobs being out on Medical leave, his sarcastic email sent to his design department may not have been fully understood
  • Reply 16 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

I actually think [a 15" MBA] is quite likely. ...

As likely as a 27" MBA then?
  • Reply 17 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A 30-pin dock connector cable claimed to be a prototype part for Apple's forthcoming iPhone 5 has surfaced overseas, along with more details of a handset with a sliding screen cover that could suggest a hardware keyboard. ...

The picture of the dock connnector looks real but completely unremarkable. The rest is absolute nonsense.

iPhone 5 will be thicker, have a slide out keyboard, and 3D?

Only a complete moron would even consider this and only a blog desperate for hits would bother to publish it.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    Maybe this sliding cover prototype is for a second touchscreen, like Sprint's Kyocera Echo. I find this more likely than a hardware keyboard. Down the road it would also make it easier to add a 3D screen on the top part (like the Nintendo 3DS), since (small) touchscreens and 3D don't mix well.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

I hope it's true. I think my iPhone 4 is the greatest piece of tech I've ever owned. God, I love the thing... but it has one serious flaw. The keyboard. It's probably the best on screen keyboard in any phone, but I dread typing anything more than a few characters with it, and I hate how much of the screen it covers up.

I'm thrilled with my iPhone 4, but if the iPhone 5 offers a slide out keyboard, I'll upgrade.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

As likely as a 27" MBA then?

hmm. so you don't agrre that it's likey? ok.