Strong demand pushes new iPad 2 shipments from Apple back to 3-4 weeks

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Shipping times for new iPad orders continue to slip, with orders placed as of Saturday evening estimated to ship within 3 to 4 weeks.

Demand for the iPad 2 has been so strong in its first 24 hours of availability that Apple has been forced to push back estimated ship times yet again. While initial orders placed in Apple's online store began shipping Saturday for a March 17 delivery, those who hesitated to buy will be forced to wait longer.

Initial orders were scheduled to ship in two to three days, but that estimate was quickly pushed back on Friday as orders continued to flood in. By later Friday morning, new orders were estimated to ship within 2 to 3 weeks.

But orders placed late Saturday may not ship for up to a month. And many retail locations, which began selling the iPad 2 in person Friday evening, have already sold out of their initial stock.

Analysts expect Apple to sell more than a half million of the iPad 2 in its first weekend of availability, besting the debut of the first-generation iPad last year. On the bullish end, one analyst has said that Apple could sell as many as a million of the iPad 2 at launch, thanks to expanded retail availability of the device and greater consumer interest.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I would *love* to know how many Apple had available for sale yesterday...
  • Reply 2 of 46
    *deleted - yawn.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I would *love* to know how many Apple had available for sale yesterday...

I agree. I suspect the earlier reports of problems ramping up to production volumes had more than a kernel of truth, and Apple simply refused to delay and face the bad press. Thus, Apple didn't have nearly the volumes available needed for the rush. If there's no talk of actual sales volumes early next week, we'll know the number is below everyone's expectations.

Fortunately, we ordered our new iPad 2 at 12:55 AM on Friday here in CA, and delivery is scheduled for next Thursday! So, we're checking our FedEx tracking number every hour for updates.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    This is hardly surprising to me, and I can only LOL at some people who are claiming that this is some sort of conspiracy. These people obviously have no concept of logistics or any common sense at all. These are probably the same clueless people that were expecting a retina display in the iPad2. I'm pretty sure that the factories are pumping out iPad2's as fast as they can make them. Even so, the initial demand is so great that there is bound to be supply shortages when it first comes out. This isn't the Xoom we're talking about here, this is the iPad.

Should Apple have quit making and selling iPad1's months ago and just stocked up many millions of iPad2s and put them in a huge warehouse somewhere?

I think that people don't realize that the iPad is being adopted faster than the VHS, DVD, game console and digital camera was when they were first released. The iPad is huge! That means that some people might have to wait a little bit to get one. Not bad for a useless toy huh?

The iPad built a following faster than the original video- cassette recorder, DVD player, game console or digital camera, said Colin McGranahan, a retail analyst at Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. in New York.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...rst-model.html
  • Reply 5 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

I agree. I suspect the earlier reports of problems ramping up to production volumes had more than a kernel of truth, and Apple simply refused to delay and face the bad press. Thus, Apple didn't have nearly the volumes available needed for the rush. If there's no talk of actual sales volumes early next week, we'll know the number is below everyone's expectations.

Fortunately, we ordered our new iPad 2 at 12:55 AM on Friday here in CA, and delivery is scheduled for next Thursday! So, we're checking our FedEx tracking number every hour for updates.

I was on line Friday at an Apple store here in NYC. The first one to go was the 16GB WiFi white. It went pretty quickly. The white models in general went pretty fast, according to sales people. There had to be a thousand people in line at the 14th st store.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    esp211esp211 Posts: 16member
    They are sold out everywhere in San Diego. I went to the Apple Store, Best Buy, Target, and Verizonwireless last night but didn't want to wait in line so it looks like I will be waiting for a month for mine.

I strongly believe that Apple should thank the Xoom (and the competition) for the demand of the iPad 2. People had nothing to compare it to until the Xoom came along. Without their utter failure to impress and deliver (Flash/SD slot not ready and send in for LTE upgrade? Really?), I don't think people would be gobbling up the iPad 2 right now.

On a side note, I was looking at the new iPods and I can only imagine that the iPads will take on its thinness and weight within 3-4 years but with much more functionality. If you don't have Apple stock then it is not too late as it will continue to grow in a market that simply didn't exist before. This is bigger than the iPod and the iPhone. I doubt anyone will make anything that comes even close in quality and value any time soon.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Went to the closest Apple store today around noon and had a 32gb black wi-fi in my hands in about 3 minutes, I can't believe my timing. Not trying to rub it in, I called the store last night and they suggested showing up around noon. Said second shipment of the day, they we're opening the box when they reserved mine.

This thing is slick!
  • Reply 8 of 46
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I was on line Friday at an Apple store here in NYC. The first one to go was the 16GB WiFi white. It went pretty quickly. The white models in general went pretty fast, according to sales people. There had to be a thousand people in line at the 14th st store.

Yep. I was there. It went down 10th around to 24th street. It was insane! I was #17! they told me there was over a thousand people waiting. They were in line again today. I say get there when they open and u will have one.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Just for some perspective, I was on vacation at Amelia Island in Florida. I went to the North Jacksonville Best Buy. This store had an Apple Store within the store. I got there at about 4:15 local time and was probably about 40 deep in the line. When 4:30 came, tickets started going out, and by about person 30 the employee announced, "All the 16 GB WiFi models are gone." When the employee got to me I asked for a 64 GB 3G AT&T (AT&T service is astounding in my area, so trolls can suck it). When the employee opened the envelope designated for those tickets, there were still at least 10 tickets available, and that's a very low-ball estimate as I was quite giddy at the time for having actually received a ticket. She went through the rest of the line and everyone got a ticket, there being about 70 people waiting.

While there may be talk of a purposeful launchday undersupply by Apple to create hype, I didn't see it. A lowly Jacksonville Best Buy had at least 70, probably more like 100, on launch day. If Apple was supplying this unimportant (media-wise) Best Buy store with such a robust supply, then there logically must have been a pretty good supply overall. This gives support to the assertion that Apple was not necessarily trying to create hype, there were just so many damn buyers.

P.S. Around me, no one had previously owned an iPad. Of 7 people I talked to, ranging from old to young, and all races, no one had owned an iPad. This speaks to the high level of demand for this product from people who are not Apple fan boys, of which I am one.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by perfdata View Post

Went to the closest Apple store today around noon and had a 32gb black wi-fi in my hands in about 3 minutes, I can't believe my timing. Not trying to rub it in, I called the store last night and they suggested showing up around noon. Said second shipment of the day, they we're opening the box when they reserved mine.

This thing is slick!

Congrats!

And this is good news indeed. I haven't heard much about resupply shipments. If they are hitting Apple stores with multiple reshipments, maybe they do have serious stock built up! This is what I have been waiting to hear.

Anybody else have first hand evidence of full scale shipments today at Apple Stores (or other retailers)?
  • Reply 11 of 46
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    While there may be talk of a purposeful launchday undersupply by Apple to create hype, I didn't see it. A lowly Jacksonville Best Buy had at least 70, probably more like 100, on launch day. If Apple was supplying this unimportant (media-wise) Best Buy store with such a robust supply, then there logically must have been a pretty good supply overall. This gives support to the assertion that Apple was not necessarily trying to create hype, there were just so many damn buyers.

Yes, tell them. Tell the Apple haters and doom bloggers let them hear.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    look people, let's not forget about a major world event in Japan.

we know they're built in China, but I'll bet some components come out of Japan.

Even if the Japanese part manufacturers weren't directly impacted (damage to facilities) - the Japanese people are (understandably) preoccupied.. plus the infrastrucutre could be damaged meaning they cant get the parts from the factories to China because of damage to roadways/runways/train tracks. 5 nuclear plants are damaged/offline - that's got to hurt.

a week delay in component delivery can wreak havoc on the whole manufacturing timeline.

for all we know the ETA was changed as a precaution... would you rather get a shipping delay notification, or be plesantly surprised by early shipping?

i wouldn't be surprised if they delayed the international ship date.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Yes, tell them. Tell the Apple haters and doom bloggers let them hear.

Friday afternoon I went to our local Best Buy to try to get one (even though I ordered one online earlier), and at 4:30 they came out with tickets matched to available inventory. Unfortunately, when they got to me (32 in line), they didn't have any more white 32GB AT&T models. So, although they had around 60 units, with 18 models my selection wasn't available. So, I think one of the contributors to the perceived issue of not enough units was the huge increase in models.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Congrats!

And this is good news indeed. I haven't heard much about resupply shipments. If they are hitting Apple stores with multiple reshipments, maybe they do have serious stock built up! This is what I have been waiting to hear.

Anybody else have first hand evidence of full scale shipments today at Apple Stores (or other retailers)?

Apple store at Mall of Louisiana had no new shipment today. Their best guess to me was Tuesday. And no telling when they'll have third party cases.

Btw, I'm a first time iPader and this thing is amazing. I feel sorry for my mbp right now, but this thing is so much fun!
  • Reply 15 of 46
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    I wonder if the japan quake will affect chip supply? Perhaps extend waits further?
  • Reply 16 of 46
    I find all these conspiracy theories amusing—well...annoying. That's the same thing, right? What you have to ask these people is: "What could Apple have done to satisfy you?"

They allowed online orders, which probably reduced the supply available to brick-and-mortar stores, thus ensuring sellouts. Conspiracy!

They could have not allowed online orders, which would make more people go to a store to pick one up. Obviously a ploy on Apple's part to increase lines as a publicity stunt! Conspiracy!

They could have delayed the announcement or launch date (or both) till they had 10 or 15 million in stock. OH...MY...GOD!!!! Can you imagine the outcry if they'd done that and it came out? The Conspiracy of the millennium! You'd have riots in the streets, mobs with torches heading for Cupertino—The Appleocalypse!

Honestly—if you're disgruntled, try to suggest something that would leave you less disgruntled. If you don't, you're nothing but a troll.

In the same vein, the complaints from people who scourge Apple for updating their equipment every year or so and making their last purchase less desirable: Are these the same people who are always saying Apple is behind on specs because they don't update often enough? I should start writing some of this stuff down.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

I agree with you totally. I live in a (very) small northern New England town. The local reseller got 40. Unfortunately no ATT-3Gs in that lot, so I did not get one on launch day. (If I'd wanted just the wifi, I could have easily picked one up). I decided to put myself on a waitlist.

(Btw, I was told that, as of this morning, all of them were gone.)
  • Reply 18 of 46
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I hate to rub it in, but the iPad 2 is off the charts. Things aren't looking so good for the Xoom:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216/a...p2-benchmarked

Spoiler: Xoom gets bitch slapped.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I agree with you totally. I live in a (very) small northern New England town. The local reseller got 40. Unfortunately no ATT-3Gs in that lot, so I did not get one on launch day. (If I'd wanted just the wifi, I could have easily picked one up). I decided to put myself on a waitlist.

(Btw, I was told that, as of this morning, all of them were gone.)

Here everyone wanted AT&T's Ipad. Verizon's Ipad was the last to go today. I was told that every store and reseller in NYC was cleaned out. I don't think Apple deliberately under shipped. I think in many cases resellers underestimated how likely their own customers would be willing to buy an Ipad. Ipad is more popular than the last one but not only that it's sexier.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I hate to rub it in, but the iPad 2 is off the charts. Things aren't looking so good for the Xoom:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216/a...p2-benchmarked

Spoiler: Xoom gets bitch slapped.

Indeed. Here are summary images from Anandtech:

First we have the best case scenario - a textured triangle:

Now for the more complex case - a fragment lit triangle test:

improvement in texturing performance earlier. The GLBenchmark texture fetch test puts numbers to that statement:

[IMG]improvement in texturing performance earlier. The GLBenchmark texture fetch test puts numbers to that statement:

I do not though the very technical part of the testing, but the same group did a very good job at analyzing the Antennagate issue also. More technical driven in its approach, rather than simply imposing their bias.

CGC