Analyst: Apple could sell 600,000 iPad 2s during debut weekend

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Analysts predict Apple could sell as many as 600,000 units of the iPad 2 during its debut weekend, a figure nearly twice the amount of the original iPad launch.

Analyst Brian Marshall of Gleacher & Co. sees Apple selling more than a half-million in unit sales on its way to outselling the original iPad, according to Bloomberg. By way of comparison, Apple sold 300,000 units of the first-generation iPad in its first 24 hours of availability last April.

Tim Bajarin, an analyst at Creative Strategies, also believes sales of the iPad 2 could top 500,000 this weekend. ?Apple has such a huge lead,? said Bajarin. ?Competitors are going to be chasing Apple for many years.?

According to the report, analysts from Romand & Renshaw and Piper Jaffray & Co. also expect the iPad 2 to outsell its predecessor. Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray predicts Apple will sell 5.5 million units of the iPad 2 in its launch quarter, handily beating the 3.27 million iPads the company sold during the original iPad's debut quarter last year.

Online orders for Apple's faster, thinner and lighter iPad 2 begin at 1:00 a.m. PT, 4:00 a.m. ET on Friday. Brick-and-mortar sales of the tablet start at 5:00 p.m at all 236 U.S. Apple retail stores and at more than 10,000 retail stores from retail partners Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Verizon and AT&T.

Early reviews of the iPad 2 have praised Apple for improvements made to the device that make it thinner and lighter, while preserving battery life and maintaining aggressive pricing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    For a change, I actually agree with the analysts.

Analysts should stick to predicting sales figures and such, and not speculate on new features.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Analysts should stick to predicting sales figures and such, and not speculate on new features.

Haha I totally agree with you!
  • Reply 3 of 54
    I'm okay with them selling that many as long as they have one for me to buy when I get the Apple Store...
  • Reply 4 of 54
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    ... but I am quite confident they will not have enough for everyone who wants one!!
  • Reply 5 of 54
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    iPad available for purchase now.. 3-5 business days

Going to try my luck with Best Buy or Walmart. Hopefully everyone in my college town is leaving Friday for the spring break and not many will line up.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    With the sheer number of iPad 1's being on sale 2nd hand I think they will sell even more than 500-600.000. New customers AND up graders.

Cheers,

PhilBoogie
  • Reply 7 of 54
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    1 million if the stock is there. Will break all records.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Why can't I order yet???
  • Reply 9 of 54
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Just ordered mine.

64 gig WiFi Only - Black

Tan Leather Smart Cover

Apple Digital AV Adapter
  • Reply 10 of 54
    does yours say 'Delivers: Mar 18 - Mar 25'?...i thought they were going to ship them tomorrow
  • Reply 11 of 54
    wheeleswheeles Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

So you'd prefer they speculate on sales, which is even bigger guesswork than possible features?

Personally, I wish they would all just shut the **** up about everything as they serve no useful purpose other than to manipulate stock prices.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Zzzzz... 1 AM PST woke up, opened Apple Store App from iPhone, click click click bought done, posted this comment. You all have a great day ahead. Zzzzz...
  • Reply 13 of 54
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emoore0616 View Post

does yours say 'Delivers: Mar 18 - Mar 25'?...i thought they were going to ship them tomorrow

My order status just says "not shipped "

My receipt says

Ships: 3-5 business days Delivers: within 5 business days after shipping by Standard Shipping

My email confirmation says

Delivers Mar 16 - Mar 21 by Standard Shipping
  • Reply 14 of 54
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    <<...competitors will be chasing Apple for years...>>

Chasing? Haha...Apple will not be chased. It will methodically take over more and more of the PC, tablet, smartphone, wireless routers, battery chargers, etc., market at its own pace. Nothing more, nothing less. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Okay, so finally got to order online - but ships in 3-5 days and delivers up to 5 days after shipping date? Definitely not waiting that long. My bro will be out in force this evening in SF to try and get me the stuff I need and FedEx it (or DHL) to me here in Sweden. Hopefully I'll have it Tuesday morning before anyone in the US who ordered online

Ha ha ha...here's to hoping!
  • Reply 16 of 54
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

... but I am quite confident they will not have enough for everyone who wants one!!

I wonder about this too. With 18 different models, I cannot imagine they will not run out of some of them in the first rush.

Still, I expect that by Monday they will have sold many more than 600,000!

Do people think this analyst was talking only about in store sales? If they include online orders I would guess much higher
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by veblen View Post

My order status just says "not shipped "

My receipt says

Ships: 3-5 business days Delivers: within 5 business days after shipping by Standard Shipping

My email confirmation says

Delivers Mar 16 - Mar 21 by Standard Shipping

Yeah!

This was not Apple's finest hour.

1) Had to place separate orders -- could only have 1 model & color of iPad per order -- I wanted a White 64 GB WiFi and a Black 64 GB WiFi * 3G ATT.

2) 3-5 day shipping was a surprise -- normally 24 hours

3) could not expedite shipping

4) confusing order process to add additional items to order

5) multiple active shopping carts at one time?

Anyway, finally got them ordered online -- going to go out trolling the local resellers tonight to see if we can pick them up locally -- then cancel online orders.

Hell, I bought a iPad 1 refurb online -- and got it in 4 days

\t

Quote:

RFB IPAD WI-FI 64GB-USA $529.00

Ships within 24 hours

Delivers Mar 9 - Mar 14 by Standard Shipping

Part Number: FB294LL/A

I don't like this new post-order process.

C'mon Apple, we expect better from you!

• Reply 18 of 54
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopicPaideia View Post

Okay, so finally got to order online - but ships in 3-5 days and delivers up to 5 days after shipping date? Definitely not waiting that long. My bro will be out in force this evening in SF to try and get me the stuff I need and FedEx it (or DHL) to me here in Sweden. Hopefully I'll have it Tuesday morning before anyone in the US who ordered online

he is going to pay over $100 in shipping....and then there is duties & taxes.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Son of a ....

I set my alarm on my iPhone, and everything. Then somehow I slept through it. I must have fallen asleep at like 3am, just one hour shy of being able to order. I didn't wake up until 6:30am. I don't know if that makes a difference, as far as the shipping time goes, but mine says 5-7 days.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopicPaideia View Post

Why throw all that $$ down the toilet for shipping, duties, etc? Just wait and buy it from Sweden, or at least from some country on your side of the pond.