iPad 2 sells out in many locations after stoking hours-long lines

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Many retail partners sold out their very limited iPad 2 inventories on launch day, but a variety of well stocked Apple Stores ran out of many or all models as well after a launch extravaganza that maintained hundreds of people in hours-long lines throughout the evening.

In San Francisco, Best Buy sold out of its inventory right away, while Apple's own Stonestown store was out of stock within two hours of going on sale. Staffers there estimated they wouldn't have many tomorrow either. Apple's flagship Union Street store downtown ran out of WiFi iPad 2 models, but still had a stock of 3G versions for both AT&T and Verizon, at least of the 32 and 64GB variety, and only in black. It planned to remain open through midnight to offer remaining supplies to the hundreds standing in line

Store staffers plied the line (which for hours continued to stretch around four sides of the block back to the rear door of Apple's store) updating customers about which models were still available as they waited. One customer remarked he'd been standing in line at Best Buy for two hours before employees at that store finally told people in line that they'd sold out, noting with some frustration that he "knew he should have come to the Apple Store."

Lines for iPad 2 in San Francisco stretched longer than last summer's iPhone 4 launch, but Apple seemed to handle transactions faster. Another two dozen people joined the line on the opposite side of the block within a ten minute period after 7 PM, even after WiFi models were reported to be sold out.

One cafe, located near Apple's back entrance, sent out a waiter to chalk out a gap in the line of people waiting so they wouldn't block the front of the establishment. Apple had its own line management in place around most of the block, and had employed security guards to monitor the line. San Francisco police were also at the scene from about an hour before sales began, and remained though the evening.

Lines in New York City's flagship 5th Avenue store were also of record length, stretching around the block and then across the street to the adjacent block. Readers reported the iPad 2 line there being longer than any other product launch as well.

Readers noted early and long lines in a variety of locations, and also reported that inventories of iPad 2 had sold out in many locations, from Columbia, Maryland to Lexington, Kentucky to Dallas, Texas. Stores in the Los Angeles area, including Beverly Center, Century City, Santa Monica and Manhattan Beach, are all reported to be out of their initial supply of iPad 2s, while the Grove store is said to have a limited supply that is running out.

Stores are expected to get new shipments daily, but staffers said they didn't know what they would be getting. Report iPad 2 inventory in your location and we'll add it to our report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    I just hope apple dont push bac the international dates, we here in Canada cant wait for the IP2
  • Reply 2 of 112
    Not sure what kind of inventory the Apple Stores had which is where I got mine. Later got one for my wife and daughter because they wouldn't leave mine alone. Based on the calls I made seems like most Walmarts in my area got 4 units. Target stores in my area seem to get six units. Best Buy seemed to have eight units.

Most were sold out after 5 mins of having them available. When I got to my Apple store today I was #12 in line got my White 64GB with no problem and by the time I left I would say there were 75-100 people in line. Went to the food court got something to eat by the time I came back upstairs they were sold out.

Store said they may get another shipment on Tuesday. Apple Store moved everyone in and out pretty quick just not sure how many got sold.
  • Reply 3 of 112
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    I guess they wanted the publicity of long lines after the Verizon iPhone 4 launch.

Yeah, like most people, I went home empty handed... \
  • Reply 4 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I guess they wanted the publicity of long lines after the Verizon iPhone 4 launch.

Yeah, like most people, I went home empty handed... \

I was kind of surprised everyone seemed to run out so quickly. I thought for sure Apple was going to have a much larger supply for the first day. Not that I know what the supply was but everyone seemed to sell out fast.

I got lucky and found a Target in the middle of nowhere that happened to have several still in stock.
  • Reply 5 of 112
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    I din't expect such lines. Really. So much talking about this is only an incremental evolution, bla, bla, If this was just a minor incremental step - wait until next year and the lines after the next major step ...

And for those saying, these are all fanboys - what a fanboy base Apple has ... But I rather think a lot of people just waited for the second gen and then went straight on the streets. I'm also very curious what they are going to do regarding internat' release.

Congratulations Apple, this WILL blow your competitors away!
  • Reply 6 of 112
    And to think the iPhone 5 will be released in just a few months. And if they didn't allow pre-orders (which I strongly doubt) like the iPad 2, the iPhone 5 lines could be astounding!!
  • Reply 7 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarvijarv View Post

And to think the iPhone 5 will be released in just a few months. And if they didn't allow pre-orders (which I strongly doubt) like the iPad 2, the iPhone 5 lines could be astounding!!

The iPhone lines seem to take forever. Lines for the iPad at least moved quickly.
  • Reply 8 of 112
    I walked into my local Sams Club around 7:45pm and they had about 30 iPad2 left. Bought one for $488. Got lucky as not everybody is a member there.
  • Reply 9 of 112
    those pics arent of any store in san diego
  • Reply 10 of 112
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The iPhone lines seem to take forever. Lines for the iPad at least moved quickly.

Agreed! It took at least 20 minutes to activate each phone last year. BestBuy started selling at 5 and I was out of the store by 5:30 today.
  • Reply 11 of 112
    jim5656jim5656 Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Agreed! It took at least 20 minutes to activate each phone last year. BestBuy started selling at 5 and I was out of the store by 5:30 today.

Just like you said, activations take a while but with the Ipad most people don't need internet off the bat.
  • Reply 12 of 112
    coopercooper Posts: 1member
    Two Apple stores in Columbus, OH both swamped, both sold out. Staff were pretty good in communicating, but no clue as to when next shipment would arrive.

Stopped by MicroCenter on my way home, just to see if/when they were expecting any.

Lo, a glitch delayed their shipment. But based on what they expected, you could pay $25 deposit, for the specific version you wanted, and they gave a $50 credit towards purchase! And will call or email when it arrives. Let's see, you don't have the item, but you're willing to reserve one for me, discount it, and notify me when it arrives?? What kind of customer service is that? I won't be returning to an Apple store anytime soon.
  • Reply 13 of 112
    wtfwtf Posts: 4member
    At one of the few SF penisula Apple stores (the one in Burlingame), the stock of iPad2s was so poor that after waiting in line 5 hrs with only 150 people in front of me when the doors reopened at 5pm (with a max of 2 units purchased per person), I went home empty handed because the 2 people in front of me bought the last 32 Mb Wifi only models. All 16Mb models were sold out well before I got to the front and there were only a few 64Mb (overkill) models with 3G left when I got to the front.

I was not amused and think the 500+ people behind me were similarly annoyed. If I had known that they'd be stocking their own stores with so few a stock I would have ordered online and saved a day waiting in line.

This is a very poor lauch. Yes, they can say they had long lines but if you can't meet at least most of the demand, what is the point. You just piss people off. I think they just lost a customer. This may just be a sign I should save my money
  • Reply 14 of 112
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    If the kind of people buying the iPad2 in other places around the country were as diverse as those Boylston Store in Boston. the weekend sales (invluding online orders) could possibly xceeed a million, perhaps even more if Apple did not underestimate the demand, again.

What gave me this impression is that there seem to be more older people and families on Friday, than they did in the inaugural opening of the store or the original iPad. And really from all walks of life, based on their attire, as well as ethnicities. There seemed to be more Asians and African-Americans too. I detected quite a number of other languages. quite different from the more common ethnicities in MetroBoston.

The cover was quite a hit also = pink, orange(?) and blue the most popular.

A number were buying one but there were many buying two. The maximum per individual is two, but some found a way around it, by bringing a friend or their family, and bought three or four. A family of four bought five and they seem quite happy.

It was a bad rainy day on Thursday until late Friday afternoon in Boston but this did not dampen the people lining up. The inaugural opening of the Boylston store was really packed but, this time it was already almost 9pm and the line was still up to Newburry Street.

Many were asking in front if they could still join the line, but they opted to cut off further any further addition to the line by around 830 pm. Not sure how rhey can process all of them on Friday.

And, it's not just the iPad2 that were selling.

CGC
  • Reply 15 of 112
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I din't expect such lines. Really. So much talking about this is only an incremental evolution, bla, bla...

Yes, but given iPad 1 had what I would call a RAM deficiency this iPad 2 will be an awesome evolution of the product.
  • Reply 16 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarvijarv View Post

If you line up for this stuff you're crazy. If people had more patience they could go back a week or two later to the same store and get their iPad/iPhone right away.
  • Reply 17 of 112
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    ...for the HDMI adapter.

<sigh>
  • Reply 18 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wtf View Post

This is a very poor lauch. Yes, they can say they had long lines but if you can't meet at least most of the demand, what is the point. You just piss people off. I think they just lost a customer. This may just be a sign I should save my money

You'll eventually break down and buy one. I know it, you know it, and we know it. You should have had the sense and the patience to wait it out.
  • Reply 19 of 112
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

I din't expect such lines. Really.

Many must have heard they had Flash-equipped Xooms......

• Reply 20 of 112
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:

I din't expect such lines. Really. So much talking about this is only an incremental evolution, bla, bla, If this was just a minor incremental step - wait until next year and the lines after the next major step ...

And for those saying, these are all fanboys - what a fanboy base Apple has ... But I rather think a lot of people just waited for the second gen and then went straight on the streets. I'm also very curious what they are going to do regarding internat' release.

Congratulations Apple, this WILL blow your competitors away!

If fanboys include young people, moms, dads, kids, whites, blacks, hispanics, asians, grandmas, grandpas, hot chicks, fat chicks, bald dudes, old peeps in cains and walkers, punk rockers, emo kids, heavy metal dudes, dude who looks like Bill Gates, dudes in power suit and tie, blondes, brunettes, you name it, then Apple fanboyism has become really diversified coz those are all the type of people I saw standing in line for the iPad 2..