Big Problem with MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am having big problems with my MacBook Pro...

My mouse pad and keyboard no functioning. Safe boot has no effect. Logging as another user has no effect. Repairing permissions, zapping the PRAM, and resetting the SMC has not fixed anything.

Not sure when to start exactly... About 3 months ago, my superdrive died. Outside of its death, I didn't think anything of it.

Fast forward to about month ago. I was using my MBP when all of sudden the mouse froze up (never checked the keyboard). I eventually got it working again after several reboots. Didn't think twice again afterwards.

Last weekend, all of sudden my mouse and keyboard started constantly and for no apparently reason to freeze up. Sometimes reboots worked. Sometimes not. I repaired permissions successfully. Everything seem to work again. I thought it was a weird permission thing?

Tonight, everything died. Both the mouse and keyboard are dead. Neither are functional. For whatever reason, I checked system profiler and I noticed that my FireWire ports aren't registering either...

Here is my system info

Model NametMacBook Pro

Model IdentifiertMacBookPro4,1

Processor NametIntel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speedt2.4 GHz

Number Of Processorst1

Total Number Of Corest2

L2 Cachet3 MB

Memoryt2 GB

Bus Speedt800 MHz

Boot ROM VersiontMBP41.00C1.B03

SMC Version (system)t1.27f3

Sudden Motion Sensor:

StatetEnabled

Under FireWire it says this:

No FireWire ports were found.

Under ATA it says this:

This computer doesn't contain any ATA devices. If you installed ATA devices, make sure they're connected and powered on.

I am running Mac OS X 10.6.6?

Did something get disconnected? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Try booting from your Sl intal DVD - open Disc Utility and choose your hard drive.

That's the top level above your disc name. Then choose repair disc.

Try that first.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Try booting from your Sl intal DVD - open Disc Utility and choose your hard drive.

That's the top level above your disc name. Then choose repair disc.

Try that first.

Can't. DVD drive is shot.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Can't. DVD drive is shot.

Find a drive on any computer that isn't shot and boot from the disk. Verify hardware consistency before anything else.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Maybe this doesn't need to be said- but this is the second or third thread I've seen recently about MBP 4,1 having KB/Mouse problems while running 10.6.6.

Could it be that something in the update mucked things up? Have the problems only been occurring since you updated? It may be worth a downgrade.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by evolvingmunki View Post

Maybe this doesn't need to be said- but this is the second or third thread I've seen recently about MBP 4,1 having KB/Mouse problems while running 10.6.6.

Could it be that something in the update mucked things up? Have the problems only been occurring since you updated? It may be worth a downgrade.

Its possible:

http://discussions.apple.com/message...ageID=12987898

That also talks about it, hopefully 10.6.7 fixed it. If not take it to an Apple store and make it their problem after all that would be a MFG defect.