What's up with OWC ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Last week I purchased an $89.95 ACARD IDE PCI controller for my computer. OWC charged me 89.95, but sent me a $209 IBM 5400RPM 2.5" 40 Gig harddrive.

These things happen, and even though I was actually coming out on top I did not want the harddrive and tried to get OWC to correct their error. A week later, three phone calls, a cumulative 2 hours on hold, and what have they done about it ? F*ck all.

They haven't sent me an ACARD. They haven't sent someone to pick up the harddrive. The admitted that their shipping department needed an enema, but that's it.

I just want my darned ACARD.

Has anyone else experienced a problem of this nature, with OWC ? My previous experiences with them have been good. What's up ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Bizarre. I've had nothing but good experiences with them, so far. Having purchased a gig of ram and a new 30GB harddrive for my pismo, a firewire card for my pm9500 (now happily running Jaguar, thanks to XPostFacto), a bunch of ram for my b/f's iBook, and a couple of airport cards (back when they had fresh pulls for dirt cheap).

The site could definitely use a redesign, though.

The strangest online store experience I've had is with PageComputers. They have, bar none, the best deals on Epson ink (the real deal, epson brand), so I always order from them. And, uh, I always receive a shipping notification three or four days after I get the package.

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 2 of 7
    My experiences with them have been good.

- T.I.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    in AO ?

hehe

IBM (in before move)

and gandhi, just keep the drive and order the PCI controller again. I mean, why not?

[ 09-25-2002: Message edited by: Defiant ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Just sell the hard disk and buy the one you wanted...

If they keep sending you that hard disk ... and you sell it each time lets say for 190 $ you earn 100 $ each time...

• Reply 5 of 7
    Wasn't sure where else to put my whine, except in AO.

I am tempted to keep the hard drive and order another ide controller, but i have an overdeveloped sense of honesty (damnit).

I did tell OWC yesterday that if someone didn't call me by the end of today telling me that my IDE card was in transit and that someone was going to come pick up the harddrive, I was going to sell it, pocket the money, and get an ATA133 from somewhere else... that's probably fair warning.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    sounds fair to me

OWC is really a great company and has done me a lot of good numerous times. I always try to buy from there if I can, since the prices are the best, they are more than friendly on the phone and their FW cases are the fastest.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Well, to OWC's credit I got a very apologetic call this morning. OWC has now shipped me a replacement (or is it the first) PCI card, and they sent a dude from FedEx to pick up the hard drive.

They have been suffering from some staffing shortages, lately. Given my previous experiences with them, I am inclined to chalk it up to just one of those things, and I am sure that I will order from them again.

[ 09-25-2002: Message edited by: Gandhi ]</p>