Moved [GD]: DVD-RW for iMac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I read in macworld magazine, in march of 2002, that by tricking iDVD2 into thinking that you put in a DVD-R disc, you can replace it with a DVD-RW disc. I bought a Philips DVD-RW disc, however, when I switched the dvd-r disc and put in the dvd-rw disc, an error came up.

I tried to erase it with disk utility, but the disc wasn't being read. So, my question is, did I buy the wrong dvd-rw disc, or is tricking idvd2 not possible? Any tips would be appreciated.

[ 10-06-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    What's this doing in A.O.?

And I could have sworn I saw this post in another forum...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Philips is part of the DVD+RW Alliance.

Apple uses DVD-RW drives.

You most likely bought the wrong optical media. Makes sure you buy DVD-RWs instead of DVD+RWs.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    hold on, can my iMac, re burn dvd's??? i thought the only media that it could burn were dvd-r's and i though that was the same as dvd-rams. i know i't can't to the +r or +rw's but it can do the dvd-rws? how confuzling. . .
  • Reply 4 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Philips is part of the DVD+RW Alliance.

Apple uses DVD-RW drives.

You most likely bought the wrong optical media. Makes sure you buy DVD-RWs instead of DVD+RWs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What's the difference between the two?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by xionja:

<strong>hold on, can my iMac, re burn dvd's??? i thought the only media that it could burn were dvd-r's and i though that was the same as dvd-rams. i know i't can't to the +r or +rw's but it can do the dvd-rws? how confuzling. . .</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was under the impression that SuperDrives have always been able to (re)burn DVD-RWs, it's just that Apple doesn't officially support this (either as a company or through it's iDVD software).

[ 10-06-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>