original 2007 iPhone compatible with new 2011 MBP?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm currently using a PowerBook G4 and an original 2007 iPhone.

[pause for people to laugh, catch their breath, etc.]

I'll be upgrading very soon to a new 2011 MBP and a new iPhone. I know the new iPhone isn't compatible with my old PowerBook, but will my *original* iPhone be compatible with my *new* MBP?

Obviously, the standard upgrade protocol involves syncing one's old iPhone to the MBP, and then plugging in and setting up the new iPhone, so the new iPhone starts out with the exact same info. as the iPhone it's replacing. I haven't seen anything to suggest an original iPhone isn't compatible with new MBPs, but I thought I'd ask, just to be sure. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I'm also using an iPhone 2G. Day One, 2007.

Of course it will work. Apple doesn't drop official support for devices until seven years after their release, and every single peripheral conceivable from 1997 on works with any current Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsk173 View Post

.... I know the new iPhone isn't compatible with my old PowerBook, ...

well... That's just not true... Your old phone will work just fine with a brand new computer ... Even with a Windows computer.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jsk173jsk173 Posts: 42member
    Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear I should be able to upgrade without much (additional) hassle.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

well... That's just not true... Your old phone will work just fine with a brand new computer ... Even with a Windows computer.

You might have misread my comment. An old iPhone might work with a new computer, but the *new* iPhone (iPhone 4) apparently isn't compatible with an *old* PowerBook G4. I believe the iPhone 4 requires Leopard or Snow Leopard, and my PowerBook is running 10.4.11. Thanks again.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

but the *new* iPhone (iPhone 4) apparently isn't compatible with an *old* PowerBook G4.

Incorrect.

Quote:

I believe the iPhone 4 requires Leopard or Snow Leopard, and my PowerBook is running 10.4.11. Thanks again.

iPhone doesn't require an OS, but rather a version of iTunes. Whatever lowest version of iTunes works with the iPhone 4 will work with your machine. It's not like you can't update to Leopard on that machine.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    My mum has been using the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS with a iBook G4 1ghz 640MB RAM running OS X Leopard and latest iTunes ...Up until last week when the iBook G4 of 7+ years finally gave up the ghost. But really... 7 YEARS!) Wow.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

I'm currently using a PowerBook G4 and an original 2007 iPhone.

[pause for people to laugh, catch their breath, etc.]

I'll be upgrading very soon to a new 2011 MBP and a new iPhone. I know the new iPhone isn't compatible with my old PowerBook, but will my *original* iPhone be compatible with my *new* MBP?

Obviously, the standard upgrade protocol involves syncing one's old iPhone to the MBP, and then plugging in and setting up the new iPhone, so the new iPhone starts out with the exact same info. as the iPhone it's replacing. I haven't seen anything to suggest an original iPhone isn't compatible with new MBPs, but I thought I'd ask, just to be sure. Thanks.

Get an iPhone 4, that will go well with your 2011 MBP

As for me I'm going to sit as long as possible on my 2010 MBP, iPhone 4 and iPad 1st gen... Hopefully through the end of 2011 at least.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jsk173jsk173 Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iPhone doesn't require an OS, but rather a version of iTunes. Whatever lowest version of iTunes works with the iPhone 4 will work with your machine. It's not like you can't update to Leopard on that machine.

According to this:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

the iPhone 4 requires at least Mac OS X 10.5.8 and iTunes 10.1.

I know I could upgrade my old PowerBook G4 to Leopard, but with a new MBP on the way, doing that seems like a waste of time and money. I would have upgraded to Leopard three years ago, but I heard it could get sluggish on machines as old as mine, so I've held off all this time.