First look: Apple's new GarageBand for iPad, updated iMovie for iOS

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released the all-new GarageBand for iPad, and updated its iMovie application, adding a new look, new features and compatibility with the iPad 2. AppleInsider offers a first look at the newly released software.

Both iLife applications were demonstrated last week by Apple, and can now be purchased, for $4.99 apiece from the App Store. They arrive a day earlier than was previously expected, and also before the new, faster iPad 2 is set to go on sale.

GarageBand simplifies music creation

GarageBand for iPad is compatible with both the first-generation iPad, and the new iPad 2. It takes full advantage of the 9.7-inch multi-touch display on the iPad, and therefore is not compatible with the iPhone or iPod touch.

GarageBand is available on the App Store for $4.99. it offers a collection of touch instruments, including a keyboard, guitar, bass and drums, that allow users to make music anywhere they go.

Users can also access "smart" versions of instruments, allowing them to easily compose music without necessarily knowing how to play. A built-in audio recorder and sampler lets content creators add their own sounds and samples as well.

For those who have an electric guitar, using an accessory to plug the instrument into the iPad allows them to take advantage of the software's built-in guitar amp. The amp comes with different sounds and customizable configurations with stomp boxes.

For a beginner to music, GarageBand could offer an introductory understanding of chords and notes on a musical instrument. The smart instruments will also allow just about anyone to pick it up and start making music.

With the smart guitar, for example, a choice of chords is presented. Users can select a chord to hear it strummed out, or even individually pluck the strings to play all of the notes in the chord. Switching to notes mode works similarly, letting users explore different sounds of a guitar without even owning one.

Unique strumming styles can also be chosen, and users need only pick chords to hear them played. Stringing these together to write or perform a song is simple and fun.

With smart drums, different sounds can be placed on a grid to make different forms of percussion come together to create a beat. Sounds can be arranged from loud to soft, and simple to complex, offering a near infinite number of possibilities and combinations for customization.

The iPad's multi-touch screen works very quickly with GarageBand. Even on a first-generation iPad, there is no noticeable lag and the application runs very smoothly.

iMovie gets new look, features

iMovie is a universal application for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, but it is only compatible with the camera-equipped iPad 2, set for release on Friday. Because the iPad 2 is not available yet, the updated software is shown here on an iPhone 4.

iMovie for iOS (iTunes link) is a $4.99 application that is compatible with the iPad 2, iPhone 4, or fourth-generation iPod touch. Earlier devices are not supported.

Apple has tweaked the interface of the application with a new look and various improvements. Upon booting the new iMovie, users are greeted with a main menu that's designed to look like a retro movie theater, complete with marquee.

One new addition to iMovie is a CNN iReport theme for movies. The addition makes it easy for users to format their content in a style that fits with the 24-hour news channel.

Stories can also be submitted directly to CNN iReport from the iMovie application, as well as to YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo. Content can also be saved to the phone's camera roll, or transferred to or from a user's local iTunes library via the application's file sharing feature.

Users can now fade in from black and fade out to black within iMovie. Clips can be dragged, cut and pieced together using multi-touch gestures, and music and voiceovers can be added to clips.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    GarageBand is amazing, and I can't wait for the 4.3 untethered jailbreak and iMovie for iPad 1 hack.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Yes, Garage Band and iMovie are great apps for end users. But Apple is also sending this message to developers: "Here's what we can do on iOS. See if you can do better."

Developers are going to respond, and that's a great thing.
  • Reply 3 of 55

Posted this to another thread:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I have been playing with GarageBand on my iPad 1...

Long story, short -- it's amazing.

Creatives: musicians, composers, singers will buy the iPad so they can run this app.

Can't wait to see what a touch interface brings to Mac GarageBand and the Pro apps including Logic.

related rant:

Gonna' buy 2 iPad 2s tomorrow.

If it is as good as they say then MSFT better bust it's butt to get Word and Excel on the iPad -- likewise Adoobie-Doo with photoshop, and Autodesk...

All 'board, this train's leaving' the station and goin' to glory.

• Reply 4 of 55
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    GarageBand is simply awesome - I've never played the guitar in my life, but after 20 minutes, I think I can give Prince a run for his money.

With both of these apps, I'd like the ability to wirelessly import/export from/to iTunes/iPhoto/GarageBand.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Yes, Garage Band and iMovie are great apps for end users. But Apple is also sending this message to developers: "Here's what we can do on iOS. See if you can do better."

I don't mind dropping cash for an app a developer has poured his heart and soul into - I can hardly wait.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    carymgcarymg Posts: 72member
    How is this a "First Look" ?

No one has "GarageBand for iOS yet.

This is just repeating verbally last week's demo.

This isn't a "First Look".
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CaryMG View Post

How is this a "First Look" ?

No one has "GarageBand for iOS yet.

This is just repeating verbally last week's demo.

This isn't a "First Look".

What are you talking about? GarageBand is compatible with the first gen iPad - and I've been playing with it for a few hours now.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    I think these two apps finally show the advantage of the larger screen is more than just a luxury; it transforms what the user is capable of doing with multitouch.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iMovie is a universal application for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, but it is only compatible with the camera-equipped iPad 2, set for release on Friday. Because the iPad 2 is not available yet, the updated software is shown here on an iPhone 4.

That is kind of a bummer. I thought they would just omit the camera feature but let you edit. Maybe the iPad 1 doesn't have enough horsepower for the new iMovie and they just didn't want people to have a compromised user experience. I'm sure they wouldn't be simply trying to persuade existing users to upgrade their hardware for no other reason except lack of a camera, would they?
  • Reply 10 of 55
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Very creative applications. What a convenience at such cheap price.

Opens the door to more such creative apps. The possibilities are endless.

Shows another advantage of iPad over its competitors.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

I think these two apps finally show the advantage of the larger screen is more than just a luxury; it transforms what the user is capable of doing with multitouch.

I read recently that, by 2012, HP plans to have WebOS run on all of its computers (in addition to Windows).

I wonder if HP plans to offer multitouch displays and/or tablet interfaces to all its computers.

There is just so, so much potential with multi-touch and large displays (even big-assed table[t]s).

With hindsight, it is apparent what Apple was doing when the redesigned the Mac iMove UI a few years back.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Exactly, Apple has set the bar very high with those two apps. Not to mention iPad iWork suite. It will be interesting to see the Apps that come out.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    GB on iPad (1 and 2) replaces thousands of dollars of equipment. An incredible achievement that will send all other app makers scrambling to improve, and send millions to the Apple Store to purchase! Yay, Apple!
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Very creative applications. What a convenience at such cheap price.

Opens the door to more such creative apps. The possibilities are endless.

Shows another advantage of iPad over its competitors.

Think of it!

For $499 + $5 you can buy a an iPad + GB -- that's way less than the price of a good guitar * ...

... oh, and you get drums, pianos, synths, recorder, etc. thrown in at no extra cost...

I gotta go find my iPod HiFi -- to see if I can use it as a speaker for iPad/GB.

* I wonder if they'll offer an Acoustic Guitar with a hole in the sound board like Willie's

Edit: I bet it will work with the iPod HiFi -- but I need to get a new extender cable -- the one I have doesn't doo all the pinouts.

• Reply 15 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Think of it!

For $499 + $5 you can buy a an iPad + GB -- that's less than the price of a good guitar...

... oh, and you get drums, pianos, synths, recorder, etc. thrown in at no extra cost...

I gotta go find my iPod HiFi -- to see if I can use it as a speaker for iPad/GB.

I get bleary-eyed just thinking about tomorrow...! Gotta get one!
  • Reply 16 of 55
    carymgcarymg Posts: 72member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

What are you talking about?

GarageBand is compatible with the first gen iPad ....

Really ?!?

Holy Smokes ....

I have ZERO idea ....

Downloading now!

Thanks for the unnecessary chastisment/heads-up !
  • Reply 17 of 55
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Is there a way to use a mic/connect a mic on the iPad ? Like how you can connect a guitar to the iPad with an adapter.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    F'ck'n A. Absolutely agree. Go for it!
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Is there a way to use a mic/connect a mic on the iPad ? Like how you can connect a guitar to the iPad with an adapter.

There is mic in as part of the earphone jack.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Apple meticulously plan their things. Everything fit and work together like perfectly designed piece of a puzzle. Simply Magical. These will create a whole wave of ideas from developers very soon.