Apple's MacBook Pros ship with active SSD TRIM support in Snow Leopard

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
New MacBook Pro models are shipping with Mac OS X 10.6.6 (build 10J3210), which supplies TRIM support for bundled Apple Solid State Drives, enabling extended performance of the fast new devices via background maintenance.

AppleInsider previously reported that Mac OS X 10.7 Lion would incorporate support for the TRIM command, which helps the operating system coordinate the maintenance of unused memory cells on the new SSD devices, preserving long term performance.

However, we can now exclusively report that Apple has also added the feature to the revised build on the latest, Thunderbolt-equipped MacBook Pros that shipped earlier this week.

While they appear to run the same Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.6 version, the newer build (10J3210 versus 10J567, the newest build of Mac OS X 10.6.6 available for download from Software Update by other Macs) includes and automatically activates TRIM Support, as noted in System Profiler.

Apple will likely roll out support for the new feature in an upcoming new build of Snow Leopard. The feature reportedly only supports Apple-bundled SSD volumes, but this may change as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It might just be saying the drive supports the TRIM command, not necessarily that it is being used...
  • Reply 2 of 65
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    edited
  • Reply 3 of 65
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    i bet this is a more elegant implementation than the one windows 7 has had since release
  • Reply 4 of 65
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    I would hope I don't have to pay the Apple tax to get this feature as I just got an OCZ Vertex 2 drive.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    fyreflyfyrefly Posts: 4member
    Worse, I have an Apple SSD equipped 2009-era 13" MBP and am running the OSX Lion Beta on it, and no TRIM support mentioned. What gives?
  • Reply 6 of 65
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    I don't suppose someone could explain to me what TRIM is?

Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fyrefly View Post

Worse, I have an Apple SSD equipped 2009-era 13" MBP and am running the OSX Lion Beta on it, and no TRIM support mentioned. What gives?

Maybe they're mad that you're violating your NDA or using software that doesn't belong to you.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It might just be saying the drive supports the TRIM command, not necessarily that it is being used...

Drives that support TRIM (all SSDs) already show up in Snow Leopard as "TRIM Support: No," so this this something new.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Thanks.

I suppose you could click on the link in the article and read about it. Or perhaps use Google or Wikipedia if you don't trust AI.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I would hope I don't have to pay the Apple tax to get this feature as I just got an OCZ Vertex 2 drive.

Did you pay the OCZ Vertex 2 tax? If so, ask them what services they provide. Maybe they expect you to wrap their device in a Windows PC. Of course, the Windows PC tax is significantly higher than the cost of Mac OS X.

Where's the Tea Party when you find yourself with expenses and social costs that you don't want to pay for? Outrageous we have to give up resources to have things!
  • Reply 11 of 65
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

I suppose you could click on the link in the article and read about it. Or perhaps use Google or Wikipedia if you don't trust AI.

Or I could ask some of the nicer people here, and hope not to just get snide remarks like yours.

Some people here are helpful. Others not so.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Are you sure your drive supports trim?
  • Reply 13 of 65
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Quote:

I'm not sure if there is a difference, but according to some testing by MacWorld MBAs equipped with SSDs don't necessarily have the performance issues with writing that TRIM supported drives avoid:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1562...turetests.html

So you might have nothing to worry about if you have a made to order MBP.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Thanks.

Yes, no problem. GOOGLE.

:-)
  • Reply 15 of 65
    squuiidsquuiid Posts: 58member
    I just put an Intel 510 series 250GB SSD in a Late 2008 MBP and despite the drive itself supporting TRIM, 10.6.6 does not. Hoping that 10.6.7 will enable it.

BTW, Intel 510 SSD works fine in a Late 2008 MBP as stated, but does NOT work in a Mid 2010 MBP. You can clone an old SL drive, but you can't install SL from scratch. I tried everything and no go!

Seems to be ok with the Nvidia chipset of the 2008 and not the intel chipset of the 2010.

Ironic!
  • Reply 16 of 65
    iloilo Posts: 6member
    I've been told by some that if you are using whole disk encryption (PGP etc) then TRIM doesn't do you any good. The entire drive always seems to be full, since the entire drive is always encrypted. This means that TRIM never see's "unused space" to clear out. Haven't tested it myself, since I can't justify the expense of an SSD.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    funkyp56funkyp56 Posts: 36member
    reinstalling the latest combo update now to see if it switches the build number.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    friedmudfriedmud Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Thanks.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ssd+trim
  • Reply 19 of 65
    funkyp56funkyp56 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post

reinstalling the latest combo update now to see if it switches the build number.

Any idea where to download this build from as its not the combo on the apple site as of this post.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Did you pay the OCZ Vertex 2 tax? If so, ask them what services they provide. Maybe they expect you to wrap their device in a Windows PC. Of course, the Windows PC tax is significantly higher than the cost of Mac OS X.

Where's the Tea Party when you find yourself with expenses and social costs that you don't want to pay for? Outrageous we have to give up resources to have things!

That's definitely the dumbest thing I've ever read on this site. Maybe even the internet. Wow. I sincerely hope you forgot the sarcasm tag.

Pretty sure you won't have to buy an Apple provided SSD to have TRIM. It would be powerfully stupid for Apple to make that move. I just don't see it happening.