Analyst: Apple could sell 600,000 iPad 2s during debut weekend

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Actually, every iPad and iPhone I have ordered from Apple has shipped from China.

I ordered a refurb iPad 64 GB WiFi on the 7th and got it on the 10th.

Code:

All shipment travel activity is displayed in local time for the location

Date/Time Activity Location Details

Mar 10, 2011 12:14 PM Delivered ANTIOCH, CA

Mar 10, 2011 7:21 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery PACHECO, CA

Mar 10, 2011 7:15 AM At local FedEx facility PACHECO, CA

Mar 10, 2011 5:40 AM Departed FedEx location OAKLAND, CA

Mar 9, 2011 9:59 PM Arrived at FedEx location OAKLAND, CA

Mar 9, 2011 4:39 PM Departed FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK

Mar 9, 2011 12:16 PM Int'l shipment release ANCHORAGE, AK

Mar 9, 2011 11:00 AM Arrived at FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK

Mar 8, 2011 3:39 PM In transit LANTAU ISLAND HK

Mar 7, 2011 10:13 PM Shipment information sent to FedEx

Mar 8, 2011 11:07 AM Left FedEx origin facility SHENZHEN CN

Mar 8, 2011 10:44 AM Picked up SHENZHEN CN

On the same order, I ordered a case that was shipped from Covington, CA (a LA suburb) -- it arrived several hours after the China shipment.

Pardon my language

Holy $hit!!

Last summer when I ordered a drive board for one of the robots at work it cost $87 for shipping with 3 day delivery from china, and the box was only 10X10X4 and weighed less than 3 lbs.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chrispoe View Post

It ships from the US, shipping a package of that size from china in 3-5 days would cost an arm and a leg.

Not for Apple.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chrispoe View Post

Pardon my language

Holy $hit!!

Last summer when I ordered a drive board for one of the robots at work it cost $87 for shipping with 3 day delivery from china, and the box was only 10X10X4 and weighed less than 3 lbs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

Not for Apple.

Apple has plane loads of product shipped at a time -- depends on carrier -- I think that SHENZHEN CN is a holding area to pack planes full of product for various destinations

-- sometimes they get to Northern Cal via Alaska/Oakland (FedEX)

-- other times Alaska/Memphis (UPS)

IDR how DHL ships
  • Reply 44 of 54
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

Not for Apple.

Yep. They probably have multiple scheduled daily cargo flights from China to US already, so they can add non scheduled items for very minimal additional cost. Another case of the Apple's huge volumn helping them lower cost.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Meanwhile, Motorola, Samsung, RIM and etc will have smooth sales. ...

I think it's funny how Samsung has tried to spin their executive's statement. End-user sales started as"...quite small," then became "...quite smooth," and ended up as "...quite OK."

Too late. Can't un-ring a bell.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Doubtful he's throwing any money away, as the cost of buying an iPad in Europe is 150% to 200% the cost in the States. Given the cost of shipping and around 20% VAT, he'll probably break even or even save a little. Difference being, he may get the iPad quicker.

Now, why is the price higher? Okay, the VAT. But is there a import duty to pay too, to protect the European makers of tablets?
  • Reply 47 of 54
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I think it's funny how Samsung has tried to spin their executive's statement. End-user sales started as"...quite small," then became "...quite smooth," and ended up as "...quite OK."

Too late. Can't un-ring a bell.

I would love someone who understands the original Korean to tell us who's lying here.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    The engraved iPads ship in exactly the same time as the non-engraved iPads and for the same price. I am sure no one expects Apple to open a package, remove the device, engrave it, and then put it back in the package again. Just way too expensive, and a stupid way of doing things! Quite obviously the engraving is done before the device is packed - and quite obviously the device is packed in China. If Apple can afford to do this for engraved devices, then they can do this for all devices.

Just imagine - last quarter, Apple sold almost 35 million devices (15 million iPhones, 10 million iPods, 5 million iPads, and 4 million Macs, 1 million Apple TV) . If Apple is paying Fedex $10 in shipping from China per package, that is $350 million - enough to buy over 2 dozen brand new cargo planes! Or enough to buy 1 cargo plane and have it shuttle to and from China everyday! They could actually be doing this for a lot less than $10 per package!

It is just mind boggling how much and in what ways Apple is able to save because of its massive volumes!
  • Reply 49 of 54
    I don't understand why all these people are waiting in line outside the apple store by my office (the big on on 5th avenue here in NYC). I just went to buy an accessory and the guy told me that there stock room is so full of iPad 2 inventory they can barely walk around. He said it's funny that these people are waiting, because they have a couple thousand in stock. He also said that his friend who works at the best buy down the street said they have a couple hundred at each best buy store in the city. Also, just got back from Verizon (had to return something for a friend) and they said they have over 100 in stock, and so does almost every Verizon store in the city. Said no need to wait in line anywhere. I think I'll just go grab a drink after work and let the initial line at the Apple store wind down and then walk in and grab one. If not, any of the AT&T stores will have them too.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jugernuts View Post

I don't understand why all these people are waiting in line outside the apple store by my office (the big on on 5th avenue here in NYC). I just went to buy an accessory and the guy told me that there stock room is so full of iPad 2 inventory they can barely walk around. He said it's funny that these people are waiting, because they have a couple thousand in stock. He also said that his friend who works at the best buy down the street said they have a couple hundred at each best buy store in the city. Also, just got back from Verizon (had to return something for a friend) and they said they have over 100 in stock, and so does almost every Verizon store in the city. Said no need to wait in line anywhere. I think I'll just go grab a drink after work and let the initial line at the Apple store wind down and then walk in and grab one. If not, any of the AT&T stores will have them too.

I find it odd that all these store personnel (especially the Apple Store) are so willing to share privileged information with a complete stranger...

...especially when that information deters a sale (at best) or sends the buyer to a competitor's store.

As a former owner of retail computer stores, I would not employ such a person.

Would you?

• Reply 51 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I find it odd that all these store personnel (especially the Apple Store) are so willing to share privileged information with a complete stranger...

...especially when that information deters a sale (at best) or sends the buyer to a competitor's store.

As a former owner of retail computer stores, I would not employ such a person.

Would you?

Having stock does not deter a sale. In fact you could look at is in reverse. If consumers thought there as no way they could get an iPad today then maybe they simply wouldn't show up to the store. Knowing there is a good supply would certainly make me go out and get one today rather then wait a few weeks.

The iPad 2 isn't a major need for people that already have an iPad so I doubt the lines are going to be packed anyways. Also there have been no reports by Apple there could be a supply shortage.

Every indication I have seen leads me to believe that Apple has been working on the iPad2 for a while and is ready to meet the demand.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Having stock does not deter a sale. In fact you could look at is in reverse. If consumers thought there as no way they could get an iPad today then maybe they simply wouldn't show up to the store. Knowing there is a good supply would certainly make me go out and get one today rather then wait a few weeks.

You've never been in sales or retail, have you?
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jugernuts View Post

Not everywhere is the same. My best buy handed out tickets starting at 4:45 to the people in line and "sold out" in 5 minutes. My Target only had the 64gb iPads with 3g.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Now, why is the price higher? Okay, the VAT. But is there a import duty to pay too, to protect the European makers of tablets?

Because the difference isn't actually nearly as much as it may appear. Europeans are enjoying a relatively strong currency, which makes some of them think that their prices are going up just because they aren't going down.