iPad 2 line wraps around the block in downtown San Francisco

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's flagship retail store in downtown San Francisco had already staged a line of more than 140 people before noon today, in anticipation of the iPad 2 launch beginning this evening at 5 PM.

Unlike New York on the East Coast, San Francisco offered clear skies to those waiting in line, many of whom were camped out with chairs and picnic snacks.

For those who forgot to bring food, Apple retail staffers serviced the line with carts offering fruit, chips, granola bars and bottles of water. One enthusiastic shopper waited for iPad 2 while staying busy with his iPhone, MacBook Air, and last year's iPad.

A series of barricades kept sidewalks open while routing the line down block and around the corner. In another five hours, the line is likely to reach around to far side of the oversized block, the same place the iPhone 4 line reached shortly before it went on sale last summer.

Apple's iPad 2 line is likely to move a lot faster however, as the WiFi models requires no mobile service agreement, and even the 3G versions can be set up by the user at home, as they don't involve a contract or subsidy.

Initial online demand appears to delayed online orders to ship in two to three weeks, something which may encourage early adopters to show up for the launch event at Apple's retail stores, helping to generate the dramatic lines that stir media frenzy and generate free publicity.

Last month, when Verizon added support for iPhone 4, critics smirked that the lines the nearly year old phone generated were "laughably short," suggesting that Verizon's thousands of stores should each have generated the same long lines that Apple's couple hundred outlets did when the phone was new.

However, iPad 2 will also be sold at both AT&T and Verizon retail stores, as well as Best Buy, Target, WalMart and some authorized Apple resellers, on the same launch day. That indicates that those waiting at Apple Stores may be there mostly just for fun.

At the same time, Apple will likely offer the the best selection of models at its own stores, a factor that may be important to buyers who have a specific model and color in mind out of the 18 different versions of iPad 2 that Apple is now offering: two colors, three capacities, and three wireless versions (WiFi, 3G CDMA on Verizon and 3G UMTS for AT&T).

Appe's iPad 2 will launch in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK on March 25, and in additional countries around the world in the coming months. Further international availability and pricing will be announced by Apple at a later date, contingent upon regulatory approval.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    I will wait till all the lines die down and see how this version is recieved.I like to see if any glitches appear.

Thanks National Juris Solutions
  • Reply 2 of 78
    foofanfoofan Posts: 3member
    nothing like the aroma of fresh urine, while waiting in line in Frisco
  • Reply 3 of 78
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    My thoughts and prayers go out to all the people waiting in line for an iPad2 in Japan.
  • Reply 4 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foofan View Post

nothing like the aroma of fresh urine, while waiting in line in Frisco

Where is Frisco?
  • Reply 5 of 78
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's flagship retail store in downtown San Francisco had already staged a line of more than 140 people before noon today, in anticipation of the iPad 2 launch beginning this evening at 5 PM.

From Apple 2.0:

"PED, what are the lines like now?

ex ped: Too long and disorganized to count. It fills the FAO Schartz plaza, extends down 58th street, up Madison Ave, and back almost to 59th and Fifth. It's the longest launch line I've ever seen."

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/03/...-block-in-nyc/
  • Reply 6 of 78
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    who really cares about "smart" people queuing up to pay big money for something they can wait few more days and buy it comfortable from pretty much everywhere? lame.
  • Reply 7 of 78
    delete
  • Reply 8 of 78
    "iPad 2 line wraps around the block in downtown San Francisco"

Kinda like Christo, but with less orange.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the people waiting in line for an iPad2 in Japan.

I guess those are all americans, as usual...

My thoughts and prayers go now to all people in Japan.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheRobin View Post

Where is Frisco?

North of Dallas on 635.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    My thoughts go out to everybody involved in the quake
  • Reply 12 of 78
    foofanfoofan Posts: 3member
    sad thing is, they can run in most walmarts and pick one up. But i guess its like starbucks, a place to be seen
  • Reply 13 of 78
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

What kind of comment is that?

Yeah, we all know that there was an earthquake that happened in Japan.

And we all know that the iPad won't be available in Japan for another couple of weeks, so your comment makes no sense at all.
  • Reply 14 of 78
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

who really cares about "smart" people queuing up to pay big money for something they can wait few more days and buy it comfortable from pretty much everywhere? lame.

Why do thousands of people stand outside in freezing temperatures to watch a crystal ball fall every year? It's a social event. It's a gathering of like minded people. And considering that online orders are quoting 2 to 3 week delivery, it may be the only place to get it quickly.

At least it's more useful than any Elmo product ... ;-)
  • Reply 15 of 78
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Quote:

sad thing is, they can run in most walmarts and pick one up. But i guess its like starbucks, a place to be seen

You don't want to wait in line, fine. Criticizing others for expressing their excitement on a special day is childish.

What the difference between people lining up for an Apple day versus others waiting in line for special concert tickets, book signings, movies, shows, etc?

For the first time, I waited in line at the SF Apple store last year for the iP4. Just wanted to try it out to see what the big deal was. It was fun, I met new people from all walks of life, the Apple employees took care of their customers with food, drinks and everybody was happy.

I don't plan on doing it again, simply due to not having that kind of time but I respect those that do it.

You may have a forum to express your opinion, but does not mean you are guaranteed an audience.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    gotwakegotwake Posts: 115member
    Winning!!
  • Reply 17 of 78
    Quote:

Who cares? From the publicity I've seen in the national media it appears that an awful lot of people are at least interested. Now if you said something like "Who cares about the Xoom?" I'd have to agree with you. At the rate that Android craplet is selling, iPad 2 sales will pass it in a few hours. Any time sales records on devices are likely to be broken there is usually some general interest, especially from shareholders.

Waiting on line is usually fun to those individuals. They're not out there to suffer. I've waited on line for Apple store openings in Manhattan and usually everyone seems in bright spirits and there's really no reason to wait at all except to get a free T-shirt or some free finger food that nearby vendors hand out.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    Haha I guarantee those 3 Chinese ladies are not there to pick up an iPad... I think they're there to get free food before hopping on the bus to Chinatown.

(I'm Chinese-American from the Bay, so please don't think I'm racist...)
  • Reply 19 of 78
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    I'm #35 in line at the Corte Madera, CA Apole store and there are approximately 70 folks in line with 2 hours 25 minutes to go. Sunny and mode is festive.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

However, iPad 2 will also be sold at both AT&T and Verizon retail stores, as well as Best Buy, Target, WalMart and some authorized Apple resellers, on the same launch day. That indicates that those waiting at Apple Stores may be there mostly just for fun.

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]

Quote:

I imagine that those near the Walmarts will buy there. The stores in the city are where most people live. OK - a few might be there to be part of the scene.