First-gen iPad 'deleted' from Best Buy as Apple's imminent iPad 2 launch looms

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
More evidence that Apple plans to surprise with near immediate availability of its second-generation iPad surfaced Tuesday, when it was revealed that retailer Best Buy has listed the first-generation iPad as "deleted" in its inventory.



Photos from Best Buy computers were provided Tuesday to MacRumors. They show that the status of both the 16GB Wi-Fi-only and 3G-capable iPad as "deleted" in the store's inventory system.



Apple is set to introduce its second-generation iPad at a media event on Wednesday. But as exclusively reported by AppleInsider last week, users may not have to wait long to get their hands on the new multi-touch tablet, as people familiar with the company's plans have indicated Apple is preparing for a retail product roll-out later this week.



Constrained supplies and no new shipments to retailers like Best Buy before the second-generation iPad is officially unveiled could be seen as even more evidence of a surprisingly quick introduction of at least one version of the refreshed tablet. That would be in contrast to reports claiming that Apple could be forced to wait until April to sell the device due to alleged supply constraints.



Though the current iPad is marked as "deleted," Best Buy's computer systems are said to not yet have any placeholders for the anticipated iPad 2.







Best Buy's internal inventory system is a hit-or-miss indicator of product information and availability ahead of an announcement. But last month, leaked information from the retailer did accurately reveal the five SKUs and prices for Apple's refreshed MacBook Pro lineup.
«13

Comments

  • elmcitywebelmcityweb Posts: 109member
    iPad 2's should probably be available for purchase this weekend if not sooner.
  • bcahill009bcahill009 Posts: 163member
    This is interesting because I obviously think Apple will still sell the iPad v1 at a slightly discounted price. But when you think about it, it's possible that would not want to do this.



    If Apple rolls out internationally the way they did with v1 then maybe they have a small enough surplus inventory that they can sell it all in these other countries once they realize they won't be getting v2 for months.



    Also, Apple may not want/need to lower their price for v1 and it would deter some people from getting v2. So I actually think the smartest move for Apple is to release v2 shipping right away with 16, 64, and 128gb versions. This should make the most amount of people happy.
  • elmcitywebelmcityweb Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post


    This is interesting because I obviously think Apple will still sell the iPad v1 at a slightly discounted price. But when you think about it, it's possible that would not want to do this.



    There may not be any more iPad 1's to sell.
  • xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post


    There may not be any more iPad 1's to sell.



    There certainly are. I was at local best buy last night, and they had visible inventory of around 10 iPads available. Doubt they could sell all of them by today. Unless their online store uses a slightly different inventory system than their brick and morta store.
  • edmund0dantesedmund0dantes Posts: 12member
    Crikey, I feel like a kid getting ready for Xmas.
  • elmcitywebelmcityweb Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post


    There certainly are. I was at local best buy last night, and they had visible inventory of around 10 iPads available. Doubt they could sell all of them by today. Unless their online store uses a slightly different inventory system than their brick and morta store.



    I was implying there soon won't be anymore iPad 1's to sell, so therefore Apple doesn't need to think about cutting its price.
  • nilsennilsen Posts: 3member
    Anyone have any idea when the event will take place tomorrow?



    -nilsen
  • bakloydbakloyd Posts: 11member
    will this be the "one more thing"? hope not
  • j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    While I do think there will be a new iPad 2 announced tomorrow, I don't think it will be readily available for sale that same day...unless the macbook pro pallets also contained new iPads.



    And haven't we already concluded that the Best Buy inventory system is a crapshoot for predicting new products.
  • elmcitywebelmcityweb Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nilsen View Post


    Anyone have any idea when the event will take place tomorrow?



    -nilsen



    10am Pacific Time, 1pm Eastern
  • welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,249member
    I will be interested to see how much "more" the iPad 2 has to offer. I bought a refurb iPad for my wife in December. Thought I would go that route knowing a new one was coming soon. She loves her iPad, but if the new one is insanely better I bet the old one will still sell for a good price on ebay. Not to mention we saved $100 on the refurb and it is absolutely perfect - not one visible or operational flaw.
  • m33na57m33na57 Posts: 1member
    Maybe not the same day. I sure hope it's going to be in the same week though. That would be wicked awesome.
  • applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M33na57 View Post


    Maybe not the same day. I sure hope it's going to be in the same week though. That would be wicked awesome.



    I hope Apple releases the new iPad within a few days, and throws a jab at companies like RIM and HP who pre-announce months and months in advance for no good reason other than a desperate need to appear relevant.
  • extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post


    I hope Apple releases the new iPad within a few days, and throws a jab at companies like RIM and HP who pre-announce months and months in advance for no good reason other than a desperate need to appear relevant.



    How about we are just happy if the iPad is available so we can get one if we want, instead of worrying about throwing jabs. I think about 50% of this forum needs some couch time because they seem to worry about what everyone else is doing.
  • evolvingmunkievolvingmunki Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Edmund0Dantes View Post


    Crikey, I feel like a kid getting ready for Xmas.



    I see your "Crikey" and raise you a "Great Scott" in agreement.



    I'm ready for a 3g iPad v2, been waiting since this time last year.
  • applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    How about we are just happy if the iPad is available so we can get one if we want, instead of worrying about throwing jabs. I think about 50% of this forum needs some couch time because they seem to worry about what everyone else is doing.



    Maybe you need some "couch time" to stop worrying about what other people worry about. If RIM hadn't been so obnoxious about "antennaegate" then maybe Steve Jobs wouldn't have felt the need to bitch slap them during the earnings call in October. Tablet computers is a small but growing and (soon to be) ultra-competitive industry with a LOT on the line for the winners/losers - worry about what you want, but enjoy the ride.
  • juandljuandl Posts: 226member
    Apple should also have a sticker on the box, "Ready for Lion".



    That would take the wind out of the Zoom's sales.
  • cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post


    This is interesting because I obviously think Apple will still sell the iPad v1 at a slightly discounted price. But when you think about it, it's possible that would not want to do this.



    If Apple rolls out internationally the way they did with v1 then maybe they have a small enough surplus inventory that they can sell it all in these other countries once they realize they won't be getting v2 for months.



    Also, Apple may not want/need to lower their price for v1 and it would deter some people from getting v2. So I actually think the smartest move for Apple is to release v2 shipping right away with 16, 64, and 128gb versions. This should make the most amount of people happy.



    But that's not how Apple does business.



    International customers get the same thing as U.S. consumers. While they may have to wait (or pay more), they aren't marketed older, inferior product. Apple gets over 60% of its revenue from international markets. It is not in their best interest to treat the rest of the world like second-class citizens.



    Supply constraints often dictate a staggered worldwide rollout, but Apple doesn't dumb down their offerings to the rest of the world.



    The only exception I know was a temporary removal of WiFi from an iPhone for China due to local regulations (that restriction was eventually removed).
  • extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post


    Maybe you need some "couch time" to stop worrying about what other people worry about. If RIM hadn't been so obnoxious about "antennaegate" then maybe Steve Jobs wouldn't have felt the need to bitch slap them during the earnings call in October. Tablet computers is a small but growing and (soon to be) ultra-competitive industry with a LOT on the line for the winners/losers - worry about what you want, but enjoy the ride.



    Do me a favor next time you come out of the Apple store start yelling about how Apple just beat RIM or HP. Hopefully someone will stun gun you. If you were interested in a Sony tv would you give a shit what Samsung was about to put out? Do you get excited when Wirlpool puts out a better washer or dryer then Matag?



    I am not sure if its a mental illness if you are always trying to win something that doesn't exist. Then again Apple Stud is a oxymoron so that could be the start of the problem.
  • hypercommunisthypercommunist Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by evolvingmunki View Post


    I see your "Crikey" and raise you a "Great Scott" in agreement.



    I'm ready for a 3g iPad v2, been waiting since this time last year.



    The following says that tomorrow's update might be underwhelming. For what it's worth, I think the current iPad is a good product and any upgrade at the same price would be attractive.



    http://www.cultofmac.com/apple-staff...ce-about/84275



    ?For the iPad 2 don?t get your hopes up too high. That?s all I?m going to say. They?ve had a number of problems along the way, and the third-generation iPad is the one to make a song and a dance about.?
Sign In or Register to comment.