Some Apple retail stores plan to open early Tuesday for iPad 2 sales

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
As customers continue to contend with scarce available stock of the iPad 2, some Apple stores plan to open an hour early on Tuesday just for iPad 2 buyers.

As first reported by AppleBitch, some customers around the country have received word from their local stores will open early Tuesday. Most stores open at 10 a.m., so the new time would be 9 a.m. local time.

AppleInsider also contacted a number of retail stores and received a variety of responses, from employees who expect new stock on Tuesday along with an early opening, to others who said they do not know when shipments of the iPad 2 will arrive, and knew nothing of an early Tuesday opening.

Regardless, it would appear that some stores are planning to have inventory available come Tuesday morning, and will sell them first to customers who arrive early for an iPad 2.

By Saturday, the iPad 2 was largely sold out at Apple's retail stores and all other retail partners that sold the product at launch. A few analysts who checked with stores around the country found that stock was 100 percent sold out before the weekend was out.

Employees at Apple's retail stores have said they expect to continue to receive shipments of the iPad 2 on a regular basis. However, no stores contacted by AppleInsider could offer any specifics as to when new stock would become available at their location.

Apple indicated on Monday that initial demand for the iPad 2 has been "amazing." The company said it is working to increase availability "as quickly as possible," but offered no other details or information.

Over the weekend, new online orders for the iPad 2 placed through Apple's store had their estimated shipping date pushed back as far as a month. It is believed that Apple sold at least a half million of the iPad 2 over the weekend, though some more bullish estimates have pegged the number at one million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As customers continue to contend with scarce available stock of the iPad 2, some Apple stores plan to open an hour early on Tuesday just for iPad 2 buyers.

As first reported by AppleBitch, some customers around the country have received word from their local stores will open early Tuesday. Most stores open at 10 a.m., so the new time would be 9 a.m. local time.

AppleInsider also contacted a number of retail stores and received a variety of responses, from employees who expect new stock on Tuesday along with an early opening, to others who said they do not know when shipments of the iPad 2 will arrive, and knew nothing of an early Tuesday opening.

Regardless, it would appear that some stores are planning to have inventory available come Tuesday morning, and will sell them first to customers who arrive early for an iPad 2.

By Saturday, the iPad 2 was largely sold out at Apple's retail stores and all other retail partners that sold the product at launch. A few analysts who checked with stores around the country found that stock was 100 percent sold out before the weekend was out.

Employees at Apple's retail stores have said they expect to continue to receive shipments of the iPad 2 on a regular basis. However, no stores contacted by AppleInsider could offer any specifics as to when new stock would become available at their location.

Apple indicated on Monday that initial demand for the iPad 2 has been "amazing." The company said it is working to increase availability "as quickly as possible," but offered no other details or information.

Over the weekend, new online orders for the iPad 2 placed through Apple's store had their estimated shipping date pushed back as far as a month. It is believed that Apple sold at least a half million of the iPad 2 over the weekend, though some more bullish estimates have pegged the number at one million.

If they have them in the stores this week I think I may trade my Ipad in for a 3g model Ipad. I haven't decided yet....
  • Reply 2 of 36
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    I scooped a 64gb White Ipad at Target...everywhere else was sold out. I was told the Local Walmart and Best Buy had more of the 16gb and 32gb models but quickly sold out.

Now the issue is everyone wants to use it at home. My MacBook Pro and Ipod Touch 4th Gen, and 2 Iphone 4's are being pushed to the side by fellow family members. I see this as becoming the only thing they want to use from now on. I may be picking up 2 more 32gb's Ipads.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As first reported by AppleBitch

I don't know if would trust a report from Motorola.....oh wait.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Around here everything was sold out except for Verizon 3g iPads... they still had a hefty stock of those.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    I ordered mine online at 1:10 AM Friday morning and still don't have a shipping notice. I'm not happy. Really wish they would have used the same launch strategy that the Verizon iPhone used. Where online orders were taken before retail launch and set to be delivered the day of retail launch. But I guess Apple wanted the free press of long lines.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Around here everything was sold out except for Verizon 3g iPads... they still had a hefty stock of those.

I simply hate the idea of being gouged by verizon of AT&T. iPad 2s at AT&T's website require 2-year contract, but zero break in subsidized pricing.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juggernaut30 View Post

I ordered mine online at 1:10 AM Friday morning and still don't have a shipping notice. I'm not happy. Really wish they would have used the same launch strategy that the Verizon iPhone used. Where online orders were taken before retail launch and set to be delivered the day of retail launch. But I guess Apple wanted the free press of long lines.

Cancel your online order and go to the store instead. You might get lucky.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    The downside with the current method of reaching new customers so far is the number of iPad 2s that have ended up on eBay, being sold at ridiculously high premium. These new "customers" have no vested interest in the iPad, only profit to be made.

My point is, loyal mac fans who cannot wait for Apple to "ramp up" may end up being penalized for liking the platform too much.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

The downside with the current method of reaching new customers so far is the number of iPad 2s that have ended up on eBay, being sold at ridiculously high premium. These new "customers" have no vested interest in the iPad, only profit to be made.

My point is, loyal mac fans who cannot wait for Apple to "ramp up" may end up being penalized for liking the platform too much.

Well if an iPad2 is worth 1k to you and it's selling at $499 right now, you can certainly choose share your $500 consumer surplus with some ebay flipper, or you can just wait in line every morning in order to get 1, but pay some time cost. This is capitalism at work my friend.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Don't report this! Now people will know!
  • Reply 11 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Well if an iPad2 is worth 1k to you and it's selling at $499 right now, you can certainly choose share your $500 consumer surplus with some ebay flipper, or you can just wait in line every morning in order to get 1, but pay some time cost. This is capitalism at work my friend.

Right you are.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:

I'm just saying... the number (of new customer) is misleading.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    These reports are correct.

My source says that almost all stores which are normally open during the week at 8am for those personal training sessions and early Genius Bar appointments will take folks from the ipad line IF there is stock. That is the catch, there's no promise there will be.

Also from what I understand, managers were told to only sell what they have at the time, any shipments that come in go for the next day. So once they say they are out, they are out for the day. So don't bother showing up at 5pm thinking you can grab an ipad.

Frankly I think it sucks a little. I think they should go to reservations. That's what they did after launch weekend for the iphone 4. Sure you still had to wait and sure they probably still didn't open up new shipments the same day and that crap but at least you got an email and had the day to show up instead of standing in line wasting your time and perhaps ending up with nothing.

AND I think they should hold back like 20-25% of whatever hits the main warehouse to fill those online orders faster than a month from now. or at least say 10%. In the end, its the gross numbers now where they were bought that is going to wow folks so spread it around
  • Reply 14 of 36
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    The bad news:

-No iPads to be had in all of New York City!

The good news:

- plenty of Xooms and Tabs!

• Reply 15 of 36
    I think I would reword it:

Bad news

No Ipad 2s anywhere

and more bad news

plenty of Xooms and tabs!
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by happyden View Post

Bad news

No Ipad 2s anywhere

and more bad news

This just in--

http://www.electronista.com/articles....100m.devices/
  • Reply 17 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by happyden View Post

Bad news

No Ipad 2s anywhere

and more good news

but they are being ignored.

There, I fixed it for you.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juggernaut30 View Post

Judging from the fact they have already sold out at every store that got them, my guess is that they didn't offer preorders because they knew they might be short on supply.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

Judging from the fact they have already sold out at every store that got them, my guess is that they didn't offer preorders because they knew they might be short on supply.

its all publicity...if 500k people order online e and get a fed-ex package no one cares, if 500k people line up at malls, target, walmart, sams and so on, the satellite trucks show up with the news crews saying "APPLE DOES IT AGAIN, LOOK, People lining up and running like pigs to slaughter!"

This is not a bad thing, very shrewd marketing, free ads in the "news" portion of the show in every major TV market in this country. I got to the apple store after work at 7 on Friday night...they said that even after two hours of sales, the line was still 3 hours long...I can wait, $500 is enough, I am not interested in donating three hours of my time to a PR stunt.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:

Well... It is capitalism of sorts... but it isn't a very business financially prudent variant. It's more of the mass hysteria over Tickle Me Elmo, or Cabbage Patch dolls, only stranger. At least with the childrens toys, the time value issue was over the need to have it for Christmas or else your child would be very upset.

In the case of the iPad2 there isn't that same time constraint. Is somebody really going to get $250 - $400 value out of having it 3 or 4 weeks earlier? Maybe if it is a birthday gift for somebody born on 3/17... but otherwise I suspect it is basically for bragging rights.

If you are business professional and could make valuable use of Facetime... then it could easily be worth the premium.

For bragging rights I think it is kinda stupid, but if you are fortunate to have lots of money to burn, what the heck. I can wait 3 or 4 or 5 weeks just fine.