Unable to restore Time Machine using Disk Utility

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I had a drive fail recently and it was the 2nd hard drive in my system that was only for data. It was not the primary system drive. I have a 3rd hard drive in the system which is a Time Machine Backup drive and Time Machine backs up both of my first two hard drives.

I just got the hard drive replaced so have installed it in my system and formatted the drive with the same name as the original drive that failed.

Here is my problem:

I earlier posted about how to best do a restore and the main suggestion was to go into Disk Utility, click on the new drive that replaced the crashed drive, click the Reestore tab, and then go to destination and select the destination which I put as the drive that had failed but is now replaced, I then click on Image in the Source section and select my Time Machine drive, my backups file, and go to the most recent backup that contained this drive that failed. Yet I can select it or any of the files on the hard drive but the open option is greyed out on this screen. The cancel button is the only active button.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Is there another way to restore this drive?

Thank you for your help.