Apple's Phil Schiller says white iPhone 4 still coming this spring

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple executive Phil Schiller has confirmed via Twitter that the white iPhone 4 is on track to launch later this spring.

Schiller, who serves as senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, posted to his verified Twitter account on Sunday that "the white iPhone will be available this spring (and it is a beauty!)," as noted by Engadget.

Though Schiller's comment seems to break from company protocol, given that Apple is usually highly secretive about its unreleased products, it remains inline with comments from an Apple spokesperson last October announcing the device was delayed "until this spring."

A spring release of the white iPhone 4 also tracks with the timeline analyst Ming-Chi Kuo told AppleInsider last week. According to Kuo, Apple manufacturers will begin production of the GSM-based white iPhone 4 this month in preparation for an April launch.

Apple had originally planned to release the white iPhone 4 alongside the standard black version last June, but experienced numerous delays due to manufacturing issues. In January, AppleInsider reported that Apple had solved inconsistency issues with the white paint used for the device by partnering with a Japanese company to develop a new paint material.

The successful launch of the iPad 2 last Friday with both black and white models is likely confirmation that Apple has resolved its paint problems. During the unveiling of the redesigned tablet, Apple CEO Steve Jobs elicited laughs from the audience when he quipped that the white version of the iPad 2 would ship "from day one."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    Hmmm. Wonder if they'll come out with a white iPhone 5???
  • Reply 2 of 30
    No One Cares about iPhone 4 this close to June/July.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    I think this is more evidence that the 2011 iPhone will look almost identical to the 2010 model. The guts will get an upgrade, but I don't think the appearance will change much at all.

It also makes me wonder if the 2011 iPhone will arrive in June/July or if it will move later in the year. If the white iPhone 4 doesn't appear until "spring" that gives it a maximum shelf life of 3 months. That's short for most companies and extremely short for Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unknownz View Post

Not so. Many women I've talked to remain very interested in the white iPhone, irregardless of its version or whatever's coming next. They value asthetics over features.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    jim5656jim5656 Posts: 12member
    I feel it will be more or less a "iPhone 4S". My guess here is that apple will upgrade the A4 to the A5 just like all the analyst are saying (but anyone with a brain could assume apple would make this change) and maybe some other minor but significant upgrades on the techs of the phone.

Once the white iPhone is out, it will probably be sold out for the first few months. All the women will eat this phone up. My wife is dieing for a iPhone 4 with the pink bumper and so is every other woman.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whozown View Post

Hmmm. Wonder if they'll come out with a white iPhone 5???

I hope so. I've been wanting a white iPhone since they showed the white iPhone 4.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unknownz View Post

Agree. Why anyone would buy an iP4 now is beyond me. Must be either uninformed or simply don't care about waiting a few for the iP5.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Agree here too. The iPhone update is basically going to be a 4 with the white option, faster insides (a version of what's in the iPad 2) and maybe a 64GB version.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Correction Apple Insider.

Phil Schiller didn't say if it's an iPhone 4.

He probably just hinting that next iPhone will launch in white too.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by makingdots View Post

Correction Apple Insider.

Phil Schiller didn't say if it's an iPhone 4.

He probably just hinting that next iPhone will launch in white too.

You beat me to it. There was no mention of what model it would be.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    The iPad 2 isn't really proof that they fixed the paint. The problem was primarily caused by the flash on the iPhone 4, correct?
  • Reply 12 of 30
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Agree. Why anyone would buy an iP4 now is beyond me. Must be either uninformed or simply don't care about waiting a few for the iP5.

My car was totaled the other day and I need a new one. There is a new model of a car I might want coming in a few months, but I need a car rather earlier than that. It would be the same with phones. If my phone was somehow lost/stolen/destroyed, I would be in the market for a replacement right now.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamh View Post

My car was totaled the other day and I need a new one. There is a new model of a car I might want coming in a few months, but I need a car rather earlier than that. It would be the same with phones. If my phone was somehow lost/stolen/destroyed, I would be in the market for a replacement right now.

Several months before buying my 3GS my phone died. I purchased a cheap $30-40 phone and when the 3GS came out I ditched the old phone (which I still use for an alarm clock) and got the 3GS. No reason to spend $200-300+ on a phone now when there will be a new version in a few months when a person can get a temporary cheap phone (or pay as you go phone) to hold em over. But this is simply my opinion.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I think this is more evidence that the 2011 iPhone will look almost identical to the 2010 model. The guts will get an upgrade, but I don't think the appearance will change much at all.

I was just thinking the same. No iPhone 5 this year. Instead iPhone 4S with better performance, 64Gb option, bigger screen (3.7" or 4"), etc.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DOSbox-gamer View Post

Not so. Many women I've talked to remain very interested in the white iPhone, irregardless of its version or whatever's coming next. They value asthetics over features.

Which makes me think, that Apple will be coming out with more colors at the same time, or very shortly after the white one.

Less options, less costs, but there are those people who would buy a, said Red, Blue or other favorite colored iPhone, who MIGHT not purchase one otherwise.

Skip
  • Reply 16 of 30
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

It also makes me wonder if the 2011 iPhone will arrive in June/July or if it will move later in the year. If the white iPhone 4 doesn't appear until "spring" that gives it a maximum shelf life of 3 months. That's short for most companies and extremely short for Apple.

It will probably be in small numbers, and treated as a test run for large scale white iphone 5 production.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    patrollpatroll Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DOSbox-gamer View Post

Nice use of logic with grammar to match.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    Too little, too late, Apple. By now, everyone who wanted an iPhone 4 has gone out and purchased one, and is under contract. I wanted the white one originally, I stood in line at the Apple Store on opening day to get one, I came home disappointed, I waited MONTHS. I finally got the black one.

This is just too little, too late Apple. If you're going to market the white iPhone finally, release the white one as an option for the iPhone 5, because everybody who want(ed) the iPhone 4 has already bought one by now!
  • Reply 19 of 30
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    You guys are assuming the iPhone 5 is coming out in June. What if the phone is coming out in the fall. What if this is the basis for the rumor of the alleged iPad3 that's going thru the rumor vines. All makes sense, now.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Maybe they'll launch the next iPhone + iOS 5 at a media event in May. Announce something new at WWDC.