Newly replaced first-gen iPad now discounted $100 by Apple

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The new iPad 2 has replaced the first-generation iPad, and Apple has discounted the starting price of the last year's model down to $399, or $349 for a refurbished tablet, for remaining stock.

For those who don't need the latest and greatest, Apple is selling its remaining stock of last year's iPad at a $100 discount. Users can buy the 16GB Wi-Fi-only model for just $399, and all models are currently available in stock, up to the high-end 64GB 3G-capable model for $729.

Apple is offering an even greater discount of $150 off of the price of the 16GB Wi-Fi and 3G refurbished previous-generation iPads. The entry-level model is available in Apple's online store for $349 for Wi-Fi-only, or $479 for 3G-capable.

For the 32GB and 64GB capacities, buyers will save $70 off the newly discounted price, bringing total savings over the old pricing of $170. The high-end refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi, 3G and 64GB of capacity is $659.

The 3G-capable iPads are GSM/UMTS only, and in the U.S. are only capable of integrated 3G data speeds with the AT&T network. Apple will sell the new iPad 2 in two 3G variants: one GSM, and one CDMA for compatibility with Verizon's network.

The iPad 2 packs a faster dual-core A5 processor, two video cameras, and a thinner design and lighter weight. It has completely replaced last year's first-generation iPad, and adopted the same price points. The 16GB Wi-Fi-only model will be $499 when it goes on sale next Friday, March 11, at 5 p.m., scaling all the way up to the 64GB 3G-capable model for $829.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    At those prices, it looks like you'd be far better off spending the extra $100 and get the new model.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    I sold one for $450 (16GB/wifi) a few weeks ago. I could go get the $399 and it's like I'm making money buying iPads !!

No, I'm not that stupid. Although it's been suggested on this board that I am.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Spot on Ireland.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

At those prices, it looks like you'd be far better off spending the extra $100 and get the new model.

I guess this for people who can't afford the extra $100. And these people do exist.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Now if they'd knocked them down to 199... but the new iPad 2 is a much better value.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    bmoviebmovie Posts: 88member
    I knew they would lower iPad 1, now Xoom is flanked and TouchPad is emasculated. Tab 1 is so "last year" and the $1,100.00 Windows tablet is a tombstone.

iPad 2 is thinner, faster, better, has double video, Facetime and at the same price. iPhone 4 can link to it to create a "hot spot". Apple has two fantastic apps for $5. New case is as exciting as the iPad itself. No need to send it in for 3G upgrade and you have more apps to explore than you could buy in one lifetime. That 93% market share just shot back up to 99.5%!

And Steve Jobs is still alive and kicking!
  • Reply 7 of 17
    My lazy butt didn't sell my 16GB ipad on eBay last week even tho i wanted too.

It cost me big time!!, $150 to be exact.

Oh well, I'll put it on eBay and be lucky if i get $300 for it, and i'll buy the new one on the 11th.

Love the smart screen tho. no more annoying slide to unlock.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I guess this for people who can't afford the extra $100. And these people do exist.

Or people who just need a basic consumption device that will be used for web and email 95% of the time. I just bought a $349 refurb and fully expect it will do everything I want it to and more. There aren't any features in the new model that are worth $150 to me.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Seems to ne £100 off in the UK which is almost a quarter off the base model.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    If the report is true and it is for existing stock only, I actually think Apple are missing a trick here.

If they kept the original iPad selling for $400 they would murder the competition, continuing their stranglehold of the "premium" tablet market with iPad2, but saturating the market with iPad 1 for people who $100 does make a difference. It would probably finish of the Netbook market as well.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    RIM should buy them all up and put a PlayBook sticker over the apple logo. Then they could say 'see, our playbook can do whatever an iPad can do!'
  • Reply 12 of 17
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knownikko View Post

Or people who just need a basic consumption device that will be used for web and email 95% of the time. I just bought a $349 refurb and fully expect it will do everything I want it to and more. There aren't any features in the new model that are worth $150 to me.

$150 it gets a bit easier. and the original model does those jobs pretty well, but still, if you buy the newer model, it's more likely to have the capabilities needed to step beyond your initial expected use in the future.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

$150 it gets a bit easier. and the original model does those jobs pretty well, but still, if you buy the newer model, it's more likely to have the capabilities needed to step beyond your initial expected use in the future.

Agreed, you certainly future-proof yourself with the new model. But for a $150 difference, I'm willing to take that risk given the fairly minimal differences between the two models. This should tide me over nicely until I need to start lusting after a retina-displayed-thunderbolted-quad-core-paper-thin Ipad 3.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Has anyone heard if the new magnetic covers will work with the old iPad? That would be very helpful.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DOSbox-gamer View Post

Has anyone heard if the new magnetic covers will work with the old iPad? That would be very helpful.

I doubt it... they would have to had included the magnets in the frame of the iPad1 in order to make it function properly.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

If the report is true and it is for existing stock only, I actually think Apple are missing a trick here.

If they kept the original iPad selling for $400 they would murder the competition, continuing their stranglehold of the "premium" tablet market with iPad2, but saturating the market with iPad 1 for people who $100 does make a difference. It would probably finish of the Netbook market as well.

I agree but think the iPad 2 will sell alongside iPad 3 rather than 1 alongside 2.

Some estimates are iPad 2 will sell 10M in Q2, once you've got the factory tooling in place to produce that many, drawing that down quantity and increasing for the next model must be a problem and come at a cost. Selling the old model cheaply smooths that transition nicely. Although not a statistically reliable sample, I know more people who bought a 3GS since Summer 2010 than iPhone 4: cost is a big factor for non-'geeks'
  • Reply 17 of 17
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knownikko View Post

Agreed, you certainly future-proof yourself with the new model. But for a $150 difference, I'm willing to take that risk given the fairly minimal differences between the two models. This should tide me over nicely until I need to start lusting after a retina-displayed-thunderbolted-quad-core-paper-thin Ipad 3.

Is double the speed and a few times more ram available to apps really a minimal difference?

As an ipad owner who has to wait for web page rendering while scrolling, the difference is expected to he massive and constantly obvious during every second of use.