Updated games use iPad 2's 9X graphics boost, campers brave rain at Apple's NYC store

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Campers outside Apple's landmark Fifth Avenue store in New York City have weathered the elements waiting for the iPad 2 launch at 5 p.m. [updated with more pictures]. Also, some of the iPad's top-selling games have been updated to take advantage of the additional graphics horsepower in the iPad 2.

Lines of people await iPad 2

Apple's decision to only sell the iPad 2 at its retail stores and select partners on launch day has ensured that customers around the country are lined up for the second-generation device. It's a change from last year, when initial preorders were delivered in the mail on the launch Saturday.

Outside of Apple's iconic Fifth Avenue store in New York City, dozens of people have been queued since more than 24 hours before the iPad 2 is set to go on sale. Analyst Brian White with Ticonderoga securities said the line in Manhattan has grown to about 100 people as of this afternoon.

Those waiting to be among the first to get the new iPad have also had to brave the elements, as soggy weather has plagued the Big Apple. Outside the Fifth Avenue store, customers have been waiting, holding umbrellas and wearing ponchos as they camp out.

Below are some pictures taken from the New York lineup. Thanks to AppleInsider reader Ryan for the photos.

Update: More shots:

And thanks to reader Tim for this drive-by picture taken outside of Chicago's North/Clybourn Apple Store at 12:30 p.m.

Games updated for iPad 2

Three bestselling iPad games -- Real Racing 2 HD, Infinity Blade, and Dead Space HD (iTunes links) -- have already been updated to take advantage of the more powerful graphics capabilities of the iPad 2. The next-generation tablet features Apple's custom-built dual-core A5 processor.

Apple has claimed that the iPad 2 processor offers graphics capabilities that are up to nine times faster than the first-generation iPad. The new tablet also has double the RAM of its predecessor.

The A5 chip is believed to be based on the SGX543 chip, which is also expected to appear in the anticipated iPhone 5 later this year. The new graphics processor allows the iPad 2 to output 1080p high-definition video through a separate HDMI connector.

In addition, Real Racing 2 HD has also been updated to utilize the gyroscope found in the new iPad 2. Apple first introduced the gyroscope for iOS devices last year with the iPhone 4, allowing even more precise motion controls.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Hope to get mine at BB or Target!
  • Reply 2 of 34
    The iPad 2 can decode 1080p video, but it can only output 720p.

-Peter
  • Reply 3 of 34
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterHutnick View Post

-Peter

Hmm. How do you figure?
  • Reply 4 of 34
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

-Peter

Actually, that's the wrong way around. The iPad can only decode up to 720p*, but with the HDMI adapter will output at a 1920 x 1080 resolution. So it decodes the 720p info then upscales, presumably using a built-in hardware upscaler.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

• Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:

-Peter

Are sure Peter? Looks like the tech specs on Apple's page say Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p with Apple Digital AV Adapter or Apple VGA Adapter (cables sold separately)
  • Reply 6 of 34
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Apple said 9x the performance, Imagination said each SGX543 core was 4.5x the performance of the chip in the first iPad. So its probably an SGX543MP2, the dual GPU variety of it. Its scaleable, the NGP will use an MP4 as in four GPU's.

That sound right? Where else would they get 9x the performance from, if not an MP2.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Campers outside Apple's landmark Fifth Avenue store in New York City have weathered the elements waiting for the iPad 2 launch at 5 p.m.

Not quite the same story in Austin
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Three bestselling iPad games -- Real Racing 2 HD, Infinity Blade, and Dead Space HD (iTunes links) -- have already been updated to take advantage of the more powerful graphics capabilities of the iPad 2.

>implying that graphical processing isn't embarassingly parallel and likely only very minor changes were needed

UE3 is already multithreaded, so that's pretty much covered. Let's see someone put out an iPad2-exclusive tech demo and REALLY push the hardware.

also inb4Fandroids crying about Tegra2
  • Reply 9 of 34
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Actually, that's the wrong way around. The iPad can only decode up to 720p*, but with the HDMI adapter will output at a 1920 x 1080 resolution. So it decodes the 720p info then upscales, presumably using a built-in hardware upscaler.

There a test somewhere using Oplayer app playing 1080p video file and it played fine.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Not quite the same story in Austin

I'd be willing to bet that in the "permanent"stores, rather than in the 2 week only "popup store" that you're so anxious to quote .... it may be a different story altogether. Just curious to know why you didn't "think" to point out what kind of store this was. hmmmm?
  • Reply 11 of 34
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Do we really need to be pulled into the horror?
  • Reply 12 of 34
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    I like the "Big Apple" truck parked outside the Apple store in the third pic.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    It has been raining for days in Pittsburgh but I'm headed to the shady side store at 3pm. At noon there was only one person in line so I'm guessing it won't be a long line at all.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I'd be willing to bet that in the "permanent"stores, rather than in the 2 week only "popup store" that you're so anxious to quote .... it may be a different story altogether. Just curious to know why you didn't "think" to point out what kind of store this was. hmmmm?

There are no lines outside the Mall of Georgia store either. NYC is going to be a different story because of population per square mile. So based on those pictures looks like many are just walking by in the rain.

There is no great conspiracy because people are saying there are no lines. It was already noted several days ago in most places lines will be short.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    I can’t believe you people are so concerned about a gadget when a tsunami has killed millions and will cost all the money in the world to repair the damages. You guys are so selfish! I say you should do the right thing and not wait in line today so I can have a better chance at getting an iPad 2.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I can?t believe you people are so concerned about a gadget when a tsunami has killed millions and will cost all the money in the world to repair the damages. You guys are so selfish! I say you should do the right thing and not wait in line today so I can have a better chance at getting an iPad 2.

Well seeing a another 6.6 quake hit a few mins ago and a tsunami just hit the West Coast of the US I would say your post wins the 2011 award for and Epic Failure at humor.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

There are no lines outside the Mall of Georgia store either. NYC is going to be a different story because of population per square mile. So based on those pictures looks like many are just walking by in the rain.

There is no great conspiracy because people are saying there are no lines. It was already noted several days ago in most places lines will be short.

Yeah Newbee, don't be a tool. I chose that link because it was funny. You really shouldn't try to read between the lines when you are illiterate.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Yeah Newbee, don't be a tool. I chose that link because it was funny. You really shouldn't try to read between the lines when you are illiterate.

LOL! In any case, there are at least 200 people at the 14th street store. There were like 150 at the Soho store at 11 am when there weren't even 50 people here and there were 250 people at 5th ave.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:

Plenty of line at the Barton Creek Mall location before noon. Domain probably has many more since it's a bigger store and is collocated with condo complexes.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    One question: Why?

Also, are they that insecure of themselves?

That impatient?

How they succeed in life is beyond me.