Speed examination outcomes indicate AT&T iPhone faster than Verizon

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Dropped calls might be what individuals associate the most with AT&T's iPhone, but the company's 3G network is quicker than Verizon's. The typical download speed on AT&T's 3G network was about two times as fast as Verizon's 3G network. Verizon iPhones might be much slower than iPhones on AT&T's 3G network, but with regards to reliability, AT&T iPhones dropped calls during the tests, just as individuals expected they would.

With regards to the iPhone, selecting AT&T over Verizon can be good

Before switching to Verizon for a new phone because of AT&T’s dropped calls, think about this again. When connecting to the Speedtest.net app, the numbers were looked at for both AT&T and Verizon iPhones by Ookla. The Verizon iPhones were half as fast as the AT&T iPhone data transfers. Ookla compiled the speed examination outcomes from 42,000 AT&T iPhones and 14,000 Verizon iPhones around the U.S. Most iPhone users ran the Speedtest.net app several times to total 106,000 AT&T iPhone tests and 40,000 Verizon iPhone tests.

Details on the Verizon iPhone tests

Speed examinations outcomes for AT&T iPhone downloads averaged 1,769 kbps and uploads averaged 730 kbps. The Verizon iPhone averaged 846 kbps for downloads and 606 kbps for uploads. Verizon iPhones are more reliable although AT&T iPhones may have a greater speed. Because of a dropped connection, AT&T iPhones could not even complete the examination sometimes. The Verizon iPhone was noticeably slower but was able to maintain the connection through every examination. The corporations both know each others’ weaknesses. This is shown in the advertising wars. AT&T touts “the nation’s fastest 3G network.” Verizon advertises “America’s Largest and Most Reliable Wireless Network.”

How to pick the right iPhone

Before selecting between AT&T and Verizon, iPhone users ought to think about how they will use their device. You will want AT&T if you're planning to consume media mostly. If dependability is at the top of the list, Verizon is the easy choice. Want to see how fast your iPhone’s 3G network is? Try using the Speedtest.net app for it. With the iPhone, you are able to get the Speedtest.net app for free. Go to the Apple App Store to do this.

Articles cited

Wired

wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/02/iphone-speedtest/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm _campaign=Feed: wired/index (Wired: Index 3 (Top Stories 2))&utm_content=Google Reader

NPR

npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/02/17/133849171/on-the-iphone-at-t-network-is-faster-than-verizons

MSNBC

msnbc.msn.com/id/41485079/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    And if you really want speed buy the HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon's LTE network.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/03...ly-fast-video/

This is Apple's real competition over the next year. If they don't come out with a LTE device on Verizon they will be way behind the eight ball, especially with the Droid Bionic coming soon as well with dual core 1 Ghz processor.

Verizon's way out in front on LTE in the US and the data rates seem to be much faster than they had predicted. We'll see if they can maintain it.

If Apple does have a LTE version of the iPhone for VZW then that could really hurt AT&T, because you can do data and voice simultaneously when on LTE and LTE is superfast.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. MacPhisto View Post

This is Apple's real competition over the next year. If they don't come out with a LTE device on Verizon they will be way behind the eight ball

Like the iPhone 2G was before the 3G came out? Not really.

Quote:

especially with the Droid Bionic coming soon as well with dual core 1 Ghz processor.

A5's dual core, so that's covered.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Like the iPhone 2G was before the 3G came out? Not really.

The iPhone isn't the cutting edge anymore. Android has caught up and is the marketshare leader. The iPhone was extremely innovative when it hit. It helped expand the desire to do more data on phones.

The iPhone won't go away, but the marketshare will decay if it avoids LTE for too long. LTE Android phones will help solidify Android's spot at the top. Android jumped Blackberry is less than 2.5 years.

Apple likes to think they can dictate when users adopt technology, but the phone marketplace is very fluid. iPhone 3GS contracts are coming up around when iPhone 5 launches. If there is no LTE and they see blazing fast Android LTE phones for $200 or less (my bet is Thunderbolt will be $150 or $200 by June), how many will buy a new iPhone if they hop to Verizon? Will they decide to go Android instead?

We'll see what happens and compare the iPhone 5 launch with the iPhone 4. They now have VZW and AT&T, so it should be bigger or as big. If there is a drop off then I'd expect the numbers to begin a downward trend for marketshare with AT&T beginning to also push Android more.

Quote:

A5's dual core, so that's covered.

Assuming the iPhone 5 gets the A5. It probably will, but the Bionic will likely beat it to the market. And if the Bionic is dual core and can routinely get 15-20mbps downloads and 10-15mbps uploads as users of Thunderbolt are reporting then who wins?

How many videos will we see of the iPhone seemingly struggling to load a webpage versus the Verizon LTE technology.

Apple needs to have a LTE phone available for Verizon this summer. If they wait too long it may hurt the brand. Apple is often arrogant about this kind of thing and I have a feeling one of the reasons they went to VZW is because they know they need to have a LTE handset.

And if iPhone 5 launches with a LTE exclusive handset on Verizon then how screwed is AT&T? I'd guess they'd lose most of the contracts that would be coming up while also lamenting that by the time the iPhone 4 contracts are up that Verizon will have most of its network with LTE availability and AT&T will have spotty LTE coverage coupled with still spotty 3G coverage and places where the phones will still kick it old school with EDGE.

LTE has been VZW's push for years. They prepared the roadmap for this and favored building their network instead of building their brand based on a phone. AT&T is so reliant on the iPhone and that's where they made a mistake - and Apple played them. Smart of Apple to do it - they got a lot more revenue out of AT&T and now can go to VZW and eventually open up to everyone. AT&T didn't do a good job protecting their cell business and won't be going bankrupt or anything, but could lose a BILLION in annual revenues.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member
    I have been an iPhone user since July 1, 2007 and have had every model. I now have both in my hand as I wanted to see which would truly work better for me. Verizon is blowing AT&T out of the water. To put it simply, the iPhone is working like it was meant too. I am on a family plan and speed is critical to my wife who is trying the Thunderbolt and it works great where 4G LTE is available in the San Francisco Bay Area. Her desk at work is hit or miss. So, I will have to wait and see if I get to keep my Vphone. I have not ported yet but am willing to suck up the $600 early termination for my wife and I since Verizon is proving to work. My 2 cents.