Steve Jobs said to be considering an appearance at Apple's iPad 2 event

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Despite the fact that he is on medical leave from his day-to-day duties at Apple, company co-founder Steve Jobs may appear at Wednesday's iPad 2 media event, according to a new report.

Kara Swisher of BoomTown reported Tuesday that Jobs is "mulling" an appearance at the company's scheduled unveiling of the second-generation iPad. However, sources reportedly stressed that an appearance from the chief executive is "definitely not confirmed."

"If he did appear, sources said Jobs would at least make a brief appearance onstage, along with other top company execs in showing off Apple's latest version of its hugely popular tablet," the report said.

Jobs, who turned 56 last week, has been spotted in public numerous times and even joined other Silicon Valley luminaries for dinner with President Barack Obama earlier this month. He was also spotted at California's Stanford Cancer Center.

Jobs announced in mid January that he would take a leave of absence from his daily duties at Apple. He is still involved in major strategic decisions and remains the company's chief executive.

The Apple CEO has not revealed the condition of his medical leave of absence, citing his health as a private matter. He has a history with cancer, undergoing surgery on his pancreas in 2004, and receiving cancer treatment and a liver transplant in 2009.

Apple is expected to introduce the second-generation iPad at an event at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif., on Wednesday. The media event is scheduled to start at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, and AppleInsider will have full coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Not that the event won't get coverage in all the major news outlets anyway, but this would guarantee an absolutely ludicrous level of coverage.
  • Reply 2 of 72
    Steve could always make an appearance via FaceTime. That would be very apropos for the event.
  • Reply 3 of 72
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ispeakinsong View Post

Steve could always make an appearance via FaceTime. That would be very apropos for the event.

LOL.

"And there's just one more thing... ring... ring...

It looks like Steve is calling. Let's facetime with the forward facing camera."*

* I couldn't care less about a forward facing camera but this would be a cool stunt anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 72
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

While yes it would be 'keuul' to make an appearance; perhaps he should stay a way... just to show that the underlings can handle things just fine without him. I will miss the Steve Jobs reality distortion field effect though.
  • Reply 5 of 72
    bcahill009bcahill009 Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

While yes it would be 'keuul' to make an appearance; perhaps he should stay a way... just to show that the underlings can handle things just fine without him. I will miss the Steve Jobs reality distortion field effect though.

I think the arguement is that by only doing a cameo via facetime, he would be making the statement that the "underlings" can handle the company moving forward, but that he is still overseeing (or at least a part of) big project while he is away. This would show the most stability within Apple IMO.

On the other hand, if the "one more thing" was that Steve is healthy and back full time, that wouldn't be a bad thing either.
  • Reply 6 of 72
    riderrider Posts: 31member
    may be Tim can Face time Steve this time
  • Reply 7 of 72
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    If they wanted to make the biggest splash possible, then they would secretly get Steve there (easier said than done), have him call via Facetime, and then have him say "one more thing" as he hangs up and walks out to meet the crowd and presents the real "one more thing". And BOOM goes the dynamite haha.
  • Reply 8 of 72
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Of course he's going to be there. It's his baby, and it's the future of computing. There's no way he's going to miss it.
  • Reply 9 of 72
    Quote:

Well if Apple wants to promote FaceTime, I can't think of any better way to do it.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    The company, Apple Inc., is Steve Job's best product he's ever made. It has a DNA that will keep it thriving for quite a few decades after his passing. I know of another company like it.

I worked for IBM for a few years. While there, it was common for old timers of 30 plus years to contrast the current company against the original company, and find it wanting. So much had changed. TJ Watson had long since passed, and now their current CEO was so different. The course of the company was so different. Everything was so different.

But the influences that TJ Watson established during his tenure set the course for innovations with a purpose: we manufacture customer satisfaction!

It is no surprise that as customers changed, IBM changed with it.

Apple will thrive even as it too changes with its customers. This is because its founder set the course: we design customer satisfaction!
  • Reply 11 of 72
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    I hope Steve doesn't make an appearance. If he does, and he looks "gaunt," everybody will start wondering about his condition. And, it will seem as if the rest of management is not capable of handling things in his absence. People will start asking if he is ready to come back full time.

He should make an appearance if and only if he does not need to be on "medical leave."
  • Reply 12 of 72
    judge87judge87 Posts: 1member
    While I do think it's a good gimmick I ultimately believe this will end up hurting Apple's stock. His appearance will make people think that apple can't work without him. If he appears unwell analysts will get worried however really no matter how he looks people will get spooked.

If he is really as sick as people think maybe this could be a "last farewell" for Steve... possibly an announcment about him retiring?? Again not good for the stock.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by judge87 View Post

If he is really as sick as people think maybe this could be a "last farewell" for Steve... possibly an announcment about him retiring?? Again not good for the stock.

People have been saying "last whatever" for two years. All it does is kill stock and spread FUD.
  • Reply 14 of 72
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I hope Steve doesn't make an appearance. If he does, and he looks "gaunt," everybody will start wondering about his condition.

We already know what he looks like. He showed up in the White House's official Flickr feed, photographed at a dinner party at John Doerr's house about a week ago. He was seated next to President Obama.

All the major news outlets picked it up.
  • Reply 15 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I hope Steve doesn't make an appearance. If he does, and he looks "gaunt," everybody will start wondering about his condition. And, it will seem as if the rest of management is not capable of handling things in his absence. People will start asking if he is ready to come back full time.

He should make an appearance if and only if he does not need to be on "medical leave."

He's just "calling in sick" so he can oversee the demolition of his old spooky house and the construction of his new one.

Hopefully...
  • Reply 16 of 72
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

People have been saying "last whatever" for two years. All it does is kill stock and spread FUD.

I would like to see how Tim Cook handles this on his own without having Steve Jobs there. If SJ left him in charge then Cook should handle the event. This is nothing more then a media event.
  • Reply 17 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

He's just "calling in sick" so he can oversee the demolition of his old spooky house and the construction of his new one.

Hopefully...

Being the CEO of Apple isn't 6th grade PE. You can't call in sick. That was a pretty idiotic statement. Of course he is really sick, the hope, is that he is doing better.
  • Reply 18 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I would like to see how Tim Cook handles this on his own without having Steve Jobs there. If SJ left him in charge then Cook should handle the event. This is nothing more then a media event.

An ios device unveiling (especially the iPad) without SJ is certainly more that just a media event. Like it or not AAPL is effected in very real terms according to these events.
  • Reply 19 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Not that the event won't get coverage in all the major news outlets anyway, but this would guarantee an absolutely ludicrous level of coverage.

Ludacris begs to differ. He says 'no white boy gets MY level of coverage!'
  • Reply 20 of 72
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

We already know what he looks like. He showed up in the White House's official Flickr feed, photographed at a dinner party at John Doerr's house about a week ago. He was seated next to President Obama.

All the major news outlets picked it up.

No, we don't. All I saw in the picture with Obama and others was the back of his head.