G5 or not, when do we see new motherboards?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I have no clue if Apple going to release a G5 soon or not, and frankly I dont care. A G4 över 1 ghz is oki with me. Whats not oki with me is the current motherboards in the PowerMacs. It sucks to be frankly.

I want it all, faster bus-speed, better RAM, USB 2, etc etc. It's embarrassing that a computer that cost as much as the PowerMac-line has this stinky motherboard.

The question is when a new motherboard is gonna arive. Any thoughts?

roger

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Zadak:

<strong>I have no clue if Apple going to release a G5 soon or not, and frankly I dont care. A G4 över 1 ghz is oki with me. Whats not oki with me is the current motherboards in the PowerMacs. It sucks to be frankly.

I want it all, faster bus-speed, better RAM, USB 2, etc etc. It's embarrassing that a computer that cost as much as the PowerMac-line has this stinky motherboard.

The question is when a new motherboard is gonna arive. Any thoughts?

roger</strong><hr></blockquote>

The mobo of the new powermac does not suck at all even if there is only SDRAM memory. At XLR8-mac there is benchmarks about memory : and in many test the G4 is superior to an athlon with DDR memory. The PCI bus of the mac is excellent also : 215 mBytes per second.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    The mobo of the current G4 does not completely suck. Just mostly. It is NOT A MODERN COMPUTER WITHOUT AlL THOSE EXTRA YUMMIES THAT PC USERS GET! GRR!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 4 of 13
    That's what Apple gets for using CPUs aimed at the embedded market. It's always good to know that we cannot have ddr RAM because our CPUs are designed to work in toasters and vacuum cleaners.

:
  • Reply 5 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>That's what Apple gets for using CPUs aimed at the embedded market. It's always good to know that we cannot have ddr RAM because our CPUs are designed to work in toasters and vacuum cleaners.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

"CPUs aimed at the embedded market"?

When was the last time you saw a Celeron, PentiumIII(-M) or VIA C3 in a toaster or vacuum cleaner?

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 6 of 13
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    MWNY
  • Reply 7 of 13
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Apple just released a new PowerMac. It will be some time before you'll see that new motherboard., and you must be an idiot if you think that PC users are are getting all the goodies, because it seems that the dual 1Ghz G4's are are smoking dual 2GHz P4's. I just saw a chart posted somewhere the other day done by some indy benchmark place, and all I recall was the Dual 1GHz G4's vs every other Dual Machine imaginable, and the G4 doubled the performance of the closest compeditor, and it was not the dual 2GHz P4. The dual 1.8GHz P3 toped the P4, and the Dual AMD T-Bird toped that. These were not photoshop tests either.

Also, tech TV's gaming show had a demo of Giants on the Mac, and Adam Sesler said that the PC counterpart could not even render fast enough to play the game. (This was before the Dual GHz G4's came out) , the new iMac was an awesome gameing machine. With No DDR, No ATA 133, No USB 2.0, No MotherBoard enhancements.

We have the best performing compuiters made right now, and they don't even need all all that crap, and your still bitching.

I hope your gone when the G5's come out, and sitting at your POS PC saying I used to use a Mac.

You know what I'm tired of??????? All you freaking whining PC crossovers that come in, and whine all the time.

Go TO A PC Chat Room, Or Shut The F**k Up!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by onlooker:

<strong>

You know what I'm tired of??????? All you freaking whining PC crossovers that come in, and whine all the time.

Go TO A PC Chat Room, Or Shut The F**k Up!</strong><hr></blockquote>

You know what? I'm tired of all you religious mac zealots who don't know when they're being handed crap on a silver platter by Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by cowofwar:

<strong>You know what? I'm tired of all you religious mac zealots who don't know when they're being handed crap on a silver platter by Apple.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Says who?

Specs are fine and dandy, but the simple fact is that the people who are complaining about the new PowerMacs are complaining about the spec sheet, and everyone who has actually sat down and used one of the new duals has been impressed by the speed - including <a href="http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_apple_cooling/page2.shtml"; target="_blank">people who could not be called "mac zealots"</a>.

That tells me that in real world use, which is the only context in which performance can be meaningfully determined, the new machines are up to snuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat some DDR machines, given that DDR performance varies wildly with the quality of the implementation. It also tells me that if Apple can get all that oomph out of something as lopsided as two GHz processors feeding off a 133MHz bus, then any machine they release that's fed by a fatter pipe will scream.

MPX might be an SDR bus, but it's a highly efficient bus attached to CPUs derived from a chip (the G3) that was specifically designed to perform well on a slow bus. The results speak for themselves. That's not even to mention the performance improvements achieved by the included software - which, again, is what matters to the professionals who will be eyeing these machines. They don't care how a computer speeds up their work, they just care that it does.

Go to an Apple Store. Use one of these machines. Then tell me if it's crap on a (quick)silver platter.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    wfzellewfzelle Posts: 137member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>everyone who has actually sat down and used one of the new duals has been impressed by the speed - That tells me that in real world use, which is the only context in which performance can be meaningfully determined, the new machines are up to snuff.</strong><hr></blockquote>

There is more to a good machine than speed. I want to be able to toss a 180GB hard drive in it in the future. I want Firewire 2 and preferably USB 2 so that I can easily extend the machine. And a particular processor is often needed for certain possibilities. You can only run OS X on a G3 for instance (good I bought the first G3 instead of a 6500), DVD Pro and iDVD only run on the G4. I don't want to buy the last generation of a processor for this reason.

In short, I want my machine to last. That's why I buy a PowerMac and not an iMac. The dual-G4 1Ghz is a great machine for professionals that replace their machine every 1.5/2 years, but it's not my machine.

PS. That review is hardly extensive. I see exactly zero benchmarks. Plus the guy works at an Apple Authorised Retailer. He seems to have experience with macs, nowhere he makes any claims of the speed compared to PC's.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>That's what Apple gets for using CPUs aimed at the embedded market. It's always good to know that we cannot have ddr RAM because our CPUs are designed to work in toasters and vacuum cleaners.

:</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wouldn't exactly call the Nintendo Game Cube or a high performance Cisco router a toaster or a vacuum cleaner.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    [quote]Originally posted by onlooker:

<strong>Apple just released a new PowerMac. It will be some time before you'll see that new motherboard., and you must be an idiot if you think that PC users are are getting all the goodies, because it seems that the dual 1Ghz G4's are are smoking dual 2GHz P4's.... These were not photoshop tests either.

Also, tech TV's gaming show had a demo of Giants on the Mac, and Adam Sesler said that the PC counterpart could not even render fast enough to play the game. (This was before the Dual GHz G4's came out) , the new iMac was an awesome gameing machine. With No DDR, No ATA 133, No USB 2.0, No MotherBoard enhancements.

We have the best performing compuiters made right now, and they don't even need all all that crap, and your still bitching.

I hope your gone when the G5's come out, and sitting at your POS PC saying I used to use a Mac.

Go TO A PC Chat Room, Or Shut The F**k Up!</strong><hr></blockquote>

You seriously need to calm down some. The current towers aren't as bad some people make out but nor are they the "the best performing computers made right now" (at least not for my industry).

Apple definitely has work to do on their processors and motherboards or they do risk falling behind quite badly.

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: Telomar ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 13
    USB 2 sucks! Firewire is so much faster! Why do all the DV camarers use firewire? Plus all people really care about is real performance. Just because your car has a 4 liter engine it does not make it better than an a 1.5 liter. Apple have proved this with there photoshop benchmarks. Apples daul G4 toastst very PC in the market and you try an nit pick with motherboard specs.