Apple releases iOS 4.3 Golden Master to developers

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released to developers the Golden Master build of iOS 4.3, its forthcoming operating system update, just over a week ahead of its scheduled March 11 release.

The download is available to developers through Apple's official iOS developer portal. People familiar with the software say it is known as build 8F190.

Typically a gold master issued to developers is identical to the version that eventually becomes the final release, though two Golden Masters of iOS 4.2 were released after the first was found to have issues.

Apple announced the mobile operating system software update's March 11 released date on Wednesday, and also showed off new, previously unannounced features. Among them is improved JavaScript performance, which is now said to be two times faster thanks to the Nitro engine taken from Mac OS X.

Improved iTunes Home Sharing will also allow users to access all of their content directly over Wi-Fi. And enhancements to AirPlay will allow applications and websites to stream over Wi-Fi to the Apple TV set top box. Sharing of photos over AirPlay can also use the built-in slide show options of iOS.

The new Personal Hotspot feature in iOS 4.3 lets users share their 3G data connection over Wi-Fi. Personal Hotspot will work with supporting carriers and monthly data plans on the iPhone 4.

iOS 4.3 also adds the ability to change the purpose of the hardware switch on the right side of the iPad and iPad 2. Users can choose to have the switch mute audio from the device, or have it serve as an orientation lock, as it originally did when the iPad first shipped last year.

The iOS 4.3 update is compatible with the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, first-generation iPad, iPad 2, and the third- and fourth-generation iPod touch. iTunes 10.2 has already been publicly released, adding compatibility with devices that are running iOS 4.3

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Yay! Time to download.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Someone let me know if it disables the 4 and 5 finger multitouch gestures. Hopefully they've remained--albeit in developer's access only.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Yep, installing now. Waiting on the Apple TV update.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    bcahill009bcahill009 Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Yep, installing now. Waiting on the Apple TV update.

This is what I am most interested in. Please let us know what new things can be done with airplay.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

. Among them is improved JavaScript performance, which is now said to be two times faster thanks to the Nitro engine taken from Mac OS X.

I haven't tried the GM yet since I'm really busy with a project, but I can report that the current version of Safari 5.03 on Mac OS X has some major issues with svg files that contain text transforms in <tspans>. The text renders all screwed up, wrong glyph characters and is truncated. Surprisingly it works perfectly on an iPhone with 4.2 and every other browser on Mac and PC (with Adobe svg plugin for IE).
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Someone let me know if it disables the 4 and 5 finger multitouch gestures. Hopefully they've remained--albeit in developer's access only.

It was announced by Apple that it would not reach final build. it was just a test in the beta builds. We'll know for sure once all iOS devices get it installed today.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    I can confirm that AirPlay is working with video across the web.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iOS 4.3 also adds the ability to change the purpose of the hardware switch on the right side of the iPad and iPad 2. Users can choose to have the switch mute audio from the device, or have it serve as an orientation lock, as it originally did when the iPad first shipped last year.

I'm really pleased they have done that. I'd have been happier with it being a mute switch if it actually muted everything - I still don't get why it mutes some things but not others!

I'll be happy to have it back as a rotation lock.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I'm really pleased they have done that. I'd have been happier with it being a mute switch if it actually muted everything - I still don't get why it mutes some things but not others!.

It mutes things that push like IM, email, phone (iphone), notifications that would be a disturbance in a meeting for example, but let you hear things that are intentionally selected like music.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I haven't tried the GM yet since I'm really busy with a project, but I can report that the current version of Safari 5.03 on Mac OS X has some major issues with svg files that contain text transforms in <tspans>. The text renders all screwed up, wrong glyph characters and is truncated. Surprisingly it works perfectly on an iPhone with 4.2 and every other browser on Mac and PC (with Adobe svg plugin for IE).

Can we get a link so I can try it? I don't doubt you, so I am curious.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Can we get a link so I can try it? I don't doubt you, so I am curious.

sent PM to you
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Build 8F190.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    I'm still very curious about the tethering function, and how it will work. Will the setting simply be disabled if you do not have an approved tethering plan from the carrier?

And our friends at AT&T have been less than helpful. There is no information on their web site on how to add a tethering plan to an existing unlimited iPhone data plan. Presumably one must downgrade.

Perhaps a developer with an unlimited plan can load the GM and let us know if the preference is unavailable?
  • Reply 14 of 32
    blesioblesio Posts: 2member
    mstone, can you please pm me the link for iphone 4 4.3 GM also?

thanks
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blesio View Post

mstone, can you please pm me the link for iphone 4 4.3 GM also?

thanks

It wasn't a link to the GM, it was link to test a website that doesn't work with Safari 5.03 on OS X.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    blesioblesio Posts: 2member
    oh well, it was worth a try though

thanks anyway
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

They're still present...
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I never tried with the 4.2.1 mobile safari, but the link you sent me works fine in 4.3. mobile safari and yes it fails on 5.03 Safari. Looks good on Chrome though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

They're still present...

It must be an iPad thing, doesn't work on my i4.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Quote:

They're still there!

Settings > General > Multitasking Gestures > ON/OFF

If they were on in a beta build, they're still on for you in the GM.

However, I saw in another forum post that Multitasking Gestures were only enabled (even though it's an option anyway) if your iPad was a designated developer iPad.

So I'm not sure if they are there for everyone, or just people whose UUIDs were registered with the developer program and/or containing a development profile through Xcode.

Either way, I'm happy! Have got very used to full hand close pinching an app to return home, and four fingered flicking the app menu bar up.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

I'm still very curious about the tethering function, and how it will work. Will the setting simply be disabled if you do not have an approved tethering plan from the carrier?

Correct

Quote:

And our friends at AT&T have been less than helpful. There is no information on their web site on how to add a tethering plan to an existing unlimited iPhone data plan. Presumably one must downgrade.?

At&t does not allow for the ability to have tethering with an unlimited data plan period. You have to either have the 2 or 4 gig data plan before they will sell you a tethering plan.