MacBook pro completely unresponsive after updates

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am at a complete loss! My little software update icon popped up last night so I thought it would be a good time to update computer. It is only 15 months old...anyways it turned off and will not turn on. Absolutely nothing happens when I try turn it on. I am afraid of losing all my photos, movies, etc. Any advice? Battery is fine =)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dustijane View Post

Any advice?

Always backup before running a software update. You do back up don't you? Hmmm, I guess not since you're worried about losing stuff. So I guess you don't really care that much about this stuff, or you would have backed it up. Hard drives can and do fail with no warning, and this affects Macs just as much as PCs. Buy an external hard drive and back up to it on a regular basis. OS X has Time Machine built in, but I use Carbon Copy Cloner which can create a fully bootable copy of your internal HDD.

In terms of your more immediate problem, try removing the mains power and battery, then pressing and holding the power button for several seconds. Then, replace the battery, plug in and try turning on again. If this doesn't work, book a genius bar appointment (they're free).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    liamd27liamd27 Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Always backup before running a software update. You do back up don't you? Hmmm, I guess not since you're worried about losing stuff. So I guess you don't really care that much about this stuff, or you would have backed it up. Hard drives can and do fail with no warning, and this affects Macs just as much as PCs. Buy an external hard drive and back up to it on a regular basis. OS X has Time Machine built in, but I use Carbon Copy Cloner which can create a fully bootable copy of your internal HDD.

In terms of your more immediate problem, try removing the mains power and battery, then pressing and holding the power button for several seconds. Then, replace the battery, plug in and try turning on again. If this doesn't work, book a genius bar appointment (they're free).

Yep, set up Time Machine once and let it do the work afterwards.

If the MBPs only 15 months old, he's not going to be able to take out the battery. First thing I would try is put your 'Applications Install DVD' that came with your computer into the DVD drive, and hold down the C key while booting up. This will run Apple Hardware Test. Start the test, and you'll probably see a failure related to the hard drive. Whatever failure there is post here.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by liamd27 View Post

If the MBPs only 15 months old, he's not going to be able to take out the battery.

It's time consuming but possible. The battery is connected to the motherboard with a connector rather than soldered, so he'd have to remove the bottom case and then unplug the battery.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by liamd27 View Post

First thing I would try is put your 'Applications Install DVD' that came with your computer into the DVD drive, and hold down the C key while booting up. This will run Apple Hardware Test. Start the test, and you'll probably see a failure related to the hard drive. Whatever failure there is post here.

I don't think he can do that; he says "absolutely nothing happens" when he tries to turn it on.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    From Apple's support site: How to reset the SMC on MacBooks with "non-removable" battery:

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

6. Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.